What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Experience with Essential Arbor 20?  (Read 7019 times)

emt1581

Experience with Essential Arbor 20?
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:59:14 pm »
I have no experience with hot tubs other than using them at hotels and friend's house.  However, I work around 60+ hours a week at 3 different jobs and I want a hot tub I can come home to and just relax in.  I'd also like to be able to use it in the cooler/colder months.  When it comes to cars/house I turn my own wrench and usually do my own work.  So I'd like something I can work on if a gasket, pump, heater, etc. breaks.  At the same time I don't want to spend a ton of money so someone suggested a rotomold hot tub.

After some searching around, a few of the Essential models, this one caught my eye.  While it's not pretty, it's looks perfect for my/our needs. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4ZR732/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

What has your experience been with this tub?  Even if you don't own one, but maybe know hot tubs....thoughts?  Seems like they use Balboa parts which I read are of good quality. 

But here are my concerns....

1)  Maintaining and repairs.  How easy is it to get to the tubing/piping, jets, etc. and to repair or replace them?  I see the heater and pump are right behind the panel but what about everything else?

2) Function over time.  How long do these function and last for?  The shell is lifetime but parts is only a year.  Do these start breaking part-wise after a few years? 

3)  Winter.  I'm in eastern PA where we get 20-40 degree Winters.  Now I'm able to enclose my lower patio pretty easily if need be but if not it'll be exposed to the elements on three sides (will have a roof and be up against my walkout basement wall).  Will this function fine year round? 

What else should I know about this specific brand and/or model?

Thanks!!  :)

Hot Tub Forum

Experience with Essential Arbor 20?
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:59:14 pm »

emt1581

Re: Experience with Essential Arbor 20?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:01 pm »
Is it that no one knows anything about this particular model or does know anything about rotomold tubs in general?

Thanks

Marco P

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:05:49 am »
rotomold tubs are a mixed bag IMO. you can either get one that will outlast some of the major manufacturers, or you can get one that leaks worse than a seive.

emt1581

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:24 pm »
rotomold tubs are a mixed bag IMO. you can either get one that will outlast some of the major manufacturers, or you can get one that leaks worse than a seive.

Thanks for sharing.  Even complaints I haven't been able to find on any of the forums/google/etc.  It's like these tubs are an anomaly that no one uses or knows anything concrete about. 

As for leaks, I received an answer from a "manufacturer" today on Amazon saying the electrical and pump components are easy to access behind the panel.  But any issues with the plumbing/jets needs to be addressed from the "base".  I took that to mean it would need to be drained, jacked/propped up, and then parts addressed that way...which I could do.  But I'm not buying a tub that will constantly need work done to it.

And after some calling around today, I couldn't find any local hot tub dealers that sell roto molds.  No clue if that's due to the decrease in profit or because they are of poor quality. 

Sure wish there was more (recent) experience I could find on them! 

Thanks again for sharing!

emt1581

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:11 pm »
Just got off the phone with a local dealer that DOES carry Dream Maker and Strong Spas.  Got a LOT of info!! I just hope it was accurate/true...

My primary concern was with parts and repairs.  He said that he hasn't seen jets break on these (which I have a hard time believing).  However, to replace internal parts they drain them and then flip them over to access everything.  He said as long as I keep the water at the right Ph level that is what keeps the parts working right.  I guess when it becomes too acidic it starts to do damage. 

He said the water would need to be tested to make sure my city's water is okay.  But that most likely I'd need 2-3 bromide tabs every 10 days, spray the filter off once a month and just test the water weekly to make sure it's alright. 

In terms of maintaining temps, he said that these can easily handle our PA winter temps and are meant to be used year round even on 110.  He said they are more efficient and heat faster on 220. 

I know he's a dealer and his job is to sell, but based on experience, can anyone call BS on anything he shared?

EDIT:  Also forgot to add that I have access to 2 220 lines currently not being used.  So if I ran one out to my patio and put and outlet on the end of the line I'd be running at that power instead of the 110.  Not sure if I'd need to swap out parts to handle that though.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:58:38 pm by emt1581 »

Sam

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:10:02 pm »
It's my experience that when they say they need to access through the base, it means you actually have to cut a hole in the plastic base to access for repairs.  This can be quite the task if you're not experienced but a generally handy person should be able to make it work.  Is it full foam?

emt1581

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:46:18 pm »
I believe it IS full foam which raises a follow-up question...how do you navigate it without cutting through tubing or doing damage? 

