What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White flakes in hot tub.. is this calcium?  (Read 3431 times)

125mph

White flakes in hot tub.. is this calcium?
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »
For the first time in 6 years, I have white flakes in my hot tub. I thought the plastic was coming off and I drained the tub last night. Turns out maybe its calcium deposits? Here's some pictures. Please confirm this is calcium!

And if so, do I just scrub with vinegar water and refill, making sure my PH is low instead of high?

Hot Tub Forum

White flakes in hot tub.. is this calcium?
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: White flakes in hot tub.. is this calcium?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I've heard of white flakes being something else entirely that could be more serious.  I'll let someone else comment. When my PH has been off I will get a calcium deposit that feels more like grit than flakes, on my white spa surface.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 02:32:42 pm »
I agree:  A "sandpaper" feeling generally tends to be the side effect of calcium deposits.  It could be something as benign as a build up of 6 years of usage in your lines that is finally purging itself from the system.  Regardless of if it is or not you may want to clean out the lines using a specialized product to purge the system. 

If it is a metal deposit as wmcall and myself have noted, citric acid (Vitamin C tablet, lemon/lime/orange wedge) would dissolve it.  You can do a quick test with the aforementioned products.  If not you'll need to report back to investigate further.

125mph

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »
Great thank you!

I got a scrubber and did some gentle scrubbing.. It's coming right now. I'll fill it with new water and make sure the water chemistry is balanced.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42