What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for input - Hot Springs Spa  (Read 3405 times)

Hottubnewbie507

Looking for input - Hot Springs Spa
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:07:55 pm »
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I have done quite a bit of reading but was hoping for some more specific input. I began my hot tub search a few weeks ago, not knowing much of anything. I have looked at Jacuzzi, Coast, Bullfrog, Maax, Saratoga, and some other brands that I don't even remember (they weren't worth remembering anyway). My price range was around $7,000, and I'm looking for a quality, reliable tub that can fit at least 4 people comfortably (although it will mostly just have one or two).

However, I ran into a problem at my local Hot Springs dealer. I sat in a Sovereign, and now I don't want anything else but a Hot Springs tub! The jets were amazing, definitely unique and powerful which I loved. Looks like I will be adjusting my hot tub budget  :P  I like the lounger on the Sovereign, but I don't think it's a necessity. I'm also looking at the Vanguard. The Sovereign was quoted to me at $8,900 before tax (upstate NY if it matters), so about $9,600 with tax. That includes cover/lift, starter chems, and steps. I didn't get an official quote on the Vanguard, but I want to say it was listed on the floor in the neighborhood of $10k before tax give or take a few hundred dollars.

I loved the wet test in the Sovereign. My only concern is perhaps that I am missing something I have not considered. Will I later be disappointed that I didn't go a bit bigger, and have 2 pumps? It seemed to have plenty of power, more than other tubs I tried with 2 pumps. But maybe with full power to one seat, the power to another isn't so great? I tested the tub alone so I'm not sure. What would be the advantages of the extra cash for the Vanguard, or is it mostly preference? Also, how much should I try to talk them down on the price? The price quoted to me also included $600 off because apparently the floor model had been damaged on the corner during unloading, but has since been repaired (I couldn't tell the difference). I don't like the color, so I think I would like to at least ask for the same price but on a different tub with my color of choice. Sorry for writing a book, any input is greatly appreciated though!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for input - Hot Springs Spa
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:07:55 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Looking for input - Hot Springs Spa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »
Try wet testing the Vanguard also.  Are you mainly going to be using the Hot Tub by yourself, with your wife, with the family?  You can usually get a better price by purchasing a tub on the floor because it usually arrived with other tubs.  With Watkins you get discounts on freight and spa pricing when buying in bulk (like truckloads) versus buying one tub at a time.  I would wet test with the 2nd person who is going to be using the tub regularly with you and making sure it's comfortable for the both of you

mmura28

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:15:59 pm »
Hey Im in upstate new york also.  I wet tested the Hot Springs Flair from Pool Mart on Transit Road and I felt like I was floating out of every seat and lounger. I also didn't like how one salesman said the salt water system upgrade was basically a maintenance free tub where I would add salt in the beginning of the season and maybe check the levels every 1 - 2 months and only have to change the water once a year.  He said it was much cheaper and safer than other hot tubs.  He also said the insulation they use is better than the foam of other brands that's why they don't use foam.  Then I spoke with another sales person on another day who told me that the cell for the salt system will be $800 every 2 years to replace, I will need to check the levels every week for a few months and still add chemicals to keep the water in balance.   Then when I asked about a model up from the flair he said that they use a closed cell foam on their top models which is better than the insullation in the Flair model.  Needless to say I was turned off by the deceitful sales techniques there.   Then I tried a Sundance and absolutely loved the cameo one.  I thought I would have liked the jacuzzi models but after trying a sundance one out I fell in love.  I also am very new to this forum and am in the market to buy a hot tub myself now.  Still trying to finalize my research before making a final decision.  Best of luck.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 06:12:29 pm »
If you could get the Vanguard for the same price as the Sovereign?

Hot Springs doesn't sell a lot of tubs because they are the biggest. They sell a lot of tubs because of the engineered feel they are know to provide at a very efficient cost to operate. And they probably have the best reputation as the longest lasting.

With that said they don't make my top 3. But almost everyone's top three is different.

Retired

TemptingDestiny

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »
So what is it about the lounge that you like? You mentioned that you could be diverting most of the power to the one seat- does that mean that it takes that change to get the pressure strong enough for your needs? Depending on the direction of the diverter it changes which jetting system you get, which means you will most likely be changing the pressure for guests. You DO get more power stepping up into the Vanguard- two pumps vs one. The one other positive going from the Sovereign to the Vanguard is the his/hers Moto (If this is a feature you like.)

Budget aside, have you checked out the Aria?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:48:24 pm by TemptingDestiny »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:12 pm »
Hey Im in upstate new york also.  I wet tested the Hot Springs Flair from Pool Mart on Transit Road and I felt like I was floating out of every seat and lounger. I also didn't like how one salesman said the salt water system upgrade was basically a maintenance free tub where I would add salt in the beginning of the season and maybe check the levels every 1 - 2 months and only have to change the water once a year.  He said it was much cheaper and safer than other hot tubs.  He also said the insulation they use is better than the foam of other brands that's why they don't use foam.  Then I spoke with another sales person on another day who told me that the cell for the salt system will be $800 every 2 years to replace, I will need to check the levels every week for a few months and still add chemicals to keep the water in balance.   Then when I asked about a model up from the flair he said that they use a closed cell foam on their top models which is better than the insullation in the Flair model.  Needless to say I was turned off by the deceitful sales techniques there.   Then I tried a Sundance and absolutely loved the cameo one.  I thought I would have liked the jacuzzi models but after trying a sundance one out I fell in love.  I also am very new to this forum and am in the market to buy a hot tub myself now.  Still trying to finalize my research before making a final decision.  Best of luck.

Sounds like you had one very knowledgeable salesman and one scmuck. Too bad for them. Sundance makes a great tub as well. Any other options out your way?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42