What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used D1 Chariman or New Master Twilight?  (Read 6374 times)

rzrfan

Used D1 Chariman or New Master Twilight?
« on: December 27, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »
I am trying to decide between a used (2017) Chariman or a New Master Twilight spa.

My D1 dealer has a used Chairman for $9,500, this will be a private sale, not tax and includes delivery and 2 year warranty from my local dealer. 

Or a new Twilight for $10K OTD.

I really like the Chariman jet configuration, neck pillows, etc.  Any concerns I should be aware of with buying a used tub?
I also like the reviews on build quality of Master.

Hot Tub Forum

Used D1 Chariman or New Master Twilight?
« on: December 27, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »

Sam

Re: Used D1 Chariman or New Master Twilight?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 02:10:18 pm »
The Chairman is an awesome spa and one of my favorite.  I think that's a little high though.  If you could get it down $8k or less I would jump on it.

swilly1000

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
Most of the dealers but none of the end users on this forum dislike Master.

I have a TS8.25 and I love it.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 03:43:18 pm »

Not to start a pointless argument, but you claim nobody here likes Master without anyone else even talking bad about them in this thread.  As a salesman one of the first things I was taught was that you do not talk down upon the competition, even when what you are saying is true.  Sell yourself and your product.  In this case, you are a happy Master Spa owner.  Tell others why a Master Spa was the right choice for you instead of complaining about why others do not like the brand you bought.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »
I have no idea what a D1 Chairman sells for but to me the price seems a bit high considering it is still a used hot tub.  I would have a handful of questions on this one.  First, how reputable is the dealer?  It's important but even more so here since they are the ones backing the warranty, not D1.  Also, what is the overall condition of the hot tub?  Do you get a new cover, new filters?  Does it come with a cover lift, chemicals and step?  Can you see it up and running?  Why does your dealer have a used hot tub that is only 2 years old?  I have no personal experience with D1 but they have a good reputation.  I just have reservations considering you can buy a lot of brand new hot tubs for $10k.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 04:10:27 pm »

The product is what it is, no better or worse then your other mid level spas that sell for 8-10k, what most of us dislike is their traveling circus that comes into cities once a year and unloads product and leaves town leaving a bad name for the industry overall, that's really it and honestly it doesn't even affect most markets, just a few that they travel through...I think all the "hate" is really over-blown/misplaced imo

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 04:32:07 pm »

I could give you hundreds of unhappy Master Spa users.

Been doing this a long time and likely saw more 5-8 YO masters that were junk than any other brand. Energy hungry complaints abound.

But they fall where they should. A middle of the road tub.

The OP should know that swillys tub is less than a year old. Give it 5 more years and you will wonder how good of a deal you really got.

D1, one of the best brands out there. Master Spa, middle of the road energy hog.

https://www.bbb.org/us/in/fort-wayne/profile/hot-tub-manufacturing/master-spas-0352-10011179/complaints

Everyone is entitled to their opinion swilly. I'll respect yours more in a few years.

The OP can choose the value of whatever opinion they want. A newbie user who was convinced "hot tub university" was a legit site. Or a seasoned dealer or independent repair guy with 30-40 years of hot tub experience, some who have carried MS in the past, or worked on tons of them. I have likely worked on close to 100 of them over the years of my experience.

But hey that won't matter to swilly cause he has owned one for a few months.

I agree with some of the others. I would take that D1 over 2 new Masters, but the used price is a bit high.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:58:54 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

rzrfan

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 06:46:19 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  To be honest, I am not surprised about the love them or hate them reputation for Master.

For what is worth...
New Chairman is around $14,500, the used one is discounted by about 1/3, plus no tax (which is about $1K on a new tub).
The previous owner was "an old lady that has to move", not sure I buy the story, but that is what they told me.
Includes new filters, new cover, new steps, delivery and startup kit.
I have not yet, but I will go see it if I move forward with the used purchase.

