What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis e series 435 or....?  (Read 8205 times)

Kacb86

Marquis e series 435 or....?
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
We wet tested a 435, and although I liked it, it was underwhelming with one pump even with the upgraded single pump. So for the 2 pump upgrade, and insulation upgrade, it puts us at around 8K which is higher than we want to be. I also thought I would love the adirondack chair, and at 5'3" it still was just 'ok'. Plus the electrician quoted us 1K just for the wiring...and we are waiting on the quote to increase our breaker power since we only have 150 right now and it would put us over if we ever switched back to an electric dryer.

I'm also interested in the Mirage, but I'm guessing we can expect the price to at least be at the same as upgraded 435.

At this point we're thinking we might just wait a while until we're willing to spend more. I don't want something that's not as nice, but I also don't want to finance anything.

If anyone has any recommendations of tubs we should look at in this size range that are good quality I would appreciate the input. Especially ones that are good for shorter people...

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis e series 435 or....?
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Marquis e series 435 or....?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »
You obviously need to skip the 1 pump version since it underwhelmed you and you certainly want to upgrade the insulation (it pays for itself over time and should just be standard). If you are unsure of the next step you can certainly look at other brands like Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance. While you'll probably end up at or close to that same $8k range with other equivalent brands its still always wise to shop around if only for comparison sake. If you say financing is not an option then you might want to consider setting the $$ you currently planned to use for the 1 pump spa aside in an account and then maybe add a certain amount each month until your budget meets your need/desire.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:48:14 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »
I'm a marquis dealer and the single pump version underwhelms me as well. The 2 pump version is as powerful of a tub as there is out there. Where are you trying to be at money wise?  Did you try any other marquis tubs or only the 435?  If you don't like the Adirondack chair then maybe check out the 750 or 545 if you want a lounge

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:38 am »
The 435 with 2 pumps is very very powerful. You will be doubling the amount of power and upgrading to the same pump system that the most expensive Marquis models use.  The Mirage is a nice model but you will probably find the 435 to be more comfortable and powerful (no 2 pump option on Mirage).

Where do you live? The standard insulation on the E-Series is more than what most brands use.  Full foam may be overkill depending on what climate you're in.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:58:46 am »
Also with you being 5'3", the Adirondack in the 435 is going to be one of the best option for you.  The lounges in most spas are designed to fit someone 5'8"-6'2", so you will be underwater or a lot more likely to float in most lounges available on the market.

Kacb86

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:05:05 am »
We initially thought about 6K would be a good range, maybe a max of 7K. We've had a lot of home projects this year so we are trying to stay firm on our budgets, as small increases add up quickly with multiple projects.

I'm not really wanting a lounger, as I tend to float out of them. Even the deeper single seats I'm going to need a booster seat for.  We tried one of the bigger signature series ones as well, and I couldn't really relax and enjoy the jets without my chin going underwater in most of the seats. We wet tested a dimension 1 with a lounger and I didn't even notice it had foot jets on the lounger until my husband tried it and commented lol.

We are in the southwest.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:52:30 am »
I doubt you need the upgraded insulation. Energy savings is within a a couple of dollars a month between the standard and upgraded insulation in most climates. If you get negative degree temperatures, it may be worth adding it, but other than that I would skip it. National average energy cost on that model is around $15 a month, very efficient.

Perhaps talk to the dealer and see if they can work with you on the price of the 2 pump model? Maybe they can offer you more of a cash discount if you aren't financing?  In all my years being in the industry, prices don't go down and on a average have been rising around 7% a year.  So you may save yourself $500 or so doing it now rather than a year from now. The 435 will be the same in 2017, so no benefit in waiting from that perspective.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
I agree with Markee in the south west full foam is not needed.  I put it on my tubs in the Northeast.  I would go into the store and try to negotiate on that price a bit.  He should have some wiggle room in there if you aren't financing and are a cash/check buyer

Kacb86

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:17 pm »
As far as financing goes, do they consider it financing if we pay with a card or just if we want their financing? Our plan would be to put it on a card for airline points and then just immediately pay it off. We try and put everything on our points cards but keep a zero balance. Would we still have the same negotiating power as with cash/check?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:17 pm »
As far as financing goes, do they consider it financing if we pay with a card or just if we want their financing? Our plan would be to put it on a card for airline points and then just immediately pay it off. We try and put everything on our points cards but keep a zero balance. Would we still have the same negotiating power as with cash/check?

You will have some but not the same as with cash or check.  Figure credit card companies especially points based ones take 3% so on a 8000 purchase that's $240. What other options are included in the price you are being quoted besides the 2nd pump?

Kacb86

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 12:19:53 am »
For 8K they would include, the twilight light system, ozonator, full foam, and 2 pump upgrade. We just got the full estimate back from the electrician and it's 1.7K! (to upgrade our breaker to 200 amp from 150 amp plus wiring).

MarKee

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 01:17:57 am »
Why are you upgrading to 200amps?  What other big appliances do you have that are electric?  Most houses with 150 amp panels can run a hot tub with no problem.

Kacb86

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 12:45:26 pm »
They told us we couldn't, that with an electric dryer and stove plus refrigerated air that it would put us over 150. We're going to get a second quote and probably a third to be sure.

MarKee

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 03:31:31 pm »
You might also tell the electrician that there is a way for the spa to run on a 30 amp breaker, and it will probably only draw around 22-25 amps.

There is a setting that can be adjusted to change the spa from 50 amps to 30 amps.  The only downside of running it on 30 amps is that the heater won't run if the jets are on high speed.  It's not a huge deal in my opinion because the spa would only drop 2-3 degrees over a period of 20-30 minutes, and most people start to get overheated the longer they stay in the water so the temperature drop isn't a huge deal.  This is similar to how 110v spas operate, but the difference is that on 30 amp 220v you will be heating the water 3 times faster than a 110v plug-in spa. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 03:31:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42