What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thermospas Concord Platinum or Marquis "The Show" or "Epic"  (Read 8492 times)

NBonugli

Thermospas Concord Platinum or Marquis "The Show" or "Epic"
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:49 pm »
Hey guys. New to the forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice.
I've read most of the posts on here with people's displeasure of TS but I'm still leaning towards going with it. I just want to make sure
I'm making the right decision since TS was the first manufacturer we met with and I've been looking at other manufacturers as well since
to see what our options are in the $13k range..all in.
I reached out to TS and set up an in home consultation, I did my research/home work prior, the rep came over did his presentation, gave us the info,
discussed our needs and all of the options and we settled on the Concord Platinum model with all the features (most of them). We put a deposit
down ($500) and mentioned to the rep that we weren't ready for the spa until October/Nov of 2019 because we had a few other things to take
care of around the house first. He pushed back at first, dropped the price a bit...but we held solid and said if we couldn't postpone payments/delivery
until October...then it was a "no go". He made a call to his "boss"..they talked a bit...and the rep replied "we typically don't run across this...but we're willing to do it".
So...with that being said, I've been looking at other manufacturer's but keep coming back to the TS Concord model and the hydrotherapy its going
to provide us. I've included a pic of the tub configuration and a cut sheet of what our tub build will look like and all of the features it will have
for your review/comment (see below).

What do you guys think?
Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Boston, MA.

[][/]

Hot Tub Forum

Thermospas Concord Platinum or Marquis "The Show" or "Epic"
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:49 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Thermospas Concord Platinum or Marquis "The Show" or "Epic"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:30:55 pm »
Much better options out there for 13k. Warranty is lacking, insulation is lacking, more jets doesn’t mean better experience or therapy it just means more jets. You can’t even try it to see if it’s the best bang for your buck. Being in Boston (I’m located south of Boston myself) you have a ton of great options in your area. You have Hot Springs, Sundance, Bullfrog just north of you, Caldera and Marquis all within a reasonable distance from you.  All the above are superior in many ways to what you are considering.  Have you tried any tubs out yet?  If you would like to wet test a Caldera or Marquis let me know which models and I will see what I can do.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:42:28 pm »

I've read most of the posts on here with people's displeasure of TS but I'm still leaning towards going with it.

When I see that type of illogical posting I usually just move on.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:54:01 am »
How do you know the TS is going to provide hydrotherapy? You must of wet tested it?

Looks like about 50-60 of the jets are bullet jets that provide NO hydrotherapy.

This thing will eat electricity with 5 pumps. Usually 5 pumps means poor plumbing design.
Retired

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:31:02 am »
Buying a Thermospa is like buying a Mass merchant hot tub (in terms of cutting corners) but the way their commission structure is, you end up paying 2-3 times more for a mass merchant hot tub. 

bachman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »
I know nothing of that brand but I see the advice and comments here suggest well-reasoned ideas or questions and not hate/rs.
I hope you are sincere enough in your quest for advice that it steers you in the best direction.

I do think it's a pattern to see the versions of tubs offering twice as many jets and 2 or 3 more pumps versus the respected and known brands that have a longer established reputation and warranty backing. It seems many of the tubs out there can be sorted as built to a level of quality or down to a price. That type of marketing isn't without some flags to warn shoppers.

I'd question the design and engineering of a tub that needs twice as much pazazz to accomplish the same results. How can a $13,000 tub have the same quality of pumps and build or jets with twice as many ? They have to shortchange things somewhere. At least the electric company will love it.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:10:28 am by bachman »

swilly1000

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:09 pm »

Looks like a lot of low flow jets.  It's not how many.  It's how good.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 07:17:00 am »
Hey guys. New to the forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice.
I've read most of the posts on here with people's displeasure of TS

Welcome to the forum.   I started my search for a hottub 17 years ago with a visit from the Thermospa guy.  Way to high pressure for me.   The choice I ended up making for my first spa wasn't much better, but a spa made from very similar components.  What ever you do, I hope  your hear to talk about it 17 years from now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

MarKee

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 11:52:47 am »
Marquis Show or Epic will be much better options.  The Show is one of the best therapy spas available on the market, unfortunately it doesn’t get displayed by a lot of Marquis dealers, so it may be a challenge seeing one in person.  I’ve soaked in it, and the jet power in that spa is incredible.

Sam

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:14:36 pm »
Thermospas are pretty close to the bottom of my list of top brands.  I think most would agree.  They are a great marketing company but the product is terrible.  Just a quick glance at the spec sheet shows that that spa only has 3 actual jet pumps.  One is a air blower and another is a filtration pump.  A lot of those jets are just air jets which also offer basically no therapy and are very loud.  They also cause the spa to cool down pretty rapidly, which ruins your energy efficiency.

