What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Maxxus Delivered Today  (Read 11847 times)

Electro

Sundance Maxxus Delivered Today
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:27:20 am »
The Sundance Maxxus was delivered today.  I am not happy.

One of the problems involves the cover lift.  I spent 3 hours with the dealer/owner a month ago reviewing various cover lifts, so that my disabled wife could manipulate and open the spa.  I specifically discussed this with the dealer and he made recommendations.   I settled on the Covermate II, and paid extra over the Covermate I, since the Covermate II provides additional leverage and is easier to open.  The spa was delivered with the Covermate I.  I questioned the dealer and he seems to have no recollection of our discussion, which is documented in my detailed notes.   In response to my direct request, he refused to list the specific cover lift on the order form.  Today, he insisted it was correct that I get the Covermate I.  

The spa was delivered with no instructions.  I had found some info on the Sundance web site about how to do the installation, electrical connection and an owner's manual.  I printed these.  It is not clear as to which of the 3 jumper settings I have.  Does anyone have a pictorial description showing how to change the jumper between the 32, 40, and 48 amp settings, for use with 40, 50 and 60 amp breakers respectively?  This info does not appear to be in the manual.  I am quite irritated that the dealer did not provide any instructions at all.

Any suggestions?

Electro

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Maxxus Delivered Today
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:27:20 am »

Jordy

Re: Sundance Maxxus Delivered Today
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:59:05 am »
I take it you have already paid for the spa in full. If you paid by cheq. I would call the bank and cancel it right now. Then call the dealer and email/fax him a list of items that are unresolved w/respect to your agreement. You may be surprised at how quickly he regains his memory! If he seems unco-operative, tell him to come and pick it up as you will have nothing but problems in the future.

Starlight

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 03:05:06 am »
Sorry to hear that this is starting badly.  I just took delivery of a new Cameo last week and it came with a packet printed "Important Spa Owner Data" and the serial number of the tub.  The only really important useful things in it : 1. owners manual explaining how to set up filter cycles, etc., 2. warranty for cover--to be mailed within 10 days, 3. warranty for tub--to be mailed within 14 days.  The delivery guys positioned the spa, installed the ozonator, and said a tech would come out to configure the jumpers.  I didn't argue since my electrical isn't ready.  I know that sundance has the manual in pdf on their site, and I would raise a big stink with the dealer over the missing warranty papers.  It sounds as though your relationship with the dealer is already almost an adversarial one; if it isn't a simple misunderstanding that does not bode well for the future.  Options that I see:

1.  Do nothing if additional dealer contact not fruitful, get warranty papers from dealer/corporate
2.  Try to exchange cover lifter for upgraded version, maybe pay a differential
3.  Raise stink with dealer and elevate issues to Sundance corporate
4.  Stop payment/contest charge
5.  Tell dealer to remove tub and start over with a new dealer.

The manual does not have any jumper configuration information; however, the export version does.  See  www.sundancespas.com/Communications/ InstructionManuals/E850EMan.pdf  

I know how angry I would be if I had to invest the time to correct these mistakes, so I feel for you.  I hope this is resolved quickly and favorably for you.

Starlight

ZNICK

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 03:30:26 am »
GASP! (I couldn't help it guys, forgive me)   :-[

Z

Tubber

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 06:11:44 am »
Sorry to say this but sounds like your dealers a little lost.  We will not even offer the covermate 1 or 11 for the maxxus. The covers just to heavy for those lifters.  did you get a pre delivery guide all the electrical info will be in that.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 08:17:28 am »
The jumper information is not in the manual.
The jumper comes from the factory for a 60 amp breaker.  If the dealer left it alone then you should be able to tell if it's set that way.  Turn on pump 2 or 3 and see if the heater kicks on.  If it does not, then your are running set for 40 amp breaker.  If the heater does kick on, then turn on both pumps 2 and 3.  If the heater shuts off, you are set for a 50 amp breaker.  If it stays on, you have the factory setting of 60 amps.  I am assuming that you wired for 60.  I'd bet that the dealer left the jumper at 60 unless you asked them to switch it.
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience.  
Brewman
Brewman

