What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine too high in New HS Envoy  (Read 2264 times)

mkhutchison

Chlorine too high in New HS Envoy
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:04:20 am »
First, thanks again for your helpful comments on our purchase questions. We happily took delivery of our new HS envoy on Thursday and it was up and running yesterday. Unfortunately, our chlorine reading is at 10 according to the strips. We started with 10.25 cups of salt and had a good salt reading, then added granular chlorine based on instructions from our dealer (added less than low end recommended on the bottle). We clearly should have added less than we did. Really want to use the tub ASAP - what should we do?

Add hydrogen peroxide?
Lower output from 5 to 3 for now?
Anything else?

I really am hoping to to drain it if I can avoid.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine too high in New HS Envoy
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:04:20 am »

castletonia

Re: Chlorine too high in New HS Envoy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:16:44 am »
If that is the initial dose of chlorine, it will dissipate quickly, like within 12 hours probably.  The first dose of chlorine always goes away quickly since your source water needs to be initially sanitized.  Do not lower the output on your salt system.  5 will already be too low.  I advise all of my customers to start off at 10 and dial it back as needed.  My guess is you will end up settling on a 7-9 depending on usage.  Also, it is fine to use granular chlorine on startup but switch to liquid chlorine whenever you need to add more chlorine.

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 09:29:20 am »
Most public pools are that high or higher. I wouldn't want it that high for long term but it will come down really quickly. Nothing to worry about or drain the tub.

mkhutchison

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:30:15 am »
Thanks for the very quick reply! Ok, so just be patient.

We will switch to liquid chlorine. Sorry to ask such dumb questions, but we are new owners and I don’t want to mess it up. Do you add liquid chlorine only if you test and the level is lower than 3? Or do you add a certain amount regularly? Approx how much and how often would you recommend? Mostly just going to be me and my husband.

The materials from the dealer say to add oxidizer weekly, test chlorine levels weekly (add if necessary?), and to shock monthly with the chlorine granules to 5ppm.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:35:14 am »
Adding any chlorine is done on a need be basic.  If it is just the two of you, it might be never.  If you have a party and the hot tub gets heavy use, then it is a good idea to add some afterward.  If you use bleach, probably 2-3 ounces is sufficient unless the water is in bad condition, then 6-8 ounces may be necessary.  If you use liquid pool shock, it is twice as strong so cut your dosage in half.  Also, have your dealer test for phosphates.  High phosphates can prevent salt systems from producing chlorine, or at least reduce how efficiently they do so.

mkhutchison

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:14:47 am »
Thanks again! Appreciate all of the advice. Happy hot-tubbing.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:14:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42