What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Grandee purchase. Good deal?  (Read 11442 times)

CCC

Grandee purchase. Good deal?
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:28:29 am »
So I have put a deposit on a Hot Springs Grandee. I really like the looks of the tub and the dealer seems legit (Oregon Hot Tub). I live over an hour away so service was a concern. I am paying 12,100 + tax for the tub and all of the usual accoutrements, including delivery 60 miles away. Is this a decent deal? I have not had a chance to wet test it as they don't have one ready to go for that. I've never owned a hot tub. I live in a small population area but have been reassured that the Hot Springs dealer does regular service to this area. So here is my dilemma:

I have two local dealers, one across the river and one half an hour east of me. The closest one sells L.A. Spas, which I have a bad feeling about even though the dealer is very nice. The other is a Bullfrog dealer that is half an hour away. The product looks good, but the one they have filled on the floor is an A8 with a double lounger, and it is stinky and the water level is low. This turned me off right away. I don't even want to wet test it because it stinks and has been on their floor for months. I'm sure it is a fine product, and I'd really like to try it. (They also sell Marquis, but only have one small one on their showroom and if I'm going to go that route I'll go for the Grandee). For me, the only realistic choices to get service are the L.A. Spa, Bullfrog, and Hot Springs. I'm not even going to trouble myself looking at other brands because I want something that can be serviced hassle free under warranty. I like the concept of the Bullfrog, but am a little put off by the experience at the dealer. The Hot Springs people seem like pros. I also asked the Bullfrog service guy what he thought about Hot Springs and he said "I'd never even work on one, they're a pain in the ass." They made it sound like the Bullfrog was some trouble-free panacea. I wasn't born yesterday and I know that stuff breaks.

Should I suck it up and wet test the Bullfrog? Will I be happy with the Grandee even though I couldn't wet test it? Oh, yeah, I am 6'4" so bigger is better. It will be just my wife and I 99% of the time but I want to be comfortable. Both it and the A8 are 38" deep. That is a big deal to me.

Pretty stoked about the Grandee but feeling guilty about not giving the Bullfrog a fair chance. I've read a lot on this site and I am really looking forward to the comments.

Hot Tub Forum

Grandee purchase. Good deal?
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:28:29 am »

Chief Kyle

Re: Grandee purchase. Good deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:33:07 am »
After recalling my experience shopping tubs (Oregon Hotsprings, Marquis, Jacuzzi) last year, that seems like a good price.

I, also, had a good experience with Oregon HotSprings, but ran into the same issues; out of the three tubs I wanted to wet test they only had one filled and would not fill any of the other tubs.  The tub I did test just wasn't right for me, I believe I was quoted 13,000ish and when I asked is this negotiable, the dealer said "NO."  Went to the Marquis dealer (also a good experience) they had the two tubs filled I wanted to wet test, the tub I wet tested was a good fit, I didn't get caught up in the bells and whistles or this filtration system is better than that one... I knew the tub(s) I was testing were repeatable brands and offered good warranties.

So after my my experience...YES wet test, your eyes may tell you this is the one, but your body may tell you something different...12 grand is a big chunk of change.

Sorrentino100

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:03:13 am »
I'd call Bullfrog in Utah and explain what is going on with your dealer. See if there is another dealer that you can arrange to wet test the tub you want in the Bullfrog line.

I suggest testing the A8 with a Gyrossage, Pulsator, NeckBlaster, RainShower, Oscillator and Wellness JetPaks.

If that's the only dealer you can go to, I'd ask them to put some Ahh-some cleaner in the tub, drain it, clean the tub and filters, re-fill the tub and balance the water chemistry prior to testing.

You will notice a big difference with the Bullfrog jets.

Good luck!

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:07:53 am »
I would have given Marquis a better look, given they're made in Oregon and have an excellent reputation.  There are 3 Marquis factory stores in Salem, Beaverton, Clackamas and about 10 other dealers throughout Oregon.  Sounds like you may have stopped in to a small Marquis dealer that's not really in the business.  I happen to be the manager of the Marquis store in Beaverton, If you haven't completely made up your mind, give me a call and I can save you several thousand on a similar sized spa that is built better with more features, and better therapy in my opinion (not to say HotSpring is a bad tub - they make a good spa).

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:54 am »
The Bullfrog guy thinks his is best, the Marquis guy thinks his is best, the Hot Spring guy... and guess what, they probably do think that. The reality is you need a good spa (all of those certainly have good reputations), you really want to wet test (tell them its the deal breaker if necessary), you want a good deal and you want to get in writing that they'll service you from afar and have them note any travel fees involved. Take your time and get the spa that is best for you and from the best dealer because it really does matter who you're buying from.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

CCC

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 01:21:28 pm »
Interesting. The Bullfrog dealer in The Dalles told me that the Marquis (that they sell!) was a notch below Hot Springs. They said everyone in the store owns a Bullfrog. With that attitude I can't imagine them being in the Marquis business for long. If I were to buy one in Portland, who would service it? I live in the Gorge (White Salmon). Hot Springs does do service out here. He said after the first year it's a $50 service charge even for warranty. I have been in retail sales in my past life and the fact that the Bullfrog dealer didn't maintain their filled display model made me question their competency. The Hot Springs guy was really playing up the no bypass feature. He also said the Marquis manufacturing facility was sub-par compared to Hot Springs. But that's why I'm here, to cut through the b.s.  Thanks for the thoughtful replies thus far!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:28:12 pm by CCC »

av8r

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:43:12 pm »
I'd wet test whatever units you think you like regardless of the dealer's attitude.  Would you buy a $12K car without driving it?