I am pretty handy and I do my own home/auto repairs.  So I don't have an issue taking a drill or reciprocating saw to it underneath....but I don't want to make matters worse by damaging a part that was previously fully functional. 

What do you think?

Thanks!

Ghvf

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:48:59 pm »
I've heard good things about Strong spas but please stay away from Dream Maker in my opinion. I bought a couple used ones that leaked like crazy once moved. Warranty on Dream Makers is useless and you'd be better off getting an inflatable.

emt1581

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
I've heard good things about Strong spas but please stay away from Dream Maker in my opinion. I bought a couple used ones that leaked like crazy once moved. Warranty on Dream Makers is useless and you'd be better off getting an inflatable.

Just curious but what about the Dream Makers warranty made it useless and where did they leak from?

Right now I'm still focusing on the Essential because it seems to give the most features for a good price with quality components.  But I have no clue who the parent company or actual manufacturer is although I believe you said it might be Strong...or maybe that was someone else.

Thanks!

emt1581

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »
Just found out the Essential Arbor is made by Strong Spas.  I sent them an email.  We'll see what they say!

emt1581

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:57:14 pm »
I spoke to Strong Spa and this thing definitely seems good to go!!

The inner tubing is NOT covered in foam.  They say the exterior shell is filled with foam but there's plenty of space between the tub and outer shell and the foam has no contact with any of the parts. 

The pump is pretty easy to convert to 220.  Just needs a 220 line with a 40 amp breaker to connect to.  No additional parts needed. 

It's made about 2hrs away from me so even if I have to drive to the factory, it's not the end of the world (should their customer service suck) but they said it's usually a day or 2 "during slow times" to get a warranty repair and 1-2 weeks "during busy times". 

Locally there is a Strong Spa dealer but they don't carry the R12 which would be the closest round version of the hot tub I'm looking at.  But at least I can feel the texture, look at the components/construction, etc.  So that's good.

I asked a bunch of other questions, but I know there's not much interest on this forum about these hot tubs.  I'm just leaving this here for future google searches so people can find something rather than finding nothing. 

emt1581

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:43 pm »
I did some more reading and then confirmed it with Strong but ALL of the jets are bullet jets that don't rotate at all.  And the guy couldn't tell me how easy it would be to buy some directional/better jets and swap them out. 

Anyone have any thoughts there??

Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
I believe it IS full foam which raises a follow-up question...how do you navigate it without cutting through tubing or doing damage? 

I am pretty handy and I do my own home/auto repairs.  So I don't have an issue taking a drill or reciprocating saw to it underneath....but I don't want to make matters worse by damaging a part that was previously fully functional. 

What do you think?

Thanks!

When the spa bodies are made they come out of the machine as 1 piece. They then cut large holes in the bottom and install the plumbing through that bottom and then foam it through those holes. You work through those same holes if you had to do a repair but its not commonly needed. You don't really see round acrylic spas much anymore (not much demand?) but I think most every roto mold spa maker (and there are more than just the 2 mentioned) has a round version that they sell through dealers and on-line (Amazon, Costco, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart ...) probably partially because they've had the molds for a long time so why not keep making them as requested. Just make sure whatever you buy is actually insulated.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 05:44:52 pm »
I did some more reading and then confirmed it with Strong but ALL of the jets are bullet jets that don't rotate at all.  And the guy couldn't tell me how easy it would be to buy some directional/better jets and swap them out. 

Anyone have any thoughts there??

Thanks

It will NOT be easy unless the jets are designed to be front convertible and from his comments they clearly are not so you should drop that idea altogether.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

emt1581

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:10 pm »
It will NOT be easy unless the jets are designed to be front convertible and from his comments they clearly are not so you should drop that idea altogether.

I was just discussing it with my secretaries, one of which has a pretty nice hot tub.  They questioned the importance of having jets that are directional.  The one that owns one said some of hers are but that when she wants a spot hit she just repositions herself. 

Are the lack of directional jets a deal breaker?  Something I'm pondering at this point.  It would just be so great to have a tub I can come home to and relax in every day!! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42