What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to Negotiate and Buy a Hot tub.  (Read 60755 times)

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
How to Negotiate and Buy a Hot tub.
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:53:42 am »
One of the most often asked subjects on the board.

Hot tubs are more difficult to buy than a car or a house as a tremendous amount of research and knowledge is required before one can make an informed and intelligent choice.

Prior to purchasing a Hot Tub if you have Tendonitis, Arthritis, soft tissue injuries etc get a prescription from your Doctor for Hydro Therapy ( A Hot Tub).  In most jurisdictions you can write off the entire purchase or at least the taxes.  Check with your accountant.  

Of course in negotiating to just get a deal on the tub is not enough. There are a large number of costly extras, which are must haves which one has to buy anyway, and you do not want to pay on the nose for after the sale.

Here is a list of Hot Tub features you may want to consider:

For example in purchasing our Beachcomber 550X Hot Tub:  the Protect Feature, (easier access, much quieter operation, ( You can have a conversation in the tub while the pump is on high speed), the tub is fully insulated on all four sides, gives you a step to get into the tub) I am convinced this is the most energy efficient design,  24 hour silent hush pump (the most energy efficient and cost effective filtration system), ozone system, either UV or CD, ( helps use less chemicals and can save on chemical costs),   LED Lighting, really Cool at night,  Reflex Foot massage, a must have,  a really great option,  A choice of jets which are interchangeable,  (Note you can totally change the personality of a tub by changing the jets), A hand held jet, (great for hitting that special place the other jets never quite get.), Everwood exterior, totally maintenance  free, unlike cedar,  A suite of chemicals, Chemical test Kit, an extra filter, filter cleaner canister, Upgraded power smart Cover,  a Spa Blanket, ( a spa blanket will insulate the surface of the water where the greatest heat loss occurs, it protects the cover from absorbing moisture and from chemical damage both of which contribute to premature wear), A Cover lift,  a 5.5 kw heater for fast reheating, a Five year Premium Guarantee all at  50% of their advertised retail price. Delivery and set up usually costs around $200 - 250.00 Which still leaves foundation and Electrical including GFI .

Now have I missed anything?  

Oh yes the tub must have a floor drain.  As a tub's water should be changed every 3 months and you do not want to have to bail the last 6 inches of water out of the tub before you can refill it.

And one other subject comes to mind.  Color of the Tub.  The white colors reflect the light at night best however shows the most dirt,  A Tub with a rough textured surface does not show scratches, smooth surfaces will show scratches,  the darker colors wear well, your choice.

One must not forget that the greatest benefit of a hot tub is HYDROTHERAPY, that is WARM WATER.
Then comes COMFORT.  
Do you want a lounger?, how many seats?  Check the water depth.  Many Spas are quite shallow.  Look for a depth of 38 inches, a reasonable size foot well and a water capacity of 350 gallons or more.

The Jet therapy is secondary and totally subjective to the individual.  That is why the number of jets, number of pumps, horsepower etc can be very misleading.
The best advice WET TEST!
The more Pumps and features the greater the cost of operation and maintenance in the long term.  Unless absolutely necessary do not get a 110 Volt tub, the 230-240 volts are much more efficient.

Be aware of all the GIMMICKS,  like Water Falls, Misters, Head Pillows, Stereo systems, TV's, Ice Wells, Beer dispensers, Towel Warmers, Lighting systems, (Although the LED lighting at night is really cool), Sperm Skimmers, Aroma therapy, Air pumps, Thermopane, Microban,  etc.

Buy Quality!  This is an investment which should last you a long time and have easy  maintenance and trouble free operation for many years to come.  

Choose a Dealer with a good track record, who has been in business for a long time and treats you right as you may need to rely on him/her after the sale for service.

Consider the top six Manufacturers  however it should be mentioned that there are many manufactuers who build quality products.

Read all the threads on this Board. (http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/)  It is filled with a wealth of tips and information posted by my fellow posters. Also have a look at these sites:
www.poolandspa.com:8080/~2/login
www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

I hope this will serve as a basic guide to what to look for and negotiate when entering the world of SpaTopia.

