What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Spa Start-up ??  (Read 3368 times)

KC-SWO

• Waiting for my new deck, Dreaming of my BC 750
New Spa Start-up ??
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:44:50 pm »
I'm hoping to have a new Beachcomber 750 in about
one month.

I'm prep'ing the ground, and electrical.

What I don't know much about it spa chemicals.
Since I have read a few threads here where spa dealers
don't always make good chem recommendations:

What is the best formula to keep clear, clean water
in my tub?

Chlorine?  Bromine?  Carefree?
What other products are or may be needed?
What are people having the best luck with?

Hot Tub Forum

New Spa Start-up ??
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:44:50 pm »

stingfan

Re: New Spa Start-up ??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:59:34 pm »
HI and congratulations on your tub purchase  :)

I am in no way and expert, I'm a new tub owner myself.  I just have a few suggestions:

About maintaining your water: Educate yourself on the internet, ask other hot tub owners, ask your dealer. In my case, the dealer was pretty useless so I"ve spent alot of time learning on the internet.  This is a good site for information.  Also check out rhtubs.com

spadepot.com has some good information for starting up your tub and the differences between methods. It also explains what each product is used for, ingredients, etc.

When I first started I didn't realize the importance of balancing the water BEFORE you start a maintenance regimen.  This means making sure your alkalinity, pH and hardness are at the correct levels.  There are products to achieve this.  

Right now I am using a strictly dichlor regimen (see FAQ on rhtubs.com)  I have been considering trying a bromine feeder on my next fill so that I would not have to add the chlorine daily.  But I've been told by a friend that using the bromine feeder requires just as much "checking" to make sure the levels are correct.  I tried BaquaSpa for my first two fills but just got green water, and sticky brown stuff at the waterline. Some people like BaquaSpa but I"ve read more negatives than positives.

I would also suggest cleaning your tub before doing that first fill and shock treatment.  

Have fun and I hope you get to SpaTopia soon  ;D

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 04:36:16 pm »
Best thing you can do is READ READ READ.

We are also in no way experts as we've only had out tub for about a month.  It was very overwhelming at first but now things seemed to have settled down and we've had very clean clear water for quite a while now.  At first we had come clouding and foaming issues but I think that was due to high PH and not enough filtration.  I changed the default filtration intervals from 4 x 30 minutes to 4 x 60 minutes per day and it's made a world of difference.

We're using bromine with the built in feeder and it's been no problem.  We check the little basket 2 to 3 times a week and make sure it's got about 3 tablets in there.  That seems to keep the bromine level at 1-2 ppm or so which is perfect for us since we're using an ozonator.

When we fill next, we're also going to try using the Spa Frog in the filter as well so we'll see how that goes.  Thought this might be something to try since we can't use the Nature2 mineral purifier with bromine.  

Good luck and post questions if you have them.  There's also a lot of good info already on this forum if you search for it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:37:13 pm by bulmer4nc »
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 05:08:13 pm »
I'd like to echo what both sting and bulmer said--excellent advice from each.  One thing I would add is how valuable I feel the Taylor Test Kit is.  The booklet that accompanies it is outstanding.  I bought mine about a year before I got my spa and tested my tap water periodically.  I received some strips with my startup kit and used them once but I'm so hooked on the Taylor that I don't consider them at all now.  Good luck!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

PPOL

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 05:16:14 pm »
>Since I have read a few threads here where spa >dealers don't always make good chem >recommendations:

I beg to differ.  A good dealer will have a water analysis lab and help you learn about water chemistry and be able to fix almost any problem you have with your spa.  A good dealer should have a variety of chemical choices and have the right chemical for your specific needs.

> What is the best formula to keep clear, clean water
> in my tub?

Religious testing and religious maintenance.  If you are a newbie, relax, you will screw up your water, and you
may drain it a few times before you get it right.  Then it becomes second nature to you.  Make sure your dealer has the equipment, chemicals, and water expertise to help you through your learning process.

>Chlorine?  Bromine?  Carefree?

Cl2 is by far the easier to deal with, occasional shocking and dichlor, but you do have the side effects or drying out your skin, bleaching of bathing suits, bleaching of hair.

Bromine is good, doesn't have the nasty effects of Cl2, Brilliance for Spas is a good product, you don't even need that annoying floater.

>What other products are or may be needed?

Alkalinity Increaser, Calcium Hardness increaser, pH up, pH down, and more than likely some metal remover.

Hope this helps,

Neil O'Donovan
Phoenix Park Outdoor Living
Wilmington, NC

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 05:16:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42