What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi increased electricity usage  (Read 8366 times)

amarone

Jacuzzi increased electricity usage
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »
We have had a Jacuzzi J-345 for about 8 years.  Last winter it started using considerably more electricity.  Our cover was waterlogged and we read that this can cause a decrease in insulation effectiveness, and therefore an increase in heating costs.  We replaced the cover.  Things seemed to improve, but in hindsight I think the weather just got warmer.  This winter our electricity bills are higher than in summer, when we have three air conditioners going a lot of the time.  Our electric company shows usage data for the last three years and we can see that in January, average usage has increased from low 40s kWh/day in 2013 to about 70 in 2015. 

We can see that the bulk of usage comes in two spikes: 3am to 7am, and 3pm to 8pm.  The filtration/heating mode is set to F1, which means it runs every 12 hours, so that fits with 3am and 3pm. However, it is supposed to run for 30 minutes, not 3 - 4 hours.

The following links show usage in January (top chart) for each of 2013, 2014 and 2015.  The bottom chart in each case shows usage on a day we were out of town.  The hot tub is the only thing we have that would use variable amounts of electricity while we are out (apart from air conditioning, but that does not come on in January).

Does anyone have any idea what our issue could be?  I expect we will call a service technician, but it would nice to be educated first.

Thanks for any help.

2013:  http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/amarone58/ElectricityJan2013.jpg

2014:  http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/amarone58/ElectricityJan2014.jpg

2015:  http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/amarone58/ElectricityJan2015.jpg

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi increased electricity usage
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Jacuzzi increased electricity usage
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »
 Hard to say what would cause the increase.   Cover for sure but after that to many variables.   As far as the filter cycle on F1 yes it should run pump 1 on low for 30 min twice a day if I remember right.   If it calls for heat the heater comes on.   You might try shutting the power off for 20 min reset the filter cycle and see if it changes anything.    Are you saying that pump 1 runs for 3 or 4 hours on low in the F1 setting? 

amarone

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »
Hard to say what would cause the increase.   Cover for sure but after that to many variables.   As far as the filter cycle on F1 yes it should run pump 1 on low for 30 min twice a day if I remember right.   If it calls for heat the heater comes on.   You might try shutting the power off for 20 min reset the filter cycle and see if it changes anything.    Are you saying that pump 1 runs for 3 or 4 hours on low in the F1 setting?
I do not know if the pump runs for 3 - 4 hours; I just know that electricity usage is significantly elevated for that length of time. It is particularly noticeable in the 3am - 7am hours.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:55:54 pm »
  Neighbors using it?    ;)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:03:25 pm »
One thing you omit to mention is how the ambient air temps differ from one year to the next.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

amarone

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:37:30 pm »
One thing you omit to mention is how the ambient air temps differ from one year to the next.
The charts I linked to have temperatures for 2014 and 2015, but unfortunately not for 2013 as the electric company did not provide that data. However, the much greater recent electricity usage occurs throughout the winter.  The individual dates I chose for 2014 (Jan 18) and 2015 (Jan 1) show the temperature on those days.  Jan 1, 2015 was 10 - 12 degrees warmer than Jan 18, 2014, yet electricity usage was significantly higher.  On 1/18/14 the 4am 3-hour peak used 13kWh when the temperature was 22F.  On 1/1/15 we used 21kWh with a temperature of 33 - 34F.

And 2014 used more electricity than 2013 - only 7kWh in the same 3 hour "peak" (although back then, the peak was all in one hour, which fits better with the fact the pump is supposed to run only for 30 minutes), although I do not have temperatures for comparison purposes.

amarone

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:18 am »
I lowered the temperature to 80F and switched the filtration/heating mode to F0, which should mean that it operates for just 5 minutes, once a day.  Sure enough, I now only had one peak, still at 3AM.  However, it still lasted 3 hours and used about 16kWh. Ambient temperature was about 39F.

At least I have a lot of information to report to a service technician.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:12:48 am »
 Not sure what your goal is?   A spa does what it does.  Pumps draw so many amps and so does the heater.   Being your spa is 8 years old and out of warranty. About the only thing I can see doing is changing the circuit board which will be in the 4 or 500 dollar range, an updated eprom chip may change it.     If that doesn't fix it then it's hit and miss with replacing pumps and heater which again is parts and labor with the end result being the same most likely.     Not sure why it's spiking your electric use but also not sure what else it can be.   

amarone

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 10:14:03 am »
Not sure what your goal is?   A spa does what it does.  Pumps draw so many amps and so does the heater.   Being your spa is 8 years old and out of warranty. About the only thing I can see doing is changing the circuit board which will be in the 4 or 500 dollar range, an updated eprom chip may change it.     If that doesn't fix it then it's hit and miss with replacing pumps and heater which again is parts and labor with the end result being the same most likely.     Not sure why it's spiking your electric use but also not sure what else it can be.   
My goal is to get electricity usage to back what it used to be. I had hoped my problem might be a known situation and someone would be able to say "Ah, yes, that sounds like.....".  I will call a tech out.  Even if it costs $500, I will get that back in a little over a year if usage can be reduced to what it was previously. 

Quickbeam

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:59 am »
My goal is to get electricity usage to back what it used to be. I had hoped my problem might be a known situation and someone would be able to say "Ah, yes, that sounds like.....".  I will call a tech out.  Even if it costs $500, I will get that back in a little over a year if usage can be reduced to what it was previously.

If you do find out what the problem is, please post back on this forum and let us know. I also have a Jacuzzi J-345, although mine is only one year old. Would still like to know what the issue is though. Thanks.

amarone

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »

If you do find out what the problem is, please post back on this forum and let us know. I also have a Jacuzzi J-345, although mine is only one year old. Would still like to know what the issue is though. Thanks.

Will do.  Service technician is coming out on Wednesday.

amarone

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 02:10:31 pm »
Well, no luck.  Everything tested out okay.  The technician had not heard of similar issues. He said he would make some inquiries and get back to us.  He did not.

The best guess I have is that the problem started when our cover got waterlogged and then the after-market cover I bought to replace it was not as good as the original, resulting in more heat loss and therefore higher heating bills.

Sam

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
Where did you get the cover and what specs does it have?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »
Where did you get the cover and what specs does it have?
Good question.

I would find out for certain if your tub is doing something during the hours of 3-6 (ish). For example, if you are running it with basically no filter cycles programmed, then what is running during those hours? If you have the tub set to only heat starting at 3, ("Econ" mode) then that would account for the power spikes at 3 and 3.

Of course, you still need to look at total use, and as Doc suggested, count in the cooler or warmer weather conditions.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42