Top Six Hot Tub Manufactures:
Beachcomber
Marquis Spas
Dimension One
Caldera Spas  
Jacuzzi    
    Sundance Spas    
Watkins Manufacturing
     Hotspring  
     Caldera    

There are many other manufacturers who build great products.  The above manufacturers come up on this board most often.  After reading all the threads you can get a feel for what is quality and what is not.  What features are important and what is fluff.  Watch out for the gimmicks which can take the focus off of what is quality.

Regards,  ZzTop   (John B.)
04/27/04
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 03:40:44 pm by ZzTop »

Hot Tub Forum

How to Negotiate and Buy a Hot tub.
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:53:42 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: How to negotiate and buy a Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 06:56:54 am »
Prior to purchasing a Hot Tub if you have Tendonitis, Arthritis, soft tissue injuries etc get a prescription from your Doctor for Hydro Therapy ( A Hot Tub).  In most jurisdictions you can write off the entire purchase or at least the taxes.  Check with your accountant.  

Also be aware that in the USA, the IRS will let you deduct allowable medical expenses that are in excess of 7.5% of your income.  So depending on your situation, not all of the cost may be deductible.  
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 07:50:58 am »
In the euphoria and excitement,

Who makes the Excitment? I've not seen that one. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 07:51:32 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 08:38:27 am »
In reading your post ZzTop I was reminded of all of the things that we went through in purchasing our tub.  But it seems to me that the most important element "patience" needs to be added. Impulse buying on somthing like a hot tub can be very dissapointing. In the final analysis, you need to take your time and get educated on hot tub and WET TEST, a lot.

Great post. ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 10:05:17 am »
 But it seems to me that the most important element "patience" needs to be added. Impulse buying on somthing like a hot tub can be very dissapointing. In the final analysis, you need to take your time and get educated on hot tub and WET TEST, a lot.

Great post. ;D

Agreed, and since the topic is negotiating, my experience is to make sure the dealer knows your serious and ready to buy.  ITs been my observation that a lot of people are wishful thinking, or may look for years before finally buying.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 08:33:02 pm »
A standing ovation ZZ as that is one of the best posts I've read in the years I've been frequenting these spa forums. You just gave some of the best advice I've seen and not just because it's on Beachcomber! OK... that helped  ;), but seriously, I want to thank you for one of the most well spoken, thought out posts that can really help the spa shopper.

Steve

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 12:23:09 pm »
Top Six Hot Tub Manufactures

Beachcomber    

Dynasty Spas  

Jacuzzi    
    Sundance Spas    

Marquis Spas    

Master Spa    

Watkins Manufacturing
     Hotspring  
     Caldera    

There are many other manufacturers who build great products.  The above manufacturers come up on this board most often.  After reading all the threads you can get a feel for what is quality and what is not.  What features are important and what is fluff.  Watch out for the gimmicks which can take the focus off of what is quality.

Do your homework and you will find the right Hot Tub for you.

Zz
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 08:31:26 am by admin »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 02:51:05 pm »
Hey ZZ
  I'd like to know who rates the hottubs and where did you get that info on the best or top 6 hottubs?
  I've sold Coleman Spa's for ten years in a very cold climate state. Most of our Spa's are outside with nothing but the great northern outdoors around them. The average cost to heat in bone wind chilling winters is around 20.00 to 25.00 per month. A Spa need not be full foam to be efficient. Coleman Spa's have their equipment inside the thermo lock cabinet which makes them very quiet spa's as well.
  I wish there were more Coleman Spa owners on this forum it's a great spa. I do think everyone shopping for a spa should first of all   wet test! wet test!   wet test!
   Consider dealer service and warranty. Remenber the relationship you have with this dealer is on-going for many years. Good luck to all of you out there shopping around and try to remember this is a fun thing! If anyone has questions on Coleman Spa's I'd be happy to hear from you....
                                Spahappy 8)

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 10:31:41 pm »
New here, and I have a question,

Where does Dimension 1 fit within the Price/Quality standard.

I live very close to the factory and we have an outlet store here. ...

Looking at the Sojourn HP Model Specifically, want the 4  seats and no lounges

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 11:43:55 pm »
Ratings are very subjective and personal. There are many other manufacturers who build great products.  The above manufacturers come up on this board most often.  After reading all the threads you can get a feel for what is quality and what is not.  What features are important and what is fluff.  Watch out for the gimmicks which can take the focus off of what is quality.

