What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater Salt System?  (Read 9082 times)

stlhottubber

Freshwater Salt System?
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:03:57 am »
Anyone have feedback on the new Freshwater salt system?  We have a 3 year old Pulse with the ace system, but the freshwater system seems to be much easier than the ace.  A family member has been offering to buy our Pulse, so thinking of getting a new Pulse with the freshwater. 

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater Salt System?
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:03:57 am »

Johnrb3

Re: Freshwater Salt System?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:05 am »
I recently purchased a hot spring grandee with the Freshwater Salt System.  So far it’s been great.  I used to have a Hot Spring Vista with the Ace system.  I like that with the newer freshwater system that you don’t have to mess with descaling the Ace electrode or worry about the high cost of replacing it as it ages.  With the new system you just replace the electrode for a new one about once a month.  If you have any specific questions just let me know and I’d be happy to try and answer?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:23:47 am by Johnrb3 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:29:01 am »
descaling the Ace electrode or worry about the high cost of replacing it as it ages.  With the new system you just replace the electrode for a new one about once a month.  If you have any specific questions just let me know and I’d be happy to try and answer?

How much does a new electrode cost?
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:40 am »
descaling the Ace electrode or worry about the high cost of replacing it as it ages.  With the new system you just replace the electrode for a new one about once a month.  If you have any specific questions just let me know and I’d be happy to try and answer?

I have it on my Caldera Geneva as well. Replace the electrode every 3-4 months. They sell in packs of 4 for roughly $250-$300.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:16:31 am »

I have it on my Caldera Geneva as well. Replace the electrode every 3-4 months. They sell in packs of 4 for roughly $250-$300.

26 bucks for 5 lbs of dichlor (should last a couple years) and 1.29 for a gallon of bleach per month. Converting salt to chlorine seems expensive.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:13:34 am »
Nice thing with that system is if it seems too expensive to some its easily converted back to chlorine.  Peronally for me it comes down to convenience.  I really don't have to do much other then throw a bit of ph minus in every few weeks. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:40 pm »
Nice thing with that system is if it seems too expensive to some its easily converted back to chlorine.  Peronally for me it comes down to convenience.  I really don't have to do much other then throw a bit of ph minus in every few weeks.

For me I don't need a car with all the fancy bells/whistles or a spa that takes care of itself but you have to give people what they want and we all know a large % of customers want things to work automatically whether its a pool, spa, car, vacuum... Oh well at least the spa salt/chlorine generator cost is coming down. When my wife routinely asks why I still water my rather large garden by hand rather than set up an auto-system I just roll my eyes a bit and tell her I'm fine with doing it manually and it helps me be sure everything is in order.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 02:12:11 pm »
All personal preference.  I'm still on ACE... for now.  Works great, automatic, costly.

Freshwater Salt works pretty much like ACE, but a lot less expensive.  It's actually less expensive than Frog @Ease... think about it.

The Cartridge shouldn't be changed every month though... if you are doing that you will spend big bucks.  4 months is what Watkins recommends. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 05:32:58 pm »

For me I don't need a car with all the fancy bells/whistles or a spa that takes care of itself but you have to give people what they want and we all know a large % of customers want things to work automatically whether its a pool, spa, car, vacuum... Oh well at least the spa salt/chlorine generator cost is coming down. When my wife routinely asks why I still water my rather large garden by hand rather than set up an auto-system I just roll my eyes a bit and tell her I'm fine with doing it manually and it helps me be sure everything is in order.

For me I work 80-90 hours every week.  When I want to use my pool or hot Tub I want it to be ready.  That's why my pool is all automated and why I went with a salt tub.  I loved my Marquis Resort but have noticed the water is a lot easier to maintain on my Caldera with the salt system.   

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 07:52:15 am »
The after market external salt to chlorine gen. units are cheap to install, all you need is a 120v GFCI to plug into and can be bought for under 250 bucks. There are a few brands on the market. The replacement anode are about 100. If you soak them in vinegar once a month over night they last for years. Most of these units will work up to 1000-2000 gallons of water if needed, timer set to shorter time cycles for less water. The only thing they involve is when you open the cover you take the anode out and put it in a holder you attach to the side of the tub and you have to remember to put it back in the tub before you cover it.

Any tub can be converted to salt.

I haven’t switched mine to a salt gen because Dichlor/liquid bleach is too simple, cheap and quick as well. The only drawback is if you go away for more than a week you need a backup plan to keep the tub sanitized. I have been opting to put a @ease cartridge in when I go away maybe once a year for a two-week vacation.

On the other hand I like the feel of the salt in the water and I do add 7 pounds of pool salt to each water change in my Caldera Geneva. Even though I’m not using it for making chlorine.   

Sam

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 05:27:21 pm »

On the other hand I like the feel of the salt in the water and I do add 7 pounds of pool salt to each water change in my Caldera Geneva. Even though I’m not using it for making chlorine.

Are you still having good luck with this?  No issues to report?  The water definitely feels softer?  What is the ratio of salt to gallons? 

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 09:37:49 am »

Are you still having good luck with this?  No issues to report?  The water definitely feels softer?  What is the ratio of salt to gallons?

Yep on my third fill with salt and no issues.

I use the same salt to water ratio as if I had a salt system. They say it is less than a human tear in terms of salt.

I do feel the water is different and like the feel and it also seems to make the tub more stable chemical wise. I don’t have any scientific proof of that though but it seems that way. 

I like it and it’s no different than if I converted the tub to salt system so I’m not too worried. Salt doesn’t cost hardly anything. So I’m going to keep on doing it.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 02:28:03 pm »

26 bucks for 5 lbs of dichlor (should last a couple years) and 1.29 for a gallon of bleach per month. Converting salt to chlorine seems expensive.

It's not for every customer, its convenient, the guy rolling up to my store in an $80,000 Mercedes isn't worried about an extra $300 a year, his time is worth more money than that....some people pay more for ease and convenience

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »

It's not for every customer, its convenient, the guy rolling up to my store in an $80,000 Mercedes isn't worried about an extra $300 a year, his time is worth more money than that....some people pay more for ease and convenience

Exactly my point. It’s not for everybody. Since this system came out 90% of tubs with that option have bought it from me

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:22:17 am »
If pouring a cup of bleach in your tub after your soak is a big deal. You need more exercise. They say the water can be softer, that's something.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:22:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42