What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can't decide - Jacuzzi J-315 or Artesian Santa Cruz  (Read 7953 times)

macabra11

Can't decide - Jacuzzi J-315 or Artesian Santa Cruz
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »
Hi, this is my first post and it's a big one. My wife and I are buying our very first spa for just the two of us. We have absolutely NO experience with hot tubs other than being in ones at hotels and friends houses a couple of times. I recently had back surgery (L4-L5) in November and am doing great, but my doctor suggested a hot tub with good hydrotherapy to help keep my muscles loose and allow me to relax so that I do not have to see him again. We've been trying to research a ton and finally wet tested three this past week – the Marquis Spirit, Jacuzzi J-315 and Artesian Santa Cruz. Aside from tiny triangle tubs, these are the only ones we can fit in the small space we have dedicated. We have a pergola that it will go under so the sizing is crucial. I've already got a lot of the electrical in place due to the previous owners having a tub a long time ago. The power would be 220v for whichever we choose.

We've narrowed it down to the Jacuzzi J-315 and Artesian Santa Cruz. The Marquis was ok (LOVED the whirlpool jets), but not as good power or comfortable as the other two. I'm 6'3 and my wife is 5'7.

The Jacuzzi we tested fit us both just fine with room to swap positions easy enough. The wet test model was only 110v but we were able to hop in a bigger tub that had 220v with a couple of the positions having the same jets the 315 has. The 220 version was MUCH better therapy. The 315 controls were easy to use, it looked great and we really liked the UV sanitation system it had–much easier to care for water supposedly. The dealer was fantastic and VERY accommodating. Our salesperson there is fantastic and she even had activities ready for our two young kids that had to come along. She was also giving us a great deal at $6,695+tax for the tub with upgraded Prolast Cover, FrogEase starter pack, steps, and delivery.

We weren't able to wet test the Artesian Santa Cruz directly, but I was able to get in the Antigua 33 which had a lot of the same jets and configuration on the lounge portion. It had strong jets as well, and I was able to actually feel the leg/hamstring jets on the Artesian. I really didn't notice the leg jets on the Jacuzzi. We like that it has 3 pumps (2 jet pumps and 1 circ). This dealer wasn't nearly as organized or knowledgeable about the available options. Nice enough guy, but he obviously did not know much about the options above and beyond the basic Artesian build quality and standard features. To be fair, all of Artesian's AOP systems are very confusing. The main feature we want on the Artesian is the MicroSilk. Having this feature adds another dimension to the spa and I feel would make it even more valuable to us. In Boise the climate is ALWAYS dry, so anything that can help our skin would be amazing. We would be able to get a great deal on this spa too. Same price of $6,695 including the Inline Frog System with Ozonator, vinyl cover, steps, delivery, extended 5 yr warranty on everything AND MicroSilk.

There are so many pros and cons about both, and we cannot make up our minds!

Hot Tub Forum

Can't decide - Jacuzzi J-315 or Artesian Santa Cruz
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:12 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Can't decide - Jacuzzi J-315 or Artesian Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:25:12 pm »
Hi, this is my first post and it's a big one. My wife and I are buying our very first spa for just the two of us. We have absolutely NO experience with hot tubs other than being in ones at hotels and friends houses a couple of times. I recently had back surgery (L4-L5) in November and am doing great, but my doctor suggested a hot tub with good hydrotherapy to help keep my muscles loose and allow me to relax so that I do not have to see him again. We've been trying to research a ton and finally wet tested three this past week – the Marquis Spirit, Jacuzzi J-315 and Artesian Santa Cruz. Aside from tiny triangle tubs, these are the only ones we can fit in the small space we have dedicated. We have a pergola that it will go under so the sizing is crucial. I've already got a lot of the electrical in place due to the previous owners having a tub a long time ago. The power would be 220v for whichever we choose.

We've narrowed it down to the Jacuzzi J-315 and Artesian Santa Cruz. The Marquis was ok (LOVED the whirlpool jets), but not as good power or comfortable as the other two. I'm 6'3 and my wife is 5'7.

The Jacuzzi we tested fit us both just fine with room to swap positions easy enough. The wet test model was only 110v but we were able to hop in a bigger tub that had 220v with a couple of the positions having the same jets the 315 has. The 220 version was MUCH better therapy. The 315 controls were easy to use, it looked great and we really liked the UV sanitation system it had–much easier to care for water supposedly. The dealer was fantastic and VERY accommodating. Our salesperson there is fantastic and she even had activities ready for our two young kids that had to come along. She was also giving us a great deal at $6,695+tax for the tub with upgraded Prolast Cover, FrogEase starter pack, steps, and delivery.

We weren't able to wet test the Artesian Santa Cruz directly, but I was able to get in the Antigua 33 which had a lot of the same jets and configuration on the lounge portion. It had strong jets as well, and I was able to actually feel the leg/hamstring jets on the Artesian. I really didn't notice the leg jets on the Jacuzzi. We like that it has 3 pumps (2 jet pumps and 1 circ). This dealer wasn't nearly as organized or knowledgeable about the available options. Nice enough guy, but he obviously did not know much about the options above and beyond the basic Artesian build quality and standard features. To be fair, all of Artesian's AOP systems are very confusing. The main feature we want on the Artesian is the MicroSilk. Having this feature adds another dimension to the spa and I feel would make it even more valuable to us. In Boise the climate is ALWAYS dry, so anything that can help our skin would be amazing. We would be able to get a great deal on this spa too. Same price of $6,695 including the Inline Frog System with Ozonator, vinyl cover, steps, delivery, extended 5 yr warranty on everything AND MicroSilk.

There are so many pros and cons about both, and we cannot make up our minds!