Coleman is mentioned on this board and I have not read anything negative.  

The best advice is to Wet Test.  

A good dealer is also very important.

Regards, Zz

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 12:08:05 am »
New here, and I have a question,

Where does Dimension 1 fit within the Price/Quality standard.

I live very close to the factory and we have an outlet store here. ...

Looking at the Sojourn HP Model Specifically, want the 4  seats and no lounges

Sorry, I have not had any personal experience with the Hot Tub you are interested in, however there are a number of threads where this make is mentioned.  You might ask those posters  this question.

My intention is not to knock anyones make of tub, but to share my research and experience of Hot Tubs in general.

Do your homework and you will end up with the right hot tub for you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 01:08:47 am »
Hey ZZ
   I'd like to know who rates the hottubs and where did you get that info on the best or top 6 hottubs?                                 Spahappy 8)

There was nothing wrong with ZZ's list. Mine are always Sundance, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Marquis and Beachcomber. His were the same with Dynasty and Master added. Why question why he doesn't include the spa you back/like/own;  he isn't slighting anyone by their omission. I have no issue with him saying Dynasty and Master are top makers. The fact I don't include them (or Coleman) doesn't mean I am against them.

Sometimes I think a more important list is one that includes spas that you DON"T recommend. For instance, due to quality issues and customer service concerns experienced by TOO MANY past/current owners I recommend people think twice about buying Cal Spas and Thermospas. I also warn others that cheap spas from big box stores often end up being nothing more than cheap spas (rather than that great buy they think they're getting).

220, 221, whatever it takes!

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 02:34:16 am »

There was nothing wrong with ZZ's list. Mine are always Sundance, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Marquis and Beachcomber. His were the same with Dynasty and Master added. Why question why he doesn't include the spa you back/like/own;  he isn't slighting anyone by their omission. I have no issue with him saying Dynasty and Master are top makers. The fact I don't include them (or Coleman) doesn't mean I am against them.

Sometimes I think a more important list is one that includes spas that you DON"T recommend. For instance, due to quality issues and customer service concerns experienced by TOO MANY past/current owners I recommend people think twice about buying Cal Spas and Thermospas. I also warn others that cheap spas from big box stores often end up being nothing more than cheap spas (rather than that great buy they think they're getting).

Thank you SpaTech, I agree with you recommendations and I too have looked at the big box spas and came to the same conclusions, you get what you pay for.
Zz

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 12:53:27 pm »
Can you add anything constructive to this discussion to help those people who are shopping for a new Spa?

rick

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 04:53:54 pm »
Well I'm a Coleman owner and I love it.  I have the C480 Deluxe  (no lounge seat, 6 seater, 430 gallons) and have had it for 1 month now.  I had a very old CalSpa that rotted away from a leak and I am just so impressed with today's technology in spas.  My old spa had 4 jets and now I have 41.  I am sold on thermopane design and believe that Coleman (MAXX) is making a "bullet proof" spa.  The filtration system is amazing.  I open my cover and see nothing but crystal clear water with no debris laying on the bottom.  I do have one issue that I hope will be resolved soon though.  I was unable to wet test this spa and have noticed that the top jets in the 2 deluxe bucket seats with the neck collars do not exert much pressure. These jets are designed for the neck area and this is the one spot that I had hoped to get the necessary pressure.  They are only putting out about half the pressure as the jets directly below them.  I have inquired to MAXX directly and they say that this should not be happening.  They believe I might have a kink in one of my lines so i have placed a service call to my dealer to investigate.   Other than that, my only complaint is that I have some dry skin lately as I've been putting alot of time in my spa.  My energy bill is also doing much better now.  I'd say this spa probably cost me $15 dollars to run this last month. I do live in sunny and smoggy California though so don't have to fret too much about cold winters.  I have found out that my old CalSpa was costing me over $80 a month.  Of course it was very old.  Luckily, I only had to upgrade my 220 breakers from 40 amp to 50.  I can't believe what electricians charge to run 220.  Highway robbery.  :) So all you future buyers, do yourself a favor and check out the Coleman product also.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 04:53:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42