What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: TDS went down.  (Read 4255 times)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
TDS went down.
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:16:57 am »
Got my water tested yesterday. It had been three weeks since I had it last tested and there was a 250 drop in total disolved solids. I did add about two inches of water and changed the micro filter as well as the pleated filter in that time. My dealer explained that this was normal but was a bit surprised at the number. Went from 1150 down to 900 even.

Other than a benefit in that I can wait anyother 3-4 weeks or so before changing my water (still getting lots of usage), anyone else have this happen with this level of drop?

Hot Tub Forum

TDS went down.
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:16:57 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: TDS went down.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 09:37:40 am »
I've never measured TDS with anything that could read with any accuracy, but I regularly do partial water changes to extend time between total changes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:25:13 am »
Partial water to changes. What a great idea.

Dudley_Dawson

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:53:52 am »
I had my water tested and they didn't test for TDS.  Should I be worried about this?  What causes high readings of TDS?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 12:44:36 pm »
I had my water tested and they didn't test for TDS.  Should I be worried about this?  What causes high readings of TDS?

In case you didn't know TDS= Total Dissolved Solids and if you think about it most chemicals you add are solids that are dissolving into the water. Other than that body oil, soap, and dirt add to this reading.
Anything you put in the water raises the TDS and this is the single reason you can't use water indefinitely no matter how good you are with the chemistry.

However, if you are really good at the chemistry, you don't notice sutble changes in the water. (You open the tub, it looks good, but with the jets on it clouds up a bit and it takes a few minutes to settle back to clear again when they are off) You may also notice an "effervescent" quality to your water when the jets are running.    While the water may look good a TDS reading will confirm its time to change.

Standard rules of thumb are either replace the water when the reading is 3000 or 1500 above where it is when you start with new water.  I really don't pay attention to it anymore and change the water regularly or when conditions make it necessary.  I've found TDS test strips to be pretty worthless by the way.  (They are kind of like a wind gauge that only reads 0, 90, and 150 mph,  by the time it reaches 90 you already know its windy, and by 150 who needs to know exactly how fast it is if you can't stand in it.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:54:34 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 12:52:33 pm »
Partial water to changes. What a great idea.

I swear by them for rejuvinating the water, especially in the winter time.  I take a 5 gallon bucket and bail out 50 gallons.  IT only takes a couple of minutes to refill after that and your tub usually doesn't lose a degree or two. (I have a 425 gallon model)  Sometimes after draining the 50 gallons, I'll turn on the shoulder jets in my lounger and turn the pump on high as by this time they are above the water line and will throw the water into the yard quickly draining  another 50 gallones or so.  Its my experience that a 50-100 gallon partial change can make slightly cloudy water look clear and sparkling again.

I should say that when I plan on doing this, I shock the night before and while the tub is refilling, I am either rinsing the filters or putting in a clean stand by set.  The technique helped me get from early Nov. to late Feb. with out a total change out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:52:59 pm by wmccall »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 01:46:40 pm »
Some TDS meters need to be calibrated sometimes. The one I use in my store has two buttons, one for testing and one for calibration. Not sure about electronic ones, but I would suspect that they need calibration too.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Dudley_Dawson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 02:22:53 pm »
So... if my water feels like porridge when I step in, the TDS is probably high?  Ok.  

Since my local dealer doesn't test TDS and the strips are somewhat useless... I guess I won't worry about it.  I'll just do partial water changes.

I didn't realize that adding chemicals raises the TDS.  I thought it was based on dirt, oil, and other things not meant to be in the water.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:11:11 pm »
I didn't realize that adding chemicals raises the TDS.  I thought it was based on dirt, oil, and other things not meant to be in the water.

Some chemicals do so more than others, at least from what I have read. (No evidence to back it up.)  Many say MPS shock adds more TDS than just chlorine.  I stay away from PH locking products because of the massive amount you need to add to water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:11:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42