What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog Chemicals  (Read 8782 times)

Thisismyname

Bullfrog Chemicals
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
Just got my Bullfrog A8 set up and looking for some chemical advice.

I used to use Baquaspa or something similar on my old Caldera but looking for something different.

I've seen these mineral sticks like the Nature2.  Which one fits in the BF filters?  Are they recommended?

Would that plus some shock cover my basic chemical needs?

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog Chemicals
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »

Beck0101

Re: Bullfrog Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 07:54:08 am »
I seem to recall reading that the mineral sticks are too tall for our filters and would need to be trimmed to fit?

I've had great luck with my tub after switching to a simple bromine floater.  I have a neighbor that uses the frog with the sticks and I don't see his water being any more or less easily maintained than mine at this point.  Just more money for the frog setup...

Sorrentino100

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:20:33 pm »
HotSpring has an excellent section detailing everything you need to know (See pages 53-61).

Here is the link: https://www.hotspring.com/sites/default/files/hot-spring_spas_owners_manual_2008.pdf

Sam

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
You don't need to put the mineral stick in the filter.  Just put it in the filter compartment area.  Fyi, they have oem mineral sticks that fit.  They just introduced them at the industry trade show and should be available to order soon.

Thisismyname

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:23 pm »
Available to order where soon?

You don't need to put the mineral stick in the filter.  Just put it in the filter compartment area.  Fyi, they have oem mineral sticks that fit.  They just introduced them at the industry trade show and should be available to order soon.

bradleyabell

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »

Will this work with the X series tubs as well?

Thisismyname

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:59:30 pm »
So I just got a filter frog mineral stick...

https://www.frogproducts.com/product/filter-frog/

It doesnt fit in a filter so i just put it in the filter compartment area.

Do I need to keep using chlorine....or can I just stick with MPS shock now with the mineral?

Bought some of this....

https://www.spadepot.com/Oxy-Spa-Non-chlorine-MPS-Shock-2lbs-P77?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoFSi6A2Ja8xpjZ76gUTlZxOc4ow7aqz67BIqsgQ0m7_F9ePgdZNhxUaAipAEALw_wcB

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47:47 pm »
Still need to use chlorine with that frog system

Sorrentino100

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 11:12:11 pm »
You should refer to the HotSpring manual I linked above. It will explain in great detail everything you need to know about maintaining your water chemistry.

You can shock with the product you purchased. You will need to utilize twice the amount compared with shocking with Dichlor.

As you now know, the filter cartridge basket was specifically designed not to accommodate the Nature2 standard cartridge. As mentioned earlier, there will be available one tailored to their cartridge design.

Thisismyname

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 08:07:50 am »
You should refer to the HotSpring manual I linked above. It will explain in great detail everything you need to know about maintaining your water chemistry.

You can shock with the product you purchased. You will need to utilize twice the amount compared with shocking with Dichlor.

As you now know, the filter cartridge basket was specifically designed not to accommodate the Nature2 standard cartridge. As mentioned earlier, there will be available one tailored to their cartridge design.

Read through it...good info but still doesn't solve my question.

It states use either DiChlor OR MPS.  Seems that if I only use MPS then I have no sanitizer??

But what about with the Frog stick?  What is that really doing?

I don't want to sit in a chemical bath if I dont have to.

I know everyone has opinions on what to do but there should at least be guidelines.....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 12:48:50 pm »

Read through it...good info but still doesn't solve my question.

It states use either DiChlor OR MPS.  Seems that if I only use MPS then I have no sanitizer??

But what about with the Frog stick?  What is that really doing?

I don't want to sit in a chemical bath if I dont have to.

I know everyone has opinions on what to do but there should at least be guidelines.....

Not to throw a wrench in it or anything but MPS requires a larger quantity to shock than dichlor. The added quantity will also add to your TDS (total dissolved solids) quicker. TDS is what makes your water sluggish and not as bright.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:56:15 pm »
Which Spa Frog:  The stand-alone mineral stick that works ala Nature 2?  Or is it the in-line *or* floating Spa Frog that is Blue and Yellow?

This will be better, more pleasant that a biguianide system like Baqua Spa.  I can walk you through either- MPS (Spa Shock or Potassium Peroxymonopersulfate) is an oxidizer:  Clears away the clutter.  The mineral stick is approx. 1% silver- A great, safe, product that will help keep the water clean when nobody is in the tub.  What comes off your body is generally knocked out by the MPS- And that is very soft on your skin and doesn't have an odor.  Then you have the Di-Chlor:  You shouldn't have to use more than an ounce or so per week.  You are required to have an EPA-registered sanitizer (Bromine, Chlorine, or Biguianide) that can kill and sanitize algae, bacteria, etc.

In all- You're always going to have a chemical in your spa.  But Nature 2/Spa Frog is possibly the most popular type of sanitization system on the market.  I am pretty confident you'll prefer this once you get used to it.

Thisismyname

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:05:07 pm »
Which Spa Frog:  The stand-alone mineral stick that works ala Nature 2?  Or is it the in-line *or* floating Spa Frog that is Blue and Yellow?

This will be better, more pleasant that a biguianide system like Baqua Spa.  I can walk you through either- MPS (Spa Shock or Potassium Peroxymonopersulfate) is an oxidizer:  Clears away the clutter.  The mineral stick is approx. 1% silver- A great, safe, product that will help keep the water clean when nobody is in the tub.  What comes off your body is generally knocked out by the MPS- And that is very soft on your skin and doesn't have an odor.  Then you have the Di-Chlor:  You shouldn't have to use more than an ounce or so per week.  You are required to have an EPA-registered sanitizer (Bromine, Chlorine, or Biguianide) that can kill and sanitize algae, bacteria, etc.

In all- You're always going to have a chemical in your spa.  But Nature 2/Spa Frog is possibly the most popular type of sanitization system on the market.  I am pretty confident you'll prefer this once you get used to it.

This is the Filter Frog I got..

https://www.frogproducts.com/product/filter-frog/

I have the built in ozonator. 

Have some chlorine from the dealer....Says one step sanitizer and oxidizer.   

Plus some MPS shock.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »
So yeah- You're in with possibly the largest subgroup of sanitizer users for hot tubs.  You need both MPS and Di-Chlor but in all, it's a three pronged attack:  Mineralizer (active ingredient- silver- is less than 1%), MPS (Oxidizer, softest on you skin, and the main "go-to" for usage) and Di-Chlor (an EPA-registered sanitizer).  Even with 3 parts to this, you're still waaaay out ahead of a biguianide system and you wont be swimming in chemicals. 

Sorrentino100

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
Here's the program (540 gallon tub):

1.08 teaspoons of Dichlor before you go in the tub;
3.24 teaspoons of Dichlor once a week to shock the spa. If you want to use MPS instead of Dichlor to shock the water, 6.5 teaspoons. MPS is an oxidizer, not a sanitizer.

Be certain to leave the cover open for a minimum of 20 minutes. Bullfrog has no warranty on the headrest pillows other than stating they will be in good condition when you receive the hot tub.

Drain and replace the water and silver ion cartridge every four months.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42