What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Really Sensitive Skin?  (Read 15961 times)

jaw

• Golf - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Really Sensitive Skin?
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:20:22 am »
My kids and to a lesser extent, my wife have very sensitive skin.  They have gotten several rashes from hot tub use - and I have never gotten even 1.

The routine is shock about every 10 days or so with MPS, or sometimes 1.5 oz dichlor, spa perfect about every 10 days - alternating with the shock, 1 tea s p oon dichlor per bather per use - after use.  I have an ozonator and use N2.

I clean filters - using instant spray and hose off stuff monthly.

I add about 1 oz of baking soda to get ph and TA up about every 8 to 10 days too.

The water tests ok when i maintain this - and I will add a couple teaspoons dichlor if we don't use the tub for more than 2 days.

Also, I drain on 4 month schedule, and use swirlaway per directions.

So, is there a system for sensitive skin or another additive or shall i use different enzymes or WHAT?!

Thanks.

I'd prefer to not use Eco One, as I see it, if J A recommends it, there must be something bad about it.

Thanks in advance for any assist.

Hot Tub Forum

Really Sensitive Skin?
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:20:22 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Really Sensitive Skin?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:52:11 am »
JAW,
Try shocking with Enhanced Shock as opposed to regular MPS, add Di-Chlor at least once a week and leave the cover open. I would first consider doing a chemical clean and drain in case you have pseudomonas bacteria in the spa (it sounds like you do). The number one cause of this is someone urinating in the spa and not enough sanitizer. Regular MPS is not a true sanitizer but an oxidizer; you have to use a sanitizer in addition. The enhanced shock has sanitizer in it. Just throw in about 1-2 oz after you get out each time and you should be fine. Email me if you have a question on how to do a chemical clean (I think you should). A freind of mine went through the same thing recently and changed to a SoftSoak system. He loves it and thinks its the only way to go, I'm not sure fro me as you have to keep up with it and I sometimes don't even check my spa for a month. Another Idea is the new floating "Frog" system.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:20:19 am »
The number one cause of this is someone urinating in the spa and not enough sanitizer.

Ok, I've just decided.  No kids under 12 in my tub!

jaw

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 10:49:42 am »
There are many things possible - but I assure you, urinating in the tub is one thing that I do not have to worry about - we have had several discussions with the kids on this and overall spa use.

The water - for what it's worth is crystal clear.

Sanitizer wise - I will need to check the label of my shock - I assume it is MPS - but it could be the other stuff Stuart mentioned.

My biggest concerns are why them and not me?  If it is indeed pseudomonas bacteria?

And why not routinely - seems to happen to both kids same time, no ryhme or reason as to when (we are on 3rd fill with the tub), and it has happened to each of them at least 4 times, and my wife 2 times - me never.

I was actually told that I was using too much dichlor hence the need to keep adding baking soda to get the PH and TA up.

Anyway, Stuart I will contact you off line on this.

Thanks
Jaw

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:02:28 pm »
Hey Jaw,

Just a suggestions, but have you had the rashes tested by a doctor?  Maybe they are reacting to something else (i.e. scents put into water)?  Maybe they have eczema or something akin to it, and they are having flare ups?

Just a couple of thoughts.  I have pretty sensitive skin, myself.  I have eczema and it will flare up sometimes due to the heat.

I also make sure I moisturize thoroughly afterwards.  I know it is hard to get kids to do that.  I'm sure your wife does.

Just a couple of thoughts.  Good luck!  I hope you can find an answer.  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

jaw

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 02:06:44 pm »
No, no eczema and no testing either - the docs who treated them seemed to think it was no big deal. It does not bother them, but it looks painful.

And it does not happen all the time, nor is a seasonal thing.

It seems directly attributable to the tub thoug.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 03:11:47 pm »
*SHRUG*

Hmmm,  I guess I don't know then.  Weird!  I would like to know what you find out, though!

*Fingers crossed*  I sure hope my luck holds out!

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 07:58:49 pm »
JAW,
The number one cause of this is someone urinating in the spa and not enough sanitizer.

Ok......... Now I've been in this business for *gulp* 23 years and have NEVER heard this one before. You sure it's #1? Can you please explain how/why/where/when WTF?

Yes urine is acidic, but it's also sterile.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 10:44:33 pm »
Now I've been in this business for *gulp* 23 years and have NEVER heard this one before. You sure it's #1? Can you please explain how/why/where/when WTF?

Yes urine is acidic, but it's also sterile.

OK, I didn't want to get gross but, urine, feces, and bather waste bear an e-coli based bacterium (hence your mother telling you to wash your hands after using the bathroom) that can breed in hot water.

I got this info from a man named Doug Rice at the CSU water lab many years ago. I don't have the documentation handy but I do need to hunt it down. I will do that and email you with it.

Master! when I can snatch the bromine tablet from your open palm will I be a teacher?  :)

Signed, Grasshopper

Starlight

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 11:40:53 pm »
I'm with the Doctor on this one--unless someone is suffering from a urinary tract infection, urine should be sterile for most people.  See the National Institutes of Health page at http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/utiadult/

I'm interested if there's data saying otherwise.

Starlight

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 12:09:13 pm »
Ignorance is bliss and there are just some things I don' want to know. I'll just keep my bromine on the high side and shock more often put this out of my mind when entertaining in my spa!

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 12:42:07 pm »
I would look at the disinfectant

if you are useing bromine, which is easier on the skin, but is not as effective as a disinfectant as chlorine.

if you are using chlorine, maybe it is too harsh on the skin and try switching to bromine which is easier on the skin but not as effective as a disinfectant

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 01:48:29 pm »
Here are some links to sites explaining my comment on hot tub rash. These are not the study I was looking for but will find that.

http://c3.org/news_center/third_party/germ.html

http://millennium-debate.org/tel6june022.htm

http://www.ges-limited.co.uk/SwimmingPools.htm

http://www.nt.gov.au/health/healthdev/environ_health/environmental/legislation/poolah.shtml#pollution

http://www.q-net.net.au/~legion/Legionnaires_Disease_Spas_Hot_Tubs.htm

http://www.nrpa.org/content/default.aspx?documentId=1166

In every case it states that with proper sanitation this can be avoided. Almost every incident I have seen in the last 15 to 16 years was shortly after a party and usually after a kids party.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 03:21:28 pm »
Excellent info there Stuart, and they do mention urine contributing to the contamination of water. HOWEVER, you specifically said;

"The number one cause of this is someone urinating in the spa and not enough sanitizer.  "

This you said in response to the original post about sensitive skin and rashes. Now yes, urine being an organic can and will eat up available sanitizer, however, there are other organics of MUCH greater amounts that will depleat significantly more sanatizer.

Hey, did you check your "messages"?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 06:57:42 pm »
Great point Dr.! Your right, I was a bit dramatic with the "number one cause" statement. What I should have said is that it is more prevalent after a big party or something like urine is introduced into the spa water.

I did get my email and will call you as soon as I can talk a bit, I think it will be a time consuming issue!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 06:57:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42