Bullfrog uses common parts from Balboa.  Anyone can service it.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »
Interesting. The Bullfrog dealer in The Dalles told me that the Marquis (that they sell!) was a notch below Hot Springs. They said everyone in the store owns a Bullfrog. With that attitude I can't imagine them being in the Marquis business for long. If I were to buy one in Portland, who would service it? I live in the Gorge (White Salmon). Hot Springs does do service out here. He said after the first year it's a $50 service charge even for warranty. I have been in retail sales in my past life and the fact that the Bullfrog dealer didn't maintain their filled display model made me question their competency. The Hot Springs guy was really playing up the no bypass feature. He also said the Marquis manufacturing facility was sub-par compared to Hot Springs. But that's why I'm here, to cut through the b.s.  Thanks for the thoughtful replies thus far!

That's just a asinine statement. I would put Marquis up against any other manufacturer any day. The Marquis facility in Beaverton is second to none and the engineers and guys who design these tubs incredible at what they do. I've dealt with other brands of tubs in my life and the customer service from the factory has been by far the best. the Marquis signature tubs are unbeatable as far as quality and jet feel. Wet test all 3 if you can and I bet 1 will be eliminated right away and the one won't be the Marquis

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »

That's just a asinine statement. I would put Marquis up against any other manufacturer any day. The Marquis facility in Beaverton is second to none and the engineers and guys who design these tubs incredible at what they do. I've dealt with other brands of tubs in my life and the customer service from the factory has been by far the best. the Marquis signature tubs are unbeatable as far as quality and jet feel. Wet test all 3 if you can and I bet 1 will be eliminated right away and the one won't be the Marquis

I agree, I live in Northern Minnesota. Crappy brands don't survive up here long and trust me a lot have come and gone. Marquis is still here selling strong.
Retired

CCC

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »
Hey Tman, what is your opinion of the Hot Springs vs. the Bullfrog?

CCC

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »
I think I am going to cool my jets and rethink this. I think that the Grandee looks like a quality unit, but the only one that I can wet test is a Vanguard. Will that give me enough of an idea to know? My wife is just too bashful to go into a store and wet test. But it's true, $12,000 is a lot of money and I want this to last. I haven't heard anything bad about Hot Springs, though. It seems to be universally acknowledged that they are a great product, as is the Marquis. Still just very curious as to why the local Marquis dealer is so lukewarm on their own product. I think I will call the factory store in Portland and get their side of the story.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:27 pm »
I think I am going to cool my jets and rethink this. I think that the Grandee looks like a quality unit, but the only one that I can wet test is a Vanguard. Will that give me enough of an idea to know? My wife is just too bashful to go into a store and wet test. But it's true, $12,000 is a lot of money and I want this to last. I haven't heard anything bad about Hot Springs, though. It seems to be universally acknowledged that they are a great product, as is the Marquis. Still just very curious as to why the local Marquis dealer is so lukewarm on their own product. I think I will call the factory store in Portland and get their side of the story.

Hot spring is definitely a good tub. I would want to test the tub I'm getting though. Give Markee a call and check out the euphoria or the epic. That will give you another like tub to check out.

amy2421

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:45 pm »

Your wife should wet-test it with you. Tell her not to worry about it, they've seen it all there and all they care about is making the sale, not rating or judging her! :) Bring a bathrobe and a change of clothes and a towel. Go at a fairly quiet time of day or day of the week and chances are there won't be another customer in sight (especially at this time of year - at least here anyways.)

I agree about the Bullfrog dealer with the stinky display model. That is just really yucky and terrible... why even bother having one filled if you're not going to maintain it??

I can't speak to the Marquis or the Hotsprings. We bought a Jacuzzi because the local Hotsprings dealer wouldn't allow any wet tests at all, so we ruled them out, and our local Marquis "dealer" didn't have any in stock! I would have liked to try both, but the Jacuzzi blew us away on the wet test so we bought it.

Best of luck with your search! If your wife has any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me! :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:10 am »
Hey Tman, what is your opinion of the Hot Springs vs. the Bullfrog?

Hot Springs (Watkins Manufacturing) has a long standing reputation for reliability, energy efficiency and longevity. They back there products with one of the best warranties in the business and have a very nice product. I have sat in several models wet and have enjoyed the feel.

BullFrog is trying to get there. Never soaked in one so can't say if I would enjoy the feel.

I have a very specific "feel" that I enjoy. And that can't come at a noisy price.

Try and wet test whatever brand/model you choose. The feel of the jets on your body is most important. Everybody has a different "feel" that feels good to them. If I was going to spend that much on a tub there is no way I wouldn't wet test it and compare a few different brands/models.
Retired

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
Hi CCC, regarding your "cool your jets and rethink" comment, I totally  agree. Make sure you figure out where it's going. And costs involved for prep, pad, electrical,  etc. I researched the hell out of tubs, wet tested 4 brands, and bought the one we loved (spending over $10k.) Then stupid me got bids for everything else, prep, pad, electrical, of course the spa is as far away from my panel as possible, and I need a crane for delivery, and $6,000 later we are ready for the spa to be installed. If I had known costs to just be ready for the spa would be 60% of the spa's cost.....I don't know ...but things would have been different. (Not to mention it would have spared me the wrath of my beautiful wife) we all learn from our experiences, good and bad, my lesson was learned.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42