What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog A7L. Underpowered? Seat sizes?  (Read 6515 times)

Bromley86

Bullfrog A7L. Underpowered? Seat sizes?
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »
I know it's a subjective question, but I was wondering about a couple of things.  We've wet tested a Bullfrog A7L and the wife loves the jetpaks.  I liked the variety, but I wasn't convinced that they gave me enough of a pummelling.  It's not like they were all RainShowers (one was, another was an Oscillator, not certain about the others, but it basically looked like the pic on the BF website), I was switching off all the other packs on that side's pump, and the pump was on max.

I know it's not all about walking out of the tub bruised, but both the HS Envoy and the Sundance Optima that we wet tested were able to make me feel uncomfortable in one of the positions at the top setting, and sometimes it's nice to get a hard massage.  I'll obviously have another wet test of the BF, but does anyone have any views/experience on this?

Another thing: do you find that the positions in the Bullfrog feel like they're designed for smaller people?  I'm a fairly standard 5'10" guy, and I wasn't entirely comfortable with the lounger; it felt too small to me.  Specifically, it felt like the seat could do with being 1" or more lower, meaning I slid my but down the seat to get nicely into the water.  I've been fine with the wet tested HS Envoy lounger, and a dry-tested Sundance Altamar lounger.  The thing that makes me think this is real, rather than imagined, is my wife (5'2") said that it was the most comfortable lounger she's used; she hasn't got on with the other loungers.

We're in NZ, not that I'd expect that to make a difference (other than to the price, which would make Americans wince :) ).

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog A7L. Underpowered? Seat sizes?
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Bullfrog A7L. Underpowered? Seat sizes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:40 pm »
I know it's a subjective question, but I was wondering about a couple of things.  We've wet tested a Bullfrog A7L and the wife loves the jetpaks.  I liked the variety, but I wasn't convinced that they gave me enough of a pummelling.  It's not like they were all RainShowers (one was, another was an Oscillator, not certain about the others, but it basically looked like the pic on the BF website), I was switching off all the other packs on that side's pump, and the pump was on max.

I know it's not all about walking out of the tub bruised, but both the HS Envoy and the Sundance Optima that we wet tested were able to make me feel uncomfortable in one of the positions at the top setting, and sometimes it's nice to get a hard massage.  I'll obviously have another wet test of the BF, but does anyone have any views/experience on this?

Another thing: do you find that the positions in the Bullfrog feel like they're designed for smaller people?  I'm a fairly standard 5'10" guy, and I wasn't entirely comfortable with the lounger; it felt too small to me.  Specifically, it felt like the seat could do with being 1" or more lower, meaning I slid my but down the seat to get nicely into the water.  I've been fine with the wet tested HS Envoy lounger, and a dry-tested Sundance Altamar lounger.  The thing that makes me think this is real, rather than imagined, is my wife (5'2") said that it was the most comfortable lounger she's used; she hasn't got on with the other loungers.

We're in NZ, not that I'd expect that to make a difference (other than to the price, which would make Americans wince :) ).

No one here can tell you if the feel is right or wrong for you. Only you can do that. Every tub will subject the user to a different feel. And whether you like it or not, or it feels right or not is subject to only your opinion.

If the dealers are treating you fair and the manufacturers have a good reputation on 2 brands, then feel to you is all that's left.
Retired

dporter22

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:36:32 pm »
I have an A7, and with the pumps on the high setting it's too powerful for me.  I have to turn the individual seats down about half way, and even turned down the jets are very strong.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:36:15 am »
I have an A7, and with the pumps on the high setting it's too powerful for me.  I have to turn the individual seats down about half way, and even turned down the jets are very strong.

See what I mean Bromley? What you feel is different than what someone else feels. Doesn't mean it's wrong or right. Means you two are different.
Retired

Bromley86

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:27:32 am »
Oh yeah, I get it.  I was just wondering if there were loads of people like me, or whether the balance tips dporter's way.

