What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Itchy  (Read 5661 times)

39lasalle

Itchy
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:43 am »
A couple weeks ago i mentioned i started using the "oxy-spa" and how i had a skin reaction.   I waited til thisweekend for the rash to be totally gone and thinking that the oxy-spa would dissipate.   Fianally got in Saturday night and the itchiness / rash came back.

Thoughts?

Thinking i should drain and refill.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Itchy
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:43 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Itchy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:56:15 am »
A couple weeks ago i mentioned i started using the "oxy-spa" and how i had a skin reaction.   I waited til thisweekend for the rash to be totally gone and thinking that the oxy-spa would dissipate.   Fianally got in Saturday night and the itchiness / rash came back.

Thoughts?

Thinking i should drain and refill.

Thanks

]

Go see a doctor and find out what the rash is. I don't think anyone here can diagnose your problem.
Retired

39lasalle

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:53:12 am »
Yup.   Thats in the plan

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
Speaking in generalities:  Rashes from hot tubs are more often than not caused by a *lack* of sanitizer content in your water.  Bacteria isn't killed and thus enters your pores and a rash is the result.

Hot Tub Folliculitis is the catch all term most G.P.'s will use to describe this.

It could be that you're having an allergic reaction to your sanitizer but that seems unlikely.

I know how it sounds;  Like I know more than a G.P.  I am not saying that.  They go to med school and I just sell hot tubs.

I just speak with the chemists that develop our products we sell over the counter here and have discussed the adverse effects to these chemicals at length and they all say the same thing- Hot tub rashes tend to originate from a lack of sanitizer (they say any sanitizer can cause this).

They say the second most-likely thing that causes rashes is improper dosage habits:  Adding a sanitizer right before usage or adding way too much / adding products that are dosed for swimming pools, not hot tubs.

Anyways- Something to consider to possibly help dissuade another potential breakout.  Knowledge is power.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:43:03 pm »
I agree with the wiz.  You say you switched to oxy spa.  Can you please describe your exact program and what products you add to treat the water?  Specifically, what type of sanitizer and how often do you add it?  It really sounds like a bacterial infection.  With that, a simple drain and refill is likely not sufficient.  I would recommend following a decontamination procedure. 

39lasalle

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:14:24 pm »
I was just using the Dichlor but was not adding anything after use....eventually water went cloudy and did a little more research...  bought the oxyspa to add aftdr use and to shock with Dichlor once a week or so....only made that about 1 or 2 weeks before rash/itch.   Kept water in balance gor last 2 weeks without use, actuakly first week shocked pretty heavy.   Maintained level for sevond week

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »
Exyma (spelling) is also a very common rash that exists in a lot of us and we don't even know, until it flares up with hot tub use.

Doc said stop using your hot tub, I said no way, he said use it less then and put plenty of moisturizer on after. OK. I can only soak for a couple hours a week or it flairs up worse. Seems like it gets worse in winter when the air gets colder/drier. Doc said the extreme temperature changes to my skin are making it flair up. Yup.

I am by no means saying that is your problem. Reactions to MPS (oxyspa) are common also. And bacteria as mentioned. Yuk.
Retired

39lasalle

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »
Thanks guys....goona buy some spa vleaner and change water this weekend .    My wife has none of these reactions....she says she itches occassionally when she first gets in but nothing else. 

Sam

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »
You are not properly sanitizing your spa.  Dichlor once per week is not enough.  Even with oxyspa after each use.  If you reversed the 2 you would probably be better off, as in dichlor after use and oxy once per week.  Really, you need to maintain 3 to 5 ppm of chlorine at all times.  With dichlor only, you will need to add it every day or 2 to achieve that.  I suggest doing some research on hot tub water care.  You aren't properly sanitizing and most likely have pseudemonas (sp?) which is a bacterial infection and requires decontamination.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 04:55:53 pm »
You are not properly sanitizing your spa.  Dichlor once per week is not enough.  Even with oxyspa after each use.  If you reversed the 2 you would probably be better off, as in dichlor after use and oxy once per week.  Really, you need to maintain 3 to 5 ppm of chlorine at all times.  With dichlor only, you will need to add it every day or 2 to achieve that.  I suggest doing some research on hot tub water care.  You aren't properly sanitizing and most likely have pseudemonas (sp?) which is a bacterial infection and requires decontamination.

Please 39 go see a doctor to determine what is wrong before taking any advice from a spa forum. Could be lots of things.
Retired

39lasalle

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 06:55:29 pm »
Dr. Is on schedule

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:42:17 pm »
Agree with Sam.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Nicanly123

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:53:07 am »
After following above sanitation recommendations and seeing MD, would suggest taking shower after tub and applying moisturizing lotion. 

39lasalle

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 02:29:23 pm »
Forgot to update...

Saw my doctor, suspected hottub and recommended drain and refill before doing any unnecessary tests.

Drained and refilled.   Everything has been good this month....learning curve

Thanks

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »
Forgot to update...

Saw my doctor, suspected hottub and recommended drain and refill before doing any unnecessary tests.

Drained and refilled.   Everything has been good this month....learning curve

Thanks

I would agree more chlorine less mps.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42