What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sanitation Practices  (Read 4980 times)

olman

Sanitation Practices
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »
I'm a newbie with a spa due at my home in two weeks.  I've never had a spa before, but we've maintained a 24,500 gallon pool with no problems.  We will be closing the pool about the time the spa arrives.  My main question is what do we do differently to maintain spa water.  It seems we can use the same chemicals, ph up, ph down, chlorine, chlorine shock, non-chlorine shock, a water quality product like pool frog, etc  although in much smaller quantities.  With spas, I continually see bromine listed as a main chemical.  Is this the equivalent of a non-chlorine shock?  If so, is it a secondary sanitizer, meaning the water still requires a chlorine shock once a week or so to keep it sanitary?  Thanks in advance for any comments on what experienced spa owners now use for sanitation.

Hot Tub Forum

Sanitation Practices
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »

doodle

Re: Sanitation Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Bromine is a sanitizer.  Its my understanding that the reason you see bromine coming up regarding hot tubs is that it is more stable in hot water.  You would still use a shock in addition to the use of the bromine, and of course the balancing chemicals you mentioned.

There are others here on the forum who are much better at explaining the water chemistry than I, but I wanted to get you at least one response to this post.  There are many, many posts that debate which sanitizer is best here.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Sanitation Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42