I went back for another wet test, sans wife, to give me a chance to play with everything.  I managed to get closer to the pummelling I was looking for, and managed to get my shoulders comfortably in by selecting the right seats.  However, I think I've found the issue: it's the nature of the jetpaks themselves. 

In my case, I tend to have lower back issues, so I like something hitting as low as possible.  The jetpaks are designed so the lowest jet is still noticeably, for me, above where I'd like it to be hitting.  It has to be that way, because the jetpak has to be a removable unit and because the on/off control is at the base of the unit.  I have to lift my butt off the seat to get the jet onto the spot, and it doesn't seem to work right then (probably because I'm not relaxed?).

Anyway, thanks guys.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:51 am »
Sounds like it’s not a good fit for you. We wanted a deeper tub and ended up with a Caldera Geneva as it was a couple inches deeper and had one seat that was really low. Jet placement and force is everything and find one that suits you both. one thing the Geneva has is a huge jet off to the side of the foot well. most powerful jet in the tub and I use it all the time as it blasts straight up and it is pretty easy to get any sore part above it.

Once you get a tub you will figure out other ways to use some of the jets. In unique ways. We use 3 of the 6 seats 90% of the time as going thru a circuit of the three gives you a full massage. The other 3 seats have uses and jets but are mostly social seats.   

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:45 am »
Oh yeah, I get it.  I was just wondering if there were loads of people like me, or whether the balance tips dporter's way.

I went back for another wet test, sans wife, to give me a chance to play with everything.  I managed to get closer to the pummelling I was looking for, and managed to get my shoulders comfortably in by selecting the right seats.  However, I think I've found the issue: it's the nature of the jetpaks themselves. 

In my case, I tend to have lower back issues, so I like something hitting as low as possible.  The jetpaks are designed so the lowest jet is still noticeably, for me, above where I'd like it to be hitting.  It has to be that way, because the jetpak has to be a removable unit and because the on/off control is at the base of the unit.  I have to lift my butt off the seat to get the jet onto the spot, and it doesn't seem to work right then (probably because I'm not relaxed?).

Anyway, thanks guys.

Brand aside if you are looking to hit really low on your back I have customers that will purchase these: https://covervalet.com/spa-side/water-brick-water-seat/

You are basically lifting yourself up in the air a couple inches allowing the lowest part of your back to get at certain jets

Racenut

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:00 pm »
His wife said it was the most comfortable lounger she's used.....   Enjoy the Bullfrog, Bromley, I'm sure you'll get used to it  :D

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »
Do you have a marquis dealer near you.  If so try out the reward or the resort for lower back therapy.  The HK40 jets on those will give you the pummelling you are looking for.  All brands you have looked like are reputable.  By something that fits both you and your wife

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:29:48 pm »

Anyway, thanks guys.

If you can try all the jet pacs? Maybe one hits right. Otherwise move past it and get closer to the feel you like. It is not unusual at all for a particular design, power level to be right for one and not right for another. Good thing you have some options. Like HTG said do you have a Marquis dealer or D1 guy around? Both manufacturers have blow you out of the seat powerful if you want and dial-able down to what will be the best feel for long soaks power.

And obviously both the HS and SD models your looking at are top notch.

Retired

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:18:34 pm »
I second what Hottubguy said, check out a Marquis Reward, Resort, Epic, or Wish model for really good lower back therapy.  I really like the Wish and I am 5'10", so you would probably fit perfectly.

Bromley86

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »
Thanks guys.  Being off the beaten track (the whole country, not just us), there don't seem to be any D1, Marquis or Caldera agents here.

As Racenut said, I was preparing to take delivery of a BF, irrespective of whether or not it worked for me :) .  The wife's changed her mind 3 times in 3 days though, so it's a toss-up at the moment.  Seems like we're heading for the SD Optima or the HS Sovereign/Vanguard.

Thanks for the booster suggestion BullFrogSpasMN.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42