What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog electric usage  (Read 13014 times)

bradleyabell

Re: Bullfrog electric usage
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 02:41:57 pm »
Circ pump has to be on to flow water through the heater or the spa will not heat.  If you don't buy the circ pump option, then pump 1 runs and flows water through the heater. Just like yours does.    So shutting circ pump off or in your case shutting pump 1 off to save energy your spa will not heat.   best you can do is rest mode or economy modes, not sure I would go that route in sub zero temps.

Which I would imagine having a pump run, would use more electricity than a circ pump...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 02:41:57 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 04:34:59 pm »
 Probably, suppose you could debate it many different ways with pro's and con's.    The higher flow circ pumps like BF or Jacuzzi/Sundance use will draw more power than the smaller ones that HS uses.   That said, I think the larger circ pumps run better and have less of a failure rate then the smaller laing/grundfoss magnetic impeller brands do.    Just my 2cents..

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 04:53:15 pm »
Probably, suppose you could debate it many different ways with pro's and con's.    The higher flow circ pumps like BF or Jacuzzi/Sundance use will draw more power than the smaller ones that HS uses.   That said, I think the larger circ pumps run better and have less of a failure rate then the smaller laing/grundfoss magnetic impeller brands do.    Just my 2cents..

You are correct but the failure rate HS was seeing on their Laing pumps was pretty low. I have replaced 15-20 year old circ pumps and most last 10 or more. This is part of their reputation.
Retired

dporter22

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:38 pm »
Circ pump has to be on to flow water through the heater or the spa will not heat.  If you don't buy the circ pump option, then pump 1 runs and flows water through the heater. Just like yours does.    So shutting circ pump off or in your case shutting pump 1 off to save energy your spa will not heat.   best you can do is rest mode or economy modes, not sure I would go that route in sub zero temps.

What I meant was that you might be able to save a little money by not using the circ pump, since they are generally left running for extended periods, and just let pump 1 heat the water as needed like it does on those without circ pumps.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »

What I meant was that you might be able to save a little money by not using the circ pump, since they are generally left running for extended periods, and just let pump 1 heat the water as needed like it does on those without circ pumps.

It doesn't work like that.   Heaters only have one pump hooked to them.  Either a circ pump or a 2spd main pump, usually pump one.   There might be some out there that I don't know of, but BF is not one of them.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42