Sounds like the Artesian has everything you want in a spa. Be careful on warranty because the warranty on Microsilk through Marquis anyway is 3 years and that just changed within the year from a year.  No ozonator has a 5 year warranty either. Get there exact warranty in writing

macabra11

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:50 pm »
I hadn't thought about a different warranty on the Microsilk, so I called Artesian directly. They said the standard warranty is 3 years, but if the dealer is including the upgraded 5 year warranty, the MicroSilk is included in that.

It is just so hard because we aren't able to wet test the Artesian Santa Cruz. I hate tough decisions!

Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:36:44 pm »
The Santa Cruz is my favorite 3 seat spa.  It's the only one that I know of with 3 pumps, and boy does it rock.  It will be more powerful than the one you wet tested most likely.  It's an awesome little hot tub.  As for their AOP systems, I've found the basic pro-pure system with inline @ease to be the way to go and it's less expensive than the AOP and it should last longer than the bulb. 

macabra11

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
The Santa Cruz is my favorite 3 seat spa.  It's the only one that I know of with 3 pumps, and boy does it rock.  It will be more powerful than the one you wet tested most likely.  It's an awesome little hot tub.  As for their AOP systems, I've found the basic pro-pure system with inline @ease to be the way to go and it's less expensive than the AOP and it should last longer than the bulb.

Thanks Sam. Can you or anyone else offer any insight as to how much this tub would cost in electricity each month? My local Idaho rates are between 8.69-10.44c/kwh and we would most likely be using the tub 3-5 times per week year round. Would adding a floating blanket make much difference? I'm starting to get cold feet about the costs associated with having a tub.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »

+1

macabra11

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:52 pm »
Another question for those that are familiar with Artesian. For the Santa Cruz, the website lists "Full foam with ABS bottom" as a standard feature. Then under the optional features it lists "PermaBase ABS Pan"? What is the difference?

And is the ProGuard cover upgrade worth it over the standard cover?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:30 pm »
Full Foam ABS Bottom:  There is 3/16 ABS plastic stapled to the frame.  Then inside the tub they spray in the foam across the floor.

Pan:  The stapled bottom doesn't protect the base of the tub, below where the cabinet stops.  Inspect below the cabinet and you'll see exposed wood, painted black.  The PAN is ABS plastic that is not just the bottom of the tub but it folds up and bridges the gap between the cabinet and the ground.  Ala a PAN that you would use for baking.

Make sense? 

The cover upgrade really depends on where you live.  If your winter isn't terrible then I dont feel its worth it.  If you have hard winters with tons of snow, sure.

macabra11

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:47 pm »
That makes more sense Wizard. Thanks for the description on the pan. Here in Boise we usually have pretty mild winters without much snow, but we do get cold temps (single digits) and lots of wind. I'm just wondering if the cost to upgrade to the thicker cover would help with year round energy costs.

Sam

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 03:53:11 pm »
It's a super energy efficient spa.  I live in a cold climate and we very rarely sell the upgraded cover.  On bigger spas it can make the cover much more cumbersome.  On a small spa like this it's not a big deal.  Depending on the cost it may be worth it.  I wouldn't spend more than a $100 or so myself probably.  I definitely wouldn't mess with the floating blanket. They're kind of a pain in the butt to deal with and I don't like creating barriers to using the spa.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 05:34:40 pm »
I've been a retailer for 15 years and now work for a manufacturer.  What I cannot, and have not found, ever, is quantifiable data.  Thus- Yes:  A thicker cover will in theory increase efficiency and decrease energy costs, but by how much?  Is there tangible results?  Then, factor in the initial cost of the cover, and the replacement cost of said cover vs. the price of a standard cover.

See where it gets tricky? 

I doubt you'd notice a difference.  Customers tell me "Brand X says their spa costs on average $X while your spa costs on average $X + $2/month."  So I say "Fine:  Over five years you're telling me that, in theory, the competitor says he's going to save you $120 in energy?  Here's $120-off the spa."

Those numbers are all hypothetical but you get where I am coming from.  I doubt the numbers add up like in my figurative equation above. 

Make sense?

macabra11

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:23:28 am »
Law of diminishing returns–I totally understand that. Having never owned or operated a tub before, I just do not want $100 added to my electric bills as a surprise gift from my spa in 8 months. Other than the standard insulating properties of each spa, the cover is the last stop before heat escapes, so one would assume bigger is better. But is it worth spending an extra $100-200 on the cover? You're probably right in saying "no, it is not". I would just feel a lot more comfortable knowing what my electric bill increase would be with either of these tubs (J-315 or Artesian).

It sounds like I would definitely want the PermaBase ABS pan however.

Sam

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:54 pm »
Your electrical bill should be closer to $30 max (with either spa) than $100 max, depending on weather, wind, sun, etc.

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »
I have a Jacuzzi J325 and live in Mass with the tub outside and use it every day for about half an hour and bill is no more than $30 a month. I think any full foam tub should be fine.

I will say that this is my second tub. I had a Hot Springs tub for 22 years and I picked the Jacuzzi more because of the dealer than anything else so if 2 tubs are close to what you want but one dealer seems much better then that might be a better choice. You might never need a service call but if you do then you want a good dealer.

Good luck

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:15 pm »
I have a Jacuzzi J325 and live in Mass with the tub outside and use it every day for about half an hour and bill is no more than $30 a month. I think any full foam tub should be fine.

I will say that this is my second tub. I had a Hot Springs tub for 22 years and I picked the Jacuzzi more because of the dealer than anything else so if 2 tubs are close to what you want but one dealer seems much better then that might be a better choice. You might never need a service call but if you do then you want a good dealer.

Good luck

Second paragraph is so on-point.  Well stated. Dealers are 50% of the equation.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42