What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping list for the spa's arrival  (Read 4418 times)

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Shopping list for the spa's arrival
« on: June 21, 2004, 08:40:03 am »
We are getting our J365 on July 14.  I want to have everything ready when it gets here.  I'm not sure what chems I will get from the dealer, I know it will be a chlorine system.  I guess I will get the usual: sanitizer (Dichlor?) spa up/down, filter cleaner solution, test strips of some kind.  

I'm working up a shopping list to order from rhtubs so I will have it here before the tub comes, please see if this is what I will need:

Nature 2 cartridge

Taylor test kit (do I really need this? I've read that the strips arent very accurate, but this kit looks impressive and complicated and while I enjoy science/chemistry I wonder if I will really need this much of a test kit, but it does look cool tho.  I'm afraid I will be testing water everywhere just cuz I can!)

Swirl Away (I want to fill-SwirlAway-drain-refill initially becuz of what I've read about "leaktest" water left in system from factory, ick.)

303 Protectant (see? I really do read all the posts on these forums)

Leisure Time Spa gloss for shell

Metal Gone (do I always have to add this at fillup or will I test water first? And do you get this with chems at delivery?)

Do I need these too?  Spa Defender, Spa Bright & Clear, Velvet Touch?  I am also going to buy 2 spare filters at dealership, and of course I threw in a few toys that I saw at the rh website.  I didnt really look at the wall of chems at dealership, but if he has these things and prices are comparable, I will purchase from him first.  But in general, how does my list look? Complete? Incomplete? Overkill?

I've taken on the responsibility for learning water care, so I'm sure I will have more questions in the next few weeks (or years)  Thanks for all the help.  
Thanks, Lori

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping list for the spa's arrival
« on: June 21, 2004, 08:40:03 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Shopping list for the spa's arrival
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:33:17 am »
Looks like a nice, comprehensive list.

I have never used Spa Gloss, but then, I now own my first glossy spa, so I may!

As to the test kit: this is an area where many of us regulars agree to disagree. I am all for test strips, because they are so easy. I have seen a lot of new tub owners through the first few months of ownership (it's very easy, but most folks get a little overwhelmed at first) and the strips just seem to work fine.

Defender is good insurance against a couple of things: scale buildup if your pH and TA go high together, and stains from things like hairpins or metal toys being left in the tub, as well as the iron dropouts that happen from some city water supplies.

Bright and Clear is handy, but don't put it in unless you need it. The label says to put in 2 ounces twice a week, and that will only give you foaming problems and waste money. I don't even have a bottle right now, come to think of it, but I do have one in each store, ready to clear up a cloudy spa if we get one.

Yes, a kit is more accurate, and depending upon what model you buy, it may do other tests beyond what a bottle of strips can do. Try the strips for a while, and see if you need more info - or, if you have trouble detecting the color variations on the strips, the kit may be for you.

Next to my spa at home, I have: test strips, spa down, Dichlor, foam down.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 11:51:25 am »
Looks like a nice, comprehensive list.

As to the test kit: this is an area where many of us regulars agree to disagree. I am all for test strips, because they are so easy.

Here is a possible compromise.  I purchased a test kit from HTH, for pools and it looks very similar to the Taylor kit, but not quite as comprehensive.  ($19US at Wal-Mart)

This kit is quite easy to use and getting accurate results for PH, alkalinity, and hardness are much easier. My test strips show the sanitizer level and is pretty easy to read, but most times I can't get the pH to within 1.0 using a strip.  Hardness strips are a pure mystery.

The weakness of strips is if you look at the choices of readout, the numbers are far apart.   If you are one of the people whose alkalinity and PH are on the opposite sides of the scale, you will drive yourself nuts trying to get them both in range.  

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:53:55 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 02:35:03 pm »
good idea - and keep in mind that Taylor makes a wide variety of test kits, from the simple to the very complex.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 09:42:56 pm »
Lori,
Honestly I have found that the less you agonize over what you have to add, what you have to test and how much you work on the spa the better you will do.

Most new spa owners have a tendency to over-do-it and then turn around and under-do-it. Relax, enjoy the spa, and just remember to add sanitizer. Your water balance is very important but Sanitizer is vital.

A couple of the things I would recommend is robes, water proof slippers and plastic spa cups for water (Oh, and don't forget the bottle of wine for the inauguration!)

Try ownership for a week or two before you start buying products and you will have a better feel for what you need. Most dealers start you out with enough to get you through the learning process.

BTW, I fully agree with chas, test strips are fine and very easy! Enjoy

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 10:24:28 pm »
Lori,
Honestly I have found that the less you agonize over what you have to add, what you have to test and how much you work on the spa the better you will do.

Most new spa owners have a tendency to over-do-it and then turn around and under-do-it. Relax, enjoy the spa, and just remember to add sanitizer. Your water balance is very important but Sanitizer is vital.

A couple of the things I would recommend is robes, water proof slippers and plastic spa cups for water (Oh, and don't forget the bottle of wine for the inauguration!)

Try ownership for a week or two before you start buying products and you will have a better feel for what you need. Most dealers start you out with enough to get you through the learning process.

BTW, I fully agree with chas, test strips are fine and very easy! Enjoy

I second that, good solid advice.  Feel your way first.
Enjoy the Wine!

Regards, Zz

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:32:35 am »
I will agree with ZZ and Stuart.

Relax, the water chemistry will come to you.  When I first started, I was like you (not only in name  ;), I thought I needed a bunch of stuff.  I did buy a Taylor Kit, but only for my own piece of mind.  I didn't like the strips at first, but after working with them for 9 months, I can see the color match better.  I use the Taylor Kit, now, about once a month for a specific reading, unless I need to check the chlorine, my strips do not read chlorine.

One thing that I would suggest, buy a small datebook or calendar (or just keep a journal) and chart your results for a few months.  It helped me to see the patterns of my water.  It also showed me how easy my water is to take care of.  When I fill with fresh water, as long as I get my TA and Ph in line, it is fairly stable (depending on use).

Just some thoughts!

P.S.  I don't remember reading if you had taken some water in to the dealer for an initial test.  Also, ask specifically what chemicals your dealer is supplying you with.  Mine gave me Chlorine, MPS, filter cleaner, and test strips.  Others have gotten the full array of products.

Good luck, and as Roger would say, relax, it will come to you!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 11:00:45 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did simplify my order and now just waiting for it to arrive.  Lori, thats a good idea about the journal...I had planned on doing that too, figured it might be helpful if we ever need warranty work too.

In fact, thats all we have left to do is wait!  We just finished all of our prep work today.  We added 4ft onto the deck; added 13ft of privacy fencing on one side, attached a bench to that fencing with some hooks up above for towels and stuff; added iron planters with ivy; added a set of 6 surface mount deck lights for a soft glow.  And on the only other side where we needed some privacy, we built a frame w/wood valance and we're stealing Doodoo's idea using the fabric shower curtains w/iron tiebacks.  I will post pics as soon as I can...tub comes July 14.  The waiting is harder than all the work and sweat!  

SunshyneGyrl

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 12:03:50 am »
i also just use taylors test kit once or twice a month and the test strips the other times (which takes some getting used to), always use metal gon on every fill, never stop using defender!!! bright and clear will help and use when needed, and as for velvet touch - really helps if your skin tends to dry out!  have fun!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 12:03:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42