What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 120V Decisions  (Read 5412 times)

Tswoosh

120V Decisions
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:50:45 am »
I grew up with a pool and hot tub; looking to make a purchase for myself. Unfortunately, I’m in a house with a 100A breaker box. So my options are probably limited to the plug & play models unless I want to drop a few thousand to upgrade my service. I’ve already got a dedicated 20A circuit in the area I’d put the hot tub as well.

I’d like to seat 4-5 people and keep a reasonable budget (talk me out of the Costco models). In regards to the Costco models, I’m definitely willing to pay for some quality. It will usually be my wife and I, but it would be nice to also have the option of having friends over occasionally.

After a few stops today, I really liked:
     -Marquis V65L (only issue is seating)
     -Marquis Broadway (solves the seating issue above)
     -Jacuzzi J-225

Anything else I should be considering? Talk me out of a Costco hot tub? How does this group feel about EZ pads?

Hot Tub Forum

120V Decisions
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:50:45 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: 120V Decisions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:58:39 am »
What is the specific seating issue, that's not something to overlook typically.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tswoosh

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 01:05:29 am »
2 people probably 90%+ of the time. Probably never more than 4.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:28 am »
I would also check out the Limelight Beam by Hot Spring.  If you are in a colder climate, pass on the Broadway, insulation is pretty much non-existent.

Pass on anything from Costco.  No after sale support and low quality. 

Tswoosh

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:45:14 pm »
I forgot to mention climate; we live in the very mild Pacific Northwest, so I’m not very concerned there.

We’re waiting on ‘emailed’ quotes for the Limelight Beam and a Freeflow option. The Hot Springs salesperson wasn’t very helpful when we went in yesterday, so I’m not surprised I don’t have quotes yet. Regardless, I’d probably pick up from a different dealer just from the experience.

Tswoosh

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »
Just looked at the Sundance Prado and really liked that as well, so it’s in the mix now with the others.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:23:35 pm by Tswoosh »

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 05:45:15 pm »
I own an older version of the Marquis Broadway.  Great tub, fits 4 very comfortably. Never had more than 4, but you could probably squeeze 5-6 in it.

Tswoosh

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 09:33:11 pm »
Are you using the Broadway on 110/120?

MarKee

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 01:53:08 am »
I use mine on 110v, works fine. Initial heat up time takes a bit longer when you drain and re-fill, but once it’s up to temp it stays at your desired temperature.  You’ll be happier long term with a Marquis, or Jacuzzi, over the Costco options. The build quality is low on most of the Costco spas and it’s hard to get parts and service down the road.  A quality name brand spa will run more efficient, run quieter, filter better, be easier to maintain, be more reliable, and last a lot longer.  Plus you’ll probably get delivery to your back yard vs curbside delivery, and you’ll get a local dealer for service if you ever need it.  Costco has no service department.  Beware of reviews on Costco’s website because they delete most of the bad ones, so you don’t get the real picture.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 12:58:04 pm »
I grew up with a pool and hot tub; looking to make a purchase for myself. Unfortunately, I’m in a house with a 100A breaker box. So my options are probably limited to the plug & play models unless I want to drop a few thousand to upgrade my service. I’ve already got a dedicated 20A circuit in the area I’d put the hot tub as well.

I’d like to seat 4-5 people and keep a reasonable budget (talk me out of the Costco models). In regards to the Costco models, I’m definitely willing to pay for some quality. It will usually be my wife and I, but it would be nice to also have the option of having friends over occasionally.

After a few stops today, I really liked:
     -Marquis V65L (only issue is seating)
     -Marquis Broadway (solves the seating issue above)
     -Jacuzzi J-225

Anything else I should be considering? Talk me out of a Costco hot tub? How does this group feel about EZ pads?

how many people are in your house?  My wife and I now live alone, but when it was my daughter home, we still got along ok with a 240volt 50amp hottub and a 100am drop.  We just couldn't be in the tub while running the dryer, microwave and AC unit, but with just the two of us and usually both in the hottub at the same time, we haven't tripped a breaker in years.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 08:51:01 pm »
Where in the Northwest are you?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tswoosh

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:31 pm »
There are two of us, but we’re young and the electronics counts are high. I’d just hate to get into a situation where I need to remember to juggle the A/C, dishwasher, microwave, dryer, etc. Obviously, that would be resolved with a $2K panel upgrade, but I don’t think the payback is there on the resale end of things (probably moving in 3-4 years).

We’re in Seattle.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:57:41 am »
There are two of us, but we’re young and the electronics counts are high. I’d just hate to get into a situation where I need to remember to juggle the A/C, dishwasher, microwave, dryer, etc. Obviously, that would be resolved with a $2K panel upgrade, but I don’t think the payback is there on the resale end of things (probably moving in 3-4 years).

We’re in Seattle.
I know the Hot Spring dealer in Seattle.  I would be surprised if they have not sent you their quote yet.  Did they?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tswoosh

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 02:10:28 am »
I did get the quote finally. I knew going in that Hot Spring would commend a premium ($2K+) but was curious on the Freeflow. I don’t think I want a roto-molded tub though. It’s just a tough look to get used to.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Marquis Broadway or the Sundance Prado. The Marquis would be new and the Prado would be a floor model. The Hot Spring Limelight Beam was very nice, but I don’t think I could justify another $2500 for it.

Tswoosh

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »
Just a quick update... I went with the Prado. Delivery on Friday. Thank you guys for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42