What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Purchase advice please!  (Read 3384 times)

Zooteach

Purchase advice please!
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »
We are considering purchasing a two year old Caldera Cantabria hot tub from a dealer. This dealer has good online reviews and seems to value customer service. They are also offering a one year parts and labor warranty. The price is $7500 for a tub with the audio package and including steps, used cover, new cover lifter, filters and chemicals. The dealer replaced all the pillows and did some other cosmetic touch ups to the cabinet. First, is that a good deal for this model considering the age? (We are in GA if that matters) And, generally speaking, is this a significant enough savings over new to justify losing out on the longer warranty that would come with a new tub? (The cosmetic wear and tear of used versus new isn't really an issue for us.) If we do want to purchase it, what should we be checking out to make sure it isn't a lemon or poorly cared for by he previous owner? I understand that the warranty will cover any problems we discover in the first year but we'd still prefer not to have to deal with a bunch of leaks or other repairs that will lead to downtime. I wish we could take it to an independent mechanic like we would for a used car! I am wary of buying used, however, if we buy new we will end up having to settle for a smaller entry level or midrange model in order to stay in budget.

Hot Tub Forum

Purchase advice please!
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »

bud16415

Re: Purchase advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »
We have a two year old Caldera Geneva and it would be very close to what you are looking at only yours would be longer and the snuck in a couple seats that way. We paid over 12k for ours new so I personally think the $7500 is a pretty good deal with the 1 year plan also. It is barely broke in if it was properly maintained.

We love our Geneva and we talked about the Cantabria a little bit because it was the one full of water to test at our dealer. If our deck was larger we might have went with it.

I would run one of the cleaner products thru it first thing and then sit back and enjoy the good deal. :) It really is a top quality tub.

Did the dealer mention why they got it back?   

Zooteach

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:14 pm »
Thanks very much for the reply and the great feedback on your Geneva. We feel pretty good about the deal and I know this is a very reliable model. They didn't volunteer why the owner sold it. I assumed they must be moving and didn't want to take it with them or something. I suppose I should ask that question. But if the reason was that the previous owner hated the spa or had major repair issues, the dealer isn't likely to tell me the truth anyways! :)

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »
Good reviews, values customer service, AND a one year warranty?  Buy it.

I'd sell a 2 year cantabria with that type of back up for over $10k.  The only thing you might want to ask is why was it returned?  Trade in maybe? 

Either way, I'd think that sucker wouldn't last long and you might miss out if you don't pull the trigger soon.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:07:33 am »
Good reviews, values customer service, AND a one year warranty?  Buy it.

I'd sell a 2 year cantabria with that type of back up for over $10k.  The only thing you might want to ask is why was it returned?  Trade in maybe? 

Either way, I'd think that sucker wouldn't last long and you might miss out if you don't pull the trigger soon.

That's what I was thinking. New that goes for close to 17k

Momofboys

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »
Cantrabria are not 17 new- just FYI. I got a quote mid 12 for a brand new 2017 model without really even dealing.  I still think saving 5K is substantial so not saying that is not a good deal but if its helpful, the new ones can be gotten for 12-13.  I really liked it myself but it was not a fit for my husband.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:02:43 am »
Cantrabria are not 17 new- just FYI. I got a quote mid 12 for a brand new 2017 model without really even dealing.  I still think saving 5K is substantial so not saying that is not a good deal but if its helpful, the new ones can be gotten for 12-13.  I really liked it myself but it was not a fit for my husband.

12k with audio, step and lifter, delivery and starter Chemicals?  The dealer is a fool. If I wanted to work for free I would stay home and watch TV all day lol. The audio package on that adds particular tub adds 1500-2000 depending on dealer. I'm a dealer and my bottom on Tub only is $14,500 with cover

Momofboys

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:53 am »
Could be a volume thing (dealer price variances) and in fairness the price did not include audio.   I can't image bothering with audio (at 2k!?) given the wireless options today and the risk of corrosion - but to each their own.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:39 am »
Could be a volume thing (dealer price variances) and in fairness the price did not include audio.   I can't image bothering with audio (at 2k!?) given the wireless options today and the risk of corrosion - but to each their own.

I agree with the audio part. Volume pricing also comes into play. I'm sure he like myself order by the truckload for the best pricing. Under 14,500 isn't worth it to me. To some maybe it is. We also do things differently then most when it comes to warranty services as I don't charge diagnostic of trip fees. 12k for that tub is really really cheap though

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:59 am »
Around here the higher price mentioned is the norm. 12k is closer to the Geneva price point here with the goodies included and delivered but not setup.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42