What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New member looking for info/advice on a Bullfrog A8/R8  (Read 6068 times)

srucker1

New member looking for info/advice on a Bullfrog A8/R8
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:50 pm »
We have been looking around for a few weeks and are pretty set on a Bullfrog A8 or R8 (wife needs the foot dome and we both lover the versatility of the jetpaks). We're leaning towards the A8 and have been quoted $11,300 (including delivery, set-up, start-up chems, stairs, cover, and cover lifter) or $10,300 for an R8. Does this sound like a good price? We are buying in Nebraska.

No extras on either of these. Should we add the circulation pump? Ozone upgrade? It comes with ozone standard, correct? Cloud control module?

We wet-tested an A7 (they didn't have an A8). We would have loved to wet-test an A8! I know the A8 is a little bigger and has the foot dome - any other differences we should know about?

Thanks in advance for your help - this forum is very helpful.

Hot Tub Forum

New member looking for info/advice on a Bullfrog A8/R8
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:50 pm »

Sam

Re: New member looking for info/advice on a Bullfrog A8/R8
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:56:20 pm »
Those are very good prices.  Does not come with ozone standard.  I recommend the circ pump but it's not necessary.  If you're spending that much, the extra $400 for a circ makes sense.  I'm not a fan of the cloud control.  Have seen some annoying issues with it. 

Other than the footwell and size, there isn't really any difference between the 7 and 8.

srucker1

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:18:50 pm »
Thank you, Sam. Would you recommend adding the ozone upgrade. Any idea on what that would/should cost?

Snowba

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:34:16 am »
We just ordered an A8 and we negotiated the wellspring ozone and the circ pump into the price. I couldn't get them to drop the price, but they were willing to include the upgrades. Might be worth trying that in your negotiating strategy.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
Thank you, Sam. Would you recommend adding the ozone upgrade. Any idea on what that would/should cost?

Standard ozone should be $200 to $300 and the EOS should be $400 to $500 from what I've seen.  I'm torn on ozone systems. The thing that makes me pause is that they have a 2-5 year life expectancy, but most people never replace them or even notice when they aren't working anymore.  If people aren't realizing that they quit working, how much of a difference is it really making?

On the flip side, I've tested spas side by side and seen a difference.  In the end, I personally think water care is easy with or without an ozone system and it doesn't bother me much.  Consumer's on the other hand have this irrational fear of "chemicals" so businesses are selling to that fear and many exaggerate the abilities of their systems, sometimes egregiously.  No matter what system you use, you need to maintain a constant residual of sanitizer in the water.  Ozone can reduce that level and maybe make it more forgiving for those who slip-up so I usually end up recommending it.

newtohottubbing

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:37:37 pm »
The price for the A8 is really good based on what I was offered in Texas.  The price for the R8 is more in line.   I’d go for the A8 in a minute if I could get it  for 11,300.   I’m wet testing the A7L tomorrow.   Interested on what you end up with and final price. 

Did you get a price for the A7?

R7L - 9,525
R8L - 10,475
A7L - 11,375
A8L - 13,325

newtohottubbing

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »
We just ordered an A8 and we negotiated the wellspring ozone and the circ pump into the price. I couldn't get them to drop the price, but they were willing to include the upgrades. Might be worth trying that in your negotiating strategy.

Snowba - would you share what price you got for the A8?  I’m likely to make an offer on th 7 or 8 tomorrow.

srucker1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »
We didn't get an A7, sorry. I'll let you know about our final price - should be Monday or Tuesday.

newtohottubbing

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 05:45:20 pm »
We wet tested the A7L today.  We also set in an A8L.  We felt the 7 was the right size for us but we didn’t like the lounger.  I’ll probably end up going with the A7.

I’m waiting till Labor Day specials assuming they’ll be out in next few weeks

Right now I’m looking at 11,375 out the door.  That also includes cover lifter, durasteps, and ozone.  I asked about the filtration pump but she didn’t recommend it.  I still wonder if I should do it.  I’d like to get down to 10,500.

My only concern on the wet test is that I felt like my wife and I were floating a bit in the deeper seats.  Not sure if there’s anything I can do about that or if I should wet test another brand.

Interested in the groups thoughts

srucker1

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
You might want to try out the A8 or R8. They have a foot dome in the center that you can use to prop yourself into your seat - it is a must for my wife.

newtohottubbing

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 03:35:47 pm »
Those are very good prices.  Does not come with ozone standard.  I recommend the circ pump but it's not necessary.  If you're spending that much, the extra $400 for a circ makes sense.  I'm not a fan of the cloud control.  Have seen some annoying issues with it. 

Other than the footwell and size, there isn't really any difference between the 7 and 8.

Sam - you mentioned going ahead with the circulation pump.  I thought that as well, but when I asked the store about it they didn't seem to think it was necessary.  I'm still considering it, but wanted your thoughts.  Any issues with an extra pump to fail or does it reduce the strain on the main pumps?

Thanks

Sam

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 03:50:46 pm »
I wouldn't make it deciding factor but I've found that it eliminates some wear and tear on the more expensive jet pumps and we have a very low failure rate on the circ pumps themselves.   Bullfrog uses the best available.  I've also found that we see improved water quality with a circ pump set to 24/7 over the standard configuration.  Additionally, I believe there are some slight energy efficiency gains.  So for less than $400 I think it's a no brainer.  My opinion probably would change if it were $1000.  Not the most important factor in your purchase but for the nominal price when you are already spending over $10k, I think it's a good choice.

srucker1

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 08:59:09 pm »
For those interested, I ended up getting an A8 with ozone, cover, cover lifter, stairs, railing, installation, start-up chems for $10,750 plus tax.

Snowba

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:42 pm »
We paid $13,325 including all the usuals plus circ pump and wellspring ozone, but I’m in the SF Bay Area - one of the most expensive areas of the country.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42