What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Premature failure of pump seal  (Read 3934 times)

zilgnok

Premature failure of pump seal
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »
I have a hot tub, about 6 months old, and I noticed it leaking at the shaft seal on the main pump. It's not a big leak, let's say about a quarter to half cup of water during a typical hot tub session. There's white residue around the shaft, and white residue on the floor where it has been dripping. My previous hot tub went about 10 years before having any pump problems, so I'm surprised this has happened so soon.

I'm wondering if there's anything I've done that could have caused this? I've tried to maintain all of the chemicals within limits. I do use chlorine as my sanitizer, and I find it does take a fair amount to keep the recommended 3-5ppm residual level (about a tablespoon, each time I use the tub).

Hot Tub Forum

Premature failure of pump seal
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

Chartreux

Re: Premature failure of pump seal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »
Have you contacted the dealer you bought your hot tub from?
Others will come by with plenty of help, good luck to you and I hope it can get fixed.

zilgnok

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:07:29 pm »
Have you contacted the dealer you bought your hot tub from?
Others will come by with plenty of help, good luck to you and I hope it can get fixed.

I haven't yet, but I plan on having them repair it under warranty. Even if it wasn't under warranty, I'm capable of replacing a pump seal myself (done it before). I'm just curious about why it happened...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
I have a hot tub, about 6 months old, and I noticed it leaking at the shaft seal on the main pump. It's not a big leak, let's say about a quarter to half cup of water during a typical hot tub session. There's white residue around the shaft, and white residue on the floor where it has been dripping. My previous hot tub went about 10 years before having any pump problems, so I'm surprised this has happened so soon.

I'm wondering if there's anything I've done that could have caused this? I've tried to maintain all of the chemicals within limits. I do use chlorine as my sanitizer, and I find it does take a fair amount to keep the recommended 3-5ppm residual level (about a tablespoon, each time I use the tub).

Is this the same brand tub as your previous one? All pump seals are not created equal. 3-5PPM chlorine all the time?  soak I would say 3-5 PPM or more but in a day or so I would hope you let it drop to .5-1PPM?
Retired

zilgnok

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:09 am »
Is this the same brand tub as your previous one? All pump seals are not created equal. 3-5PPM chlorine all the time?  soak I would say 3-5 PPM or more but in a day or so I would hope you let it drop to .5-1PPM?

Same brand, but about 20 years later, so I'm not sure that means anything. Back then I sanitized with Bromine tablets, and pretty much did absolutely no chemical maintenance, and yet the thing was trouble free. This time I'm paying close attention to the chemical levels.

I would say within a day it's down to somewhere around 1 to 2 ppm. I was never sure whether if it was supposed to fall off like that, or maintain a constant level.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:49:56 am »
I would let it fall so the level is low for my soak. But even IF you always maintained 3-5 PPM that still doesn't explain the pump seal. Call the dealer.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:49:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42