What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clarathon XL Ozonator 240V  (Read 4720 times)

johngaul

Clarathon XL Ozonator 240V
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:48:52 am »
I have a Thermospa Park Avenue Exec that is 10+ years old but new to me. I ordered a new ozonator, Clarathon-XL-Ozonator-Kit---240V.
I installed the new unit yet not sure it is working. I do not see any light at the end which indicates when it ti working, or at least I believe that is what should happen. The old unit had a 3 wire connection, green white black, the new unit only has 2 white & black. Each lead has 120v with 240v measured across the two leads.

I called tech support at SpaDepot were I purchased the unit. The agent told me the 2 wire setup was correct and the unit was internally grounded. This doesn't make sense to me yet he was adamant this was correct. The agent questioned if I knew how to put the spa in ozone mode as this is controlled by the electronics. I again stated that the voltage was 240v across the leads and if this is true then it should be on. This went on for awhile.
My first question: Is it correct that the 240v unit only has a black & white wire with no ground? If so, I assume I received a defective unit.

I mentioned to the tech that there was no bubbles being produced when in ozone cycle and the 240v on the leads. Everything I read in my manual stated bubbles would be generated form the ozonator. He proceeded to school me that there would be no bubbles and the ozonator only produced light. The ozonator has a hose connected to it then directly to a port near the bottom of the spa..
Question 2: If the ozonator was working would there be bubbles produced?

This is my first post, if I have not provided enough details let me know and I will update. The tech sent me a RMA for the unit I received yet I do not want to have them send me another until I understand if what he has told me is factual. Thanks for you assistance.

Hot Tub Forum

Clarathon XL Ozonator 240V
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:48:52 am »

Kev B

Re: Clarathon XL Ozonator 240V
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:44 am »
 Your ozone unit is simply a light that the air goes through...the tub itself has a venturi line built in somewhere that creates air flow. You must find the reason it is not sucking air. With the system running, take off the in line check valve and see if it sucks air, make sure you did not install the check valve backwards. Without airflow, ozone unit is useless.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
What the tech told you is true. There's unlikely anything wrong with the ozonztor. The ozonator does NOT produce any bubbles. It is simply a box, with a UV light bulb in it. Other aspects of the spa draw air through the box, where some of the O2 in the air is converted to O3, and drawn into the water.

Think of it this way. Blow through a straw. Air comes out the end of the straw. Stop blowing. Now no air is coming out of the straw. Is the straw broken?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:19:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I commend you on the excellent detail.  I'm just the master of cerimonies, I see others are all ready helping you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

johngaul

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:53 pm »
Your ozone unit is simply a light that the air goes through...the tub itself has a venturi line built in somewhere that creates air flow. You must find the reason it is not sucking air. With the system running, take off the in line check valve and see if it sucks air, make sure you did not install the check valve backwards. Without airflow, ozone unit is useless.

It doesn't have a venturi line, the ozonator has a tube that goes straight to a port on the tub. There is a flow valve in the line to prevent water backflow to the ozonator. The flow valve is installed correctly.

johngaul

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:50 pm »
What the tech told you is true. There's unlikely anything wrong with the ozonztor. The ozonator does NOT produce any bubbles. It is simply a box, with a UV light bulb in it. Other aspects of the spa draw air through the box, where some of the O2 in the air is converted to O3, and drawn into the water.

Think of it this way. Blow through a straw. Air comes out the end of the straw. Stop blowing. Now no air is coming out of the straw. Is the straw broken?
My ozonator has a line directly to a port on the tub. This is illustrated in the instructions as a viable method on installation. It also illustrates the venture method yet that is not what I have.

johngaul

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:24 pm »
Please confirm you are stating that the 2 wire 240v connection is correct versus the 3 wire my old unit had?
Also, should I expect it to light on the end as illustrated in the instructions if there is 240v across the 2 leads?

Thanks for any responses, I do not want to send this unit back for replacement to end up with another with the same scenario if something else is wrong.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:42 pm »
The instructions for the ozonator state that when on, there's a visible blue light from the end of the translucent cap. If it's getting proper power, and there's no light, the ozonator is bad.

The lack of a ground may very well be correct, as 1, they told you it is, and 2, the instruction for installation specifically say it MUST be connected through a GFCI.

Connected to a "port"? If that port does not create suction, drawing air through the ozonator, you have the wrong type of ozonator (you'd need one with a built in air pump/compressor....MUCH more expensive). And, if you have the wrong type, it's possible that that actually caused the one you have to burn out extremely prematurely (e.g. it wasn't bad when you received it)..
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Kev B

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:12:35 am »
 Hey Dr Spa.... I don't know why I bother, you are always right on. Many people in here try to troubleshoot things without a multimeter and without that, I, being a pro troubleshooter, would have a difficult time, yet alone a novice trying it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:12:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42