What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater Salt System?  (Read 9094 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Freshwater Salt System?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 11:06:36 pm »
If pouring a cup of bleach in your tub after your soak is a big deal. You need more exercise. They say the water can be softer, that's something.

In the meantime people buy Tide Pods at a 50% cost increase (not me of course) so can avoid the laborious chore of measuring & pouring liquid/powder laundry detergent.

On Shark Tank they always ask "what problem is this solving" but just as often new ideas/products come out to make something more convenient even if the old way seems to work fine without too much effort.

Its the way of the world and I don't see it changing much short of a zombie apocalypse!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 11:06:36 pm »

Qrose

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 08:13:18 am »
I have had my Hotsprings Aria with freshwater salt for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. My water is crystal clear and feels wonderful. I’ve had hot tubs before and would always have to shower after using it so using it before bed was a chore. I’ve used this every night since I’ve had it and can go straight to bed without showering it’s a lifesaver for me. One night I was a little itchy and checked my chemicals my PH was a little high so I check my chemicals everyday to keep that PH perfect. I have used a tiny bit of chlorine a few times and shock it once or twice a week with non chlorine shock. We are heavy users. I have a coolzone and love to relax in it on these hot AZ nights. All hot tubs have a cost of maintenance and I don’t think this one is bad at all.

silversun

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 12:15:50 pm »
Bud - Love the idea of managing the hot tub using bleach/dichlor and just adding salt with each refill. Your post from gave me the inspiration to buy some salt and give it a try. It will arrive later this week.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration? Here's my plan.. I'd love to get your thoughts:
- refill and balance water, use dichlor first ~2 weeks.
- lower alkalinity to ~60, increase calcium to ~250, and switch to bleach (my standard procedure)
- add whatever amount of salt to achieve 2500-3000 ppm in my 410 gallon tub.

sounds right?
can i add the salt right away, before i build up the CYA levels?

bud16415

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 09:27:35 am »
Bud - Love the idea of managing the hot tub using bleach/dichlor and just adding salt with each refill. Your post from gave me the inspiration to buy some salt and give it a try. It will arrive later this week.

Is there anything I need to take into consideration? Here's my plan.. I'd love to get your thoughts:
- refill and balance water, use dichlor first ~2 weeks.
- lower alkalinity to ~60, increase calcium to ~250, and switch to bleach (my standard procedure)
- add whatever amount of salt to achieve 2500-3000 ppm in my 410 gallon tub.

sounds right?
can i add the salt right away, before i build up the CYA levels?

I add my salt right away into the cold water when I fill. We have similar size tubs and I use 7 pounds. I start with the dichlor
and watch the CYA number stopping when it hits around 50PPM and switching back if it drops to 30PPM. About 1 tablespoon per day
is what i use and when I switch to bleach i do 1/3 cup per day.

It is fairly simple and cheap to do.

silversun

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 10:41:54 am »
Thanks for this, Bud. I tried this and love the results!!
I'm up around 3,000 PPM, which I understand is on the high side. I'm planning to replace some water from splash out, and I understand adding bleach does increase salt a little, so I'm guessing the actual PPM will fluctuate a little, and thats probably OK?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 10:41:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42