Honestly, you can go on and on but the general consensus is that there are quite a few options out there that are better products, with better warranties, and better therapy for the same or even a lot less money.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 06:51:27 pm »
If you want a spa made by Jacuzzi, which TS is, consider a Jacuzzi.  My 2 cents.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 06:58:20 pm »
Thermospas are pretty close to the bottom of my list of top brands.  I think most would agree.  They are a great marketing company but the product is terrible.  Just a quick glance at the spec sheet shows that that spa only has 3 actual jet pumps.  One is a air blower and another is a filtration pump.  A lot of those jets are just air jets which also offer basically no therapy and are very loud.  They also cause the spa to cool down pretty rapidly, which ruins your energy efficiency.

Honestly, you can go on and on but the general consensus is that there are quite a few options out there that are better products, with better warranties, and better therapy for the same or even a lot less money.

We have an air pump on our Caldera Geneva but I believe they took it out of the new model. It almost never gets used in the winter but I think the clean cycle turns it on for a short time. In the summer I really enjoy it and we have the tub set back turned on and it doesn’t heat during the day. The air bubbles are fun for kids and make the tub a nice cool down tub on a hot day. I could live without them though.

One time we had another couple over and the tub was set to 103 I think maybe 104 it was winter. She couldn’t handle it as it was way to hot for her. She asked if I could turn it down to 102 and I did telling her it will take a long time to cool down and I remembered the air. It sucked 2 degrees out of that tub so fast I wouldn’t have thought it possible. Blowing zero degree air into the water does the trick.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 09:04:42 pm »
If you want a spa made by Jacuzzi, which TS is, consider a Jacuzzi.  My 2 cents.

Jacuzzi probably has nothing to do with how it's built.   From what I remember they only bought it for their lead generation and that didn't amount to anything dealer wise.    Besides, who is Jacuzzi,D1,Sundance and TS actually owned by now days?  Pretty sure it's not actually "Jacuzzi" but many corporations.  With more money then I have..

We haven't had them for close to 5 years now since they dropped up for picking up B,frog.   Really no love loss there!   ;)

NBonugli

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 04:32:07 pm »
Hey guys,
I wet tested a Marquis Epic with the microsilk option last night and in my personal opinion, I wasn't blown away. The only real jets that I liked
were the whirlpool jets, but I had to put my head under the water to work out the knot in my back. I spent over an hour soaking and messed with
all of the jets, diverter valves, sat in every seat...and the pressure just wasn't there. The comparison I'm making is based off my neighbor's 20 year
old Vita spa and the really good jet pressure it provides that I've soaked in over 20+ times.

With that being said, I stopped by my local D1 dealer today and talked shop. They have an D1 Executive floor model (never wet or used) that the dealer wants to offload.
I talked the salesperson down to $12.5k (all in; not sure if I'm still getting raked over the coals at $12.5k; tax, spa lifter, cover, chemical starter kit, delivery/setup, steps).
The tub is friggin huge! It's 110" x 92". I like that it has bench seating (if we decide to have a little neighborhood party) and (3) dedicated therapy seats as well..

Unfortunately the dealer said a wet test wasn't available for this particular tub...but I could test another D1 tub on the floor.

Does anyone have any experience with this tub? It has three pumps dedicated to the jets, 1 circ pump, 1 fountain pump, 60 total jets. How is the pressure? Any issues with it? Should I be concerned with the full foam insulation?
Any feedback on the adjustable headrests/longevity? (they seemed to move around a bit in the slots and like they would break over time).
Any feedback/personal experience is greatly appreciated. This dealer is literally like 8 minutes from my house (own service techs, parts, and chemicals in stock) which makes it pretty convenient as well.

PS: The other thing I noticed is that there's not allot of reviews, videos, etc. on the internet regarding this tub. Is this a D1 model that's getting phased out or is it a brand new model? Just seems odd to me...there should be more info/
reviews out there.

Thank you in advance guys!

Nick B
Boston

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:46:58 pm by NBonugli »

castletonia

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »
Really surprised of your opinion on the Epic.  When you are operating jets in 1 zone, there is a ton of power, regardless of which zone you are choosing.  If you are trying to power 2 zones at once, then yes the power is average, but not underwhelming in my opinion.  In my opinion, the most power is the far from the most therapeutic but YMMV.  Your experience and opinion is why wet testing is important because I don't think you will find many opinions on the Epic that are the same as yours.

Regarding the D1, they are a quality, reputable company, but I cannot provide you anymore info than that as I have not seen a D1 in person in years as there is no local representation around me.  Given your opinion of the Epic, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling you a hot tub without you wet testing, so I would schedule a test of that D1. 

As to full foam, in my opinion there should never be a concern.  It reduces energy consumption, supports the plumbing and prevents it from moving when the pumps turn on/off reducing the chance for future leaks and it reduces noise.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42