What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new models???  (Read 3206 times)

kztahoe

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
new models???
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:54:59 am »
I am curious as to whether spas change models by the year somewhat like car models do or do they stay pretty much the same for several years. We got a price on getting a HS vanguard but never thought to ask what model year it was. We were assuming it was an 04 but maybe not. Is this important when negotiating on the price. If they do come out with new models when is the best time to buy perhaps a past years model opposed to the new current years model?? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

kay

Hot Tub Forum

new models???
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:54:59 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: new models???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:12:49 am »
They are sold by model year, much as cars are.
The dealers I've been to do have sales to clear out current years stock to make room for new models.  
I would guess the new models would be more expensive, and may have new features.
You may have slightly less choices buying a closeout, since you may not get that special shell color or other factory option, but you may also save some bucks.  It pays to shop around, and be aware of prices.  
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 09:29:12 am »
At the end of 2003 HotSpring made 38 changes to their spas, followed by a handful more in the early part of '04. These latter changes were to the Tiger River Bengal and Sumatran, and they followed a mid-year change to the Caspian: lose the stereo and add a second jet pump.

So find out what you are looking at - and good shopping!

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

IonHeaven

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 11:07:21 am »
Good question about new models! In my area it seems like most dealers aren't getting even the 2004s in stock until this fall.

Any thoughts on 2003 Beachcombers vs. 2004? I'm considering a 2003 720x that my dealer has in stock for $6500. However with the help of this forum I now realize that it lacks features now included in the 2004LE such as the 24/7 hush pump, 5.5kw heater (instead of 4.0) and LED lights.

I'm wondering if I should spend more and order the 04LE or hold out for the awaited 2005? I don't think I can wait THAT long!! I've already waited long enough and thanks to the folks on this message board, I hope to make a decision soon.

Just a few more wet tests away....Thanks! IonHeaven

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 12:12:56 pm »
At the end of 2003 HotSpring made 38 changes to their spas

Chas,
Not picking on the line here buddy but that sounds like a phenomenal amount of change so lets explain. Hotspring is one of the manufactures that have been pretty resistant to big changes over the years. In fact I believe the original idea was to try the new things out on the TR line.

Most manufactures try to make as few changes as possible while still trying to maintain a competitive edge and install the most up to date technology.

I personally don't like to see more than 2 or 3 changes on a line per year unless the tried and true method is so archaic that it just isn't working anymore. No matter how good of an RD department you have, you can’t always foresee what the long-term issues might be with your changes. 38 changes in a year could be a negative in the long haul if they are mostly “new and unique”. We’re a young industry so although there is a world of new things available for us we need to take it slow and test, test, test. Remember, many of the people selling are selling it as the “Only way to do it” and telling customers these will last forever. The combination of this and many companies using the customer as the guinea pig (not referring to Watkins) is what gives us some of the negatives that are coming up more and more with prior owners.

Major mold and configuration changes means major price increases down the line. It isn't cheap to revamp!

BTW, I do like many of the changes to HS this year!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 11:20:12 pm »
I like the changes too - my favorite is the larger pumps on the new 'HP' models (more jets at the same time, but still not outrageous) and the new medium-sized jets. We now have small, medium, large and extra-large jets in addition to the tried-and-true Moto Massage and the Soothing Seven.

I also like the water features, well, some of them...

All in all: Good move Watkins!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:52:11 am »
Moto Massage and the Soothing Seven.

why do do you call your jets by those names without fail?  In the words of Greg Welsh "Because their ours and we can!"

Is Watkins doing 2 speed pumps on just a few models this year?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:52:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42