What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog electric usage  (Read 13015 times)

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Bullfrog electric usage
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »
This page shows their claims with thermal images.

https://www.bullfrogspas.com/energy-save/

That entire page is 100% BS

Completely agree. People can either love or hate Hot Spring but they are the industry leader in that aspect when talking the Highlife series. BF makes a lot of claims on there site that are great for marketing purposes but doesn’t mean they are completely true. I think they are a great tub but they go overboard on their claims

Hot Spring does the same exact thing...."Diamonds are a spas best friend" sound familiar? LOL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:12:16 pm by BullFrogSpasMN »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 04:26:36 pm »
This page shows their claims with thermal images.

https://www.bullfrogspas.com/energy-save/

That entire page is 100% BS

Completely agree. People can either love or hate Hot Spring but they are the industry leader in that aspect when talking the Highlife series. BF makes a lot of claims on there site that are great for marketing purposes but doesn’t mean they are completely true. I think they are a great tub but they go overboard on their claims

Hot Spring does the same exact thing...."Diamonds are a spas best friend" sound familiar? LOL

They all do it. There are facts to support two opposing views of many things.

Here's one way BF can be less than that HS. Because HS uses a small circ pump that uses the same electricity as a light bulb and BF doesn't, they decided to make both equal and run a jet pump for the test. HS uses a larger jet pump so the facts favor BF.
Retired

Beck0101

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »
In the "for what it's worth" department - I had a record high electric bill in January as well (West Michigan).  I've had my A8 since October 2016 and noted last year that the average winter electric bill was right around $40 higher than years prior. 

My January bill was around $80 higher than anything I've experienced since installing the tub.  I wasn't planning on doing much until I see my Feb bill.  If it gets back down to normal I'll consider it weather induced.  If not, I'll start looking for other problems.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 04:47:22 pm »
There really is only one way to know how much any tub is costing.
Retired

Thisismyname

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:18 am »
In the "for what it's worth" department - I had a record high electric bill in January as well (West Michigan).  I've had my A8 since October 2016 and noted last year that the average winter electric bill was right around $40 higher than years prior. 

My January bill was around $80 higher than anything I've experienced since installing the tub.  I wasn't planning on doing much until I see my Feb bill.  If it gets back down to normal I'll consider it weather induced.  If not, I'll start looking for other problems.

Ok, well maybe it was all weather related....will wait and see.  Did you notice much of an increase in summer months?

bradleyabell

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 11:57:53 am »

Same...My electric bill (also in West Michigan) was very high in January...Probably over $100 more than normal.

Beck0101

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »

Ok, well maybe it was all weather related....will wait and see.  Did you notice much of an increase in summer months?

My summer bills were maybe $20 higher than pre-tub.  Perhaps less.  Hardly noticeable, particularly when the AC starts running.

Beck0101

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 12:51:55 pm »

Same...My electric bill (also in West Michigan) was very high in January...Probably over $100 more than normal.

It's comforting to know others saw this.  I was moderately shocked by my bill....

Thisismyname

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 03:41:07 pm »
Comforting but still not cool

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 06:47:09 pm »
  All the spa marketing BS aside, if you guys are in the parts of the country with below zero temps.   Your heating systems are working twice or 3 times harder as well, same with the water heater dealing with colder incoming water temps.   So it can all add up.  Not saying it's not the hot tub, but you have to factor in other things as well.   Now if your all nat gas, probably another story.

dporter22

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:39 pm »
The circulation pump probably doesn't use much electricity, but if you want to save a small amount on your bill you could turn it off since it's not really necessary.  I don't have one on my A7 and have never had a problem.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:29 pm »
The circulation pump probably doesn't use much electricity, but if you want to save a small amount on your bill you could turn it off since it's not really necessary.  I don't have one on my A7 and have never had a problem.

Sure they would save energy.  That said, their spa also won't heat.    A circ pump and heater kind of go hand in hand.  Nice thought though!   ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 05:37:39 am »
  All the spa marketing BS aside, if you guys are in the parts of the country with below zero temps.   Your heating systems are working twice or 3 times harder as well, same with the water heater dealing with colder incoming water temps.   So it can all add up.  Not saying it's not the hot tub, but you have to factor in other things as well.   Now if your all nat gas, probably another story.

Even with natural gas heat you use more when it's cold as your fan runs more. Along with more lights because of the darker earlier and for longer in the winter.
Retired

Thisismyname

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:04 am »
You can get the BF without a circ pump so a little confused by your statement.

Sure they would save energy.  That said, their spa also won't heat.    A circ pump and heater kind of go hand in hand.  Nice thought though!   ;)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:54 am »
 Circ pump has to be on to flow water through the heater or the spa will not heat.  If you don't buy the circ pump option, then pump 1 runs and flows water through the heater. Just like yours does.    So shutting circ pump off or in your case shutting pump 1 off to save energy your spa will not heat.   best you can do is rest mode or economy modes, not sure I would go that route in sub zero temps. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42