What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What do people ACTUALLY do?  (Read 4339 times)

amy2421

What do people ACTUALLY do?
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
A post further down made me wonder about what people ACTUALLY do versus the owner's manual. We're new to hot tubs so we've been trying to follow the letter of the law, but as the weather gets colder it would be tempting to change things up. I'm wondering:

After we use our tub we add chlorine granules and we've been advised to run both pumps for 20 minutes with the cover open. Does everyone run the pumps after adding chemicals? Do you leave the cover open or run the pumps with the cover closed?

How important is it to do up the clips that hold the cover to the shell? We've been clipping them back on every time after closing the cover, but wondering if it is really all that important.

Feel free to add any others that you may be wondering about too! :)

Hot Tub Forum

What do people ACTUALLY do?
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: What do people ACTUALLY do?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:11:01 pm »
I add chemicals when I get out of tub.  Leave the cover open halfway go inside dry off and change and come out and close cover. I don't usually use cover locks unless it's real windy out. It is starting to get cold out!

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »
I add my sanitizer (I use an alternative sanitizer) after soaking in the tub. I turn on all my jets on high, and then, like Hottubguy, I go inside and dry off, change, etc. I  I leave the jets running for 20 minutes with the cover off.

As for the clips on the cover, I’ve never used them. Part of the reason is that our tub is on a roof deck tucked into a corner, so on one side of the cover there is no way I can use them. On the other side I’ve just never bothered, but that may change.

We are on a lakefront and it does get pretty windy at times. It’s never been a problem until just a couple of days ago. We’ve definitely had worse winds, but it must have hit at just the right angle, because my wife and I were sitting in our front room and heard a loud thump. When we went to investigate, our hot tub cover had sailed off our roof deck and onto the ground 20 feet or so below. Luckily no one was hurt and no damage done. Definitely a lesson learned though. Right now I have some large, leftover patio bricks on top of the cover to prevent it happening again. I plan on installing the cover clips next chance I get although again, with our set up, I’ll only be able to use them on one side of the cover. I’ll keep the bricks on the other side.

amy2421

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:14 pm »
I plan on installing the cover clips next chance I get although again, with our set up, I’ll only be able to use them on one side of the cover. I’ll keep the bricks on the other side.

Do you have a cover-lifter installed? We have the CoverMate 3 and the clips on the backside of the tub stay clipped on all the time, and we can open and close the cover with those clips in place. We only ever open and close the clips on the front of the tub, which we've been doing every time we use it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to fiddle with them in -20 Celsius! :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:54 pm »
After using my tub, I add chlorine and run the jets as I am getting out.  In the winter time I have a robe available and I dry my self off somewhat, put my robe on and take my suit off. Once my suit is off I usually dry myself a little more then go inside and put on my PJs/lounging clothes and go back outside and shut everything down and close the cover. I have a Covermate 3 and my new cover has longer tie downs than my last cover purposely to have the back of my spa always clipped but I never have them clipped so they just dangle there (actually I never put the locking mechanisms on when I got the new cover).

Now in NJ, it usually doesn't get that cold and if it is windy out I really don't use my tub as it is just too miserable for me to have biting cold wind whipping around my wet body.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:22:56 pm »

I use a nature 2 stick, I add leisure time defender once a week, replenish once maybe twice a week and check the PH/ALK once  week if that if it's high I leave it.  Bright n clear every once in awhile.   I very rarely add chems after use and I close the lid after adding 80% of the time.  Going on 7 months same water now and it's crystal clear family of four+ extra's.    I think most people over think it, I have done this same system for years with customers and converted many from bromine, salt systems and peroxide with no problems.

Biggest problem I see is people stressing about it or worse not doing anything and expecting it to take care of itself.   

orlando1

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:51:47 pm »
Seeing these post about what people have to do who use the chlorine method is the main reason why I use bromine. I tried chlorine for a while, but it's just too much of a hassle. I use a floating brominator. I tuck it in the filter compartment when my wife and I use the tub just to get it out of the way, and many times I just leave it floating when I'm by myself(it never bothers me lol).

Now that we are having some cold nights, it's nice to just get out of the tub(also have a couple of patio heaters near our tub), dry off, close the lid, go in the house, and never have to go back outside. My brominator last 3 to 4 weeks before having to do anything to it. I shock once a week, add spa protect once a week and use bright and clear occasionally. I'm approaching 4 months and my water is crystal clear and my levels are spot on. I probably will change it soon just to keep things honest, though I feel I can easily go longer.

Not only do I not have to worry with the hassle of doing maintenance after every use, I only check my levels about twice a week and only have to add ph up occasionally. Yes I know, bromine isn't for everyone, but I couldn't imagine having to fool with the hassle of chlorine maintenance daily since that's how much I use my tub.

The only time I use the clips is when I'm out of town. It never gets windy enough here for me to have to use it. But I do appreciate having them when I'm away.

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:32 pm »
I plan on installing the cover clips next chance I get although again, with our set up, I’ll only be able to use them on one side of the cover. I’ll keep the bricks on the other side.

Do you have a cover-lifter installed? We have the CoverMate 3 and the clips on the backside of the tub stay clipped on all the time, and we can open and close the cover with those clips in place. We only ever open and close the clips on the front of the tub, which we've been doing every time we use it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to fiddle with them in -20 Celsius! :)

Hi Amy,
We have the "Cover Shelf" on our tub. Couldn't really use a regular cover lifter for a number of reasons and the Cover Shelf does work well for us. Only problem is that where the arms are attached to the side of the tub, it looks like they will interfere with where we would attach the strap attachment for the cover itself. I need to have a closer look at it to be sure. If all else fails, for now I'll just keep the bricks on top of the cover!

av8r

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:06:17 am »
I add bleach after use to attain  around 5ppm.  Sometimes I leave the cover open for a bit, sometimes I don't.  Several friends who have had tubs for decades have said they put chlorine in and close the cover immediately.  Neither one has had to replace a cover sooner than 7 years.

Clips are there for wind protection.  Use them when it's windy.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:21:19 am »
As far as the adding chlorine, we are regular users, our schedule is pretty predictable, so after 12 years, I'm pretty good at knowing just how much to add to keep the level to barely above 0 for the next nights soak. As a result, I usually only run the jets for about 2 minutes before closing the cover. Now if I know we are going to be away a few days, I'll add more and leave the cover open longer.

As for the cliips I always leave the 2 front ones clipped and all 4 if a known storm is coming.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:21:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42