What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is there a best brand of test strips, or are they all iffy?  (Read 13680 times)

Robrob

Is there a best brand of test strips, or are they all iffy?
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »
Hey guys- New spa owner here.

I *DO* own a taylor test kit, but running the full battery of tests takes me a while, and i don't have good/natural lighting for use in the evenings (which start at approximately 4pm in chicago these days, sigh.  While I have made it a point to get out and do water work in the morning before work, I would love to be able to take quick readings at night just for a gut check.

Are there any particular brands that stand out, strip wise?

Hot Tub Forum

Is there a best brand of test strips, or are they all iffy?
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Is there a best brand of test strips, or are they all iffy?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 06:27:00 pm »
I used both. Strips for a quick PH/Sanitizer check. Then got out the big guns for bi-weekly/monthly close checks. Never really saw to much difference in strips. I suppose there are better/fresher ones you can get. They are cheap, buy 2 different kinds the first time. If you find yourself adjusting more after you changed strip brands then yes, stick with one. Big discount centers could have older stock, sold at a discount. Might matter?
Retired

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:57:12 am »
Generally, the test strips are OK for pH unless the disinfectant level is higher.  For FC, some test strips do better than others but it's mostly about the technique since dipping into the water and removing can produce inconsistent results particularly if the water is swirling a lot.  It's best to test the water when it is more calm.  The other tests can be much worse because they make assumptions about the water chemistry.  TA is not as good, you usually can't test CH (most tests are Total Hardness only), and CYA is usually the worst.  So for pH and FC testing only, the test strips can be OK if you aren't needing a lot of accuracy.

Gibson00

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:21:28 am »
So what is the best (somewhat affordable) test kit to buy, that would cover everything you'd potentially need for a hot tub?

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:08:51 am »
Taylor test kit. But be sure and get the appropriate one for the sanitizer you are using.

av8r

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:01 am »
So what is the best (somewhat affordable) test kit to buy, that would cover everything you'd potentially need for a hot tub?

The standards I was referred to are:

Taylor K2006 for Chlorine
Taylor K2106 for Bromine

Gibson00

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13:06 pm »
Has anyone had any luck getting the Taylor kit in Canada?  Amazon, et won't ship them to Canada.  The few ebay sellers that will want $60 for postage....right....
Thx

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 04:13:39 pm »
In Canada, a company called "Lowry and Associates" have the exclusive distribution rights to the Taylor products. It is an absolute rip off as their prices are crazy - much, much more expensive than if you purchase in the U.S.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:24:39 pm »
Has anyone had any luck getting the Taylor kit in Canada?  Amazon, et won't ship them to Canada.  The few ebay sellers that will want $60 for postage....right....
Thx

cannuks....sheeesh. But maybe the re-agents cause a border problem for Amazon and others? Do online spa accessories companies not ship cross border either? Like www.poolsupplyworld.com ?
Retired

Quickbeam

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:46:51 pm »
 Do online spa accessories companies not ship cross border either? Like www.poolsupplyworld.com ?
[/quote]

Some of them will, but if they do it's by mistake. They are not supposed to because of the exclusive deal Lowry and Associates has with Taylor. I have had one company ship to me (sorry, don't remember who it was) and I've had others who confirmed my order, but then later came back and cancelled it and said they were not able to ship to Canada. There is a way around all this if you're creative, but that is not for an internet chat board.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:57 pm »
I shipped these things to Canada all the time...no problem. Other than shipping costs.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Quickbeam

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »
I shipped these things to Canada all the time...no problem. Other than shipping costs.

Good for you for doing that, because what Lowry and Associates charges Canadians is just outrageous. It's about a year ago, maybe longer, that I phoned Taylor directly and asked about getting them to ship to me. They were the ones that told me that Canadians must purchase from Lowry and Associates, as Lowry and Associates have the exclusive rights to sell in Canada. You can get these products from other pool supply shops, etc. in Canada, but as I understand it those supply shops must purchase from Lowry and Associates. I get my reagent refills from my local supply shop, and they have apologized to me for the prices they charge, and have told me it is because they must purchase from Lowry and Associates.

My experience with buying from the U.S. has been very similar. As I said earlier, I had one supplier from the U.S. ship to me, but I've had others who initially said they would fill the order, and then come back and tell me they were not allowed to ship Taylor products outside the U.S. Nice gig Lowry and Associates has going for them. And shame on Taylor for entering into this kind of agreement that sees us Canadians getting screwed.

HotTubster

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 11:38:35 am »
Anyone have any experience with the TFT Test Kit?  How does it compare to the Taylor?

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

chem geek

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »
The TFTestkits TF-100 uses Taylor reagents.  It is repackaged with different volumes of test chemicals that make more sense since you usually test chlorine and pH much more frequently that TA, CH and CYA.  See Test Kits Compared.  Note that the TF-100 uses the K-1000 pH test so is a smaller vial with a wider but more spaced out range of pH comparisons: 6.8, 7.2, 7.5, 7.8, 8.2 (see this image) whereas the K-2006 has 7.0, 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, 8.0 (see this image).

HotTubster

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
Ok thanks .....

Are any of the sub $200 electronic digital test readers any good?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42