I am going to try and get the used price down a bit and go that route.  If that is not possible, I think it is very close on the two units, maybe I will let the wife decide which she likes better. 

I am looking at this way, a used Lexus or a new Ford, plenty of people buy both.

castletonia

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 06:57:14 pm »
If you do have reservations about their story, get the serial # and call D1.  They should be able to provide you any warranty service work that had been done.  A new cover, filters, step, etc is good.

I assume these are from different dealers.  Factor in the reputation of each dealer and if possible, wet test.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »
I am looking at this way, a used Lexus or a new Ford, plenty of people buy both.

This is absolutely the truth......
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 12:01:36 pm »

Not to start a pointless argument, but you claim nobody here likes Master without anyone else even talking bad about them in this thread.  As a salesman one of the first things I was taught was that you do not talk down upon the competition, even when what you are saying is true.  Sell yourself and your product.  In this case, you are a happy Master Spa owner.  Tell others why a Master Spa was the right choice for you instead of complaining about why others do not like the brand you bought.

I was just preparing the OP for the trash talking a bunch of you dealers were about to unleash.  And I was right.  And by the by I wasn't complaining.  I was making an observation.  I'm tired of butting heads with dealers in this forum about Master.

swilly1000

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 12:07:47 pm »

I could give you hundreds of unhappy Master Spa users.

Been doing this a long time and likely saw more 5-8 YO masters that were junk than any other brand. Energy hungry complaints abound.

But they fall where they should. A middle of the road tub.

The OP should know that swillys tub is less than a year old. Give it 5 more years and you will wonder how good of a deal you really got.

D1, one of the best brands out there. Master Spa, middle of the road energy hog.

https://www.bbb.org/us/in/fort-wayne/profile/hot-tub-manufacturing/master-spas-0352-10011179/complaints

Everyone is entitled to their opinion swilly. I'll respect yours more in a few years.

The OP can choose the value of whatever opinion they want. A newbie user who was convinced "hot tub university" was a legit site. Or a seasoned dealer or independent repair guy with 30-40 years of hot tub experience, some who have carried MS in the past, or worked on tons of them. I have likely worked on close to 100 of them over the years of my experience.

But hey that won't matter to swilly cause he has owned one for a few months.

I agree with some of the others. I would take that D1 over 2 new Masters, but the used price is a bit high.

Hundreds of unhappy Master users? Wow you must get around! Show me even one on this forum.

And that BBB link you reference above? Every one of the nine posts in that thread are issues that the dealer should have dealt, not the manufacturer.

And for the record my tub has been in service for 15 months.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:14:40 pm by swilly1000 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 12:08:01 pm »
I was just preparing the OP for the trash talking a bunch of you dealers were about to unleash.  And I was right.  And by the by I wasn't complaining.  I was making an observation.  I'm tired of butting heads with dealers in this forum about Master.

First, I am not a dealer, I spent 30 years as a licensed plumber/service guy. I work for no dealer/brand, I work on them all including a ton of Master Spa, that should be valuable to you but it's not.

Second, yes you did start it because I think you enjoy it.

Third, if you knew how many times some joker came on here and tried to justify their choice...........
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 12:12:40 pm »
Hundreds of unhappy Master users? Wow you must get around! Show me even one on this forum.

And for the record my tub has been in service for 15 months.

Master sells thousand and thousands of tubs and we have one happy new user on this forum.

That should tell you something.
Retired

swilly1000

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:17:32 pm »

First, I am not a dealer, I spent 30 years as a licensed plumber/service guy. I work for no dealer/brand, I work on them all including a ton of Master Spa, that should be valuable to you but it's not.

Second, yes you did start it because I think you enjoy it.

Third, if you knew how many times some joker came on here and tried to justify their choice...........

You're the joker here Tman.  I was answering the OP, not trying to "justify" my choice.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:21:05 pm by swilly1000 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:17:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42