What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-355 Versus my generator  (Read 3875 times)

Budule

Jacuzzi J-355 Versus my generator
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:34 pm »
Well were pretty sure its gona be the Jacuzzi J-355 , heres my dilemma that I kinda forgot about , I have a whole house Generac generator that will not handle much more of a load on it as it was sized for the stuff we had , now im adding a 60 amp hot tub......my main concern is the power goes off while im not home (if it goes off while im here , ill just kill the hot tub)  what EXACTLY happens when the power goes off to the Jacuzzi and then is reapplied 15 seconds later ? Im wondering if it comes on "full force " as some kind of test (which would pull major amps and kill the generator) of if just the circulation pump comes on (which wouldn't draw much amperage )  Im trying to come up with a way to not even have it on the generator but it powers the whole house , so far  no luck with that.......I was hoping they made breakers that needed "reset" after a power outage , no luck there either...... 

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi J-355 Versus my generator
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:34 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Jacuzzi J-355 Versus my generator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:26 pm »
 If the breaker does not trip at the occurrence of the power outage which most likely it will.   When the spa comes back on it defaults to 98 degrees.
  Power surges and blinking power outages are hard on any spa, that being said if enough power from the generator is not there that can be hard on it as well.  How many amps or watts do you have available with your generator?   

Budule

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:00:07 pm »
If the breaker does not trip at the occurrence of the power outage which most likely it will.   When the spa comes back on it defaults to 98 degrees.
  Power surges and blinking power outages are hard on any spa, that being said if enough power from the generator is not there that can be hard on it as well.  How many amps or watts do you have available with your generator?

Im not really sure , I know when the AC kicks on it "moans" a bit.....I think I can do a "load shedding" of the AC but not sure......when you say "When the spa comes back on it defaults to 98 degrees "  what else would be on besides the heater (if it calls for heat I guess) ......as long as the big pumps don't come on for a "test mode" I think it wouldn't pull much  ......

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:38:16 pm »
 Re-read my post it was not right.   If the breaker trips obviously the spa will not come back on.  If it doesn't trip the spa will default to 98 degrees. The circ pump will be on as will the heater if it's calling for heat.  If the heater fails yet the power is on, the spa will run in a freeze protection mode which means circ pmp will run,  pmp 1 and pmp 2 will kick on periodically to keep water moving to prevent freezing in the main lines.

If it's freezing, and the power goes out. Depending on how cold it is you got about 1 ta 2 days to either drain it, or come up with another solution. 

Chartreux

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:18 pm »
Can you place a surge protector on this to keep the power fluctations at bay, won't help if the power goes off but will help to keep it from giving a huge power surge when it comes back on.

dunecritter

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:37 am »
Like Jim Said...when power comes back on the circ pump should come on first and then the heater once the board finishes it's start up  and will eventually turn on the heater back to its last setting or default of 98 but it should not be a "Full Force" once power is restored and the main pumps will not come on at all by themselves unless the tub had a faulty heater and went to freeze protection. Regardless the start up of your spa should not be enough to kill or shut down your gen set unless your at max capacity already.

Budule

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:09 am »
I might be ok then......i seam to remember my old spa (10 years ago) would do a count down then EVERYTHING would come on for a short while.....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42