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 08:29:39 am »
Congrats on the new Maxxus, but sorry to hear of your troubles.  Your experience has made me rethink my plan of paying cash upfront before delivery.  Maybe I should take the 6mo/same as cash deal just so I have a little leverage with my dealer?  That would give me a few months to make sure I get some service should it be needed.  I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction.  The Maxxus is a beautiful spa!  When I took my family to the SD showroom, my 15yr old twins immediately walked to that one and said "Why cant we have this one??"  Kids...gotta love em.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 05:52:16 pm »
Man I'm sorry to hear this. You have worked so hard to make your choice - and I know you'll love the tub - but these detail items are no fun. Especially if your wife can't lift the cover.

Please keep us posted - did they install the lifter? If not, maybe I can swap you one if the dealer wont. I would think you would want the Covermate III, which has the air springs.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 06:45:30 pm »
Congrats on the new Maxxus, but sorry to hear of your troubles.  Your experience has made me rethink my plan of paying cash upfront before delivery.  Maybe I should take the 6mo/same as cash deal just so I have a little leverage with my dealer?  That would give me a few months to make sure I get some service should it be needed.

Not sure if this would work or not.  Unless the dealer is offering their own financing, they will get the money from whatever bank is working with them on the financing.  The dealer would get paid from that, they wouldn't be without their money for 6 months.  Not sure if you'd get the same type of security as using a credit card.  
Brewman

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
Well, then....
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 08:11:31 pm »
Sounds to me like they just plopped it down and ran off like scared bunnies.  Sorry to hear it!

So, for other posters who have been defending to the death the overwhelming importance of buying from a dealer rather than a big-box store, what's up with this?

Rboehme

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 08:49:18 pm »
This is a rare occurance as most dealers want thier customers to be happy.

When you purchased the spa did you sign an invoice stating what you purchased? Did you get a copy?

Explain to the dealer that the reason you purchased from them is because you felt that they were the best choice, and that you felt comfortable that they would treat you well.

Let them know that you are not satisfied with the service you have recieved so far. That you can not recommend them to your friends and neighbors until you feel that you have been properly taken care of.

If you put a stop payment on your check or dispute your credit card charge you will have to be able to provide proof that you did not receive what you payed for.(Invoice)

Also remember that you catch more bees with honey than with vinager.

Good luck.

Rboehme

Re: Well, then....
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 08:50:28 pm »
Sounds to me like they just plopped it down and ran off like scared bunnies.  Sorry to hear it!

So, for other posters who have been defending to the death the overwhelming importance of buying from a dealer rather than a big-box store, what's up with this?

There are exceptions to every rule.

Electro

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 02:44:30 am »
Hi EveryOne,                                   :)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

I'm mulling over my options on what to do.  I've been busy today, writing an electrical program review, finishing design of my 100 amp feeder - for future remodeling - and 60amp GFCI subpanel, purchasing the parts and materials, reviewing the work with one of my engineer/electricians, getting the design in for a permit, and catching up on several hundred e-mails at the office.  Actually, that was yesterday - as its after midnight now.

So, I've not had time to think about it or contact the dealer.  I'll provide additional details later.

Electro

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 11:29:11 am »
Just post his home phone number - we'll take care of it for ya !! ;D
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Electro

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 03:03:37 am »
Hi Guys,                 :'(              :-/               >:(

I have been quite surprised at the attitude of the Sundance dealer, following the sale when he'd received his money.  He provided me with no information at all about how to connect the spa or how to operate it.  I found out by reading the Sundance web site and reviewing the manuals there.

I have not yet decided what I will do in response to his illegal action in cheating me of the cover lift that was included in the sale.

I need to reconsider what cover lift I want now, based on your responses.  I'm especially interested in the posts on alternative cover lifts for the Maxxus.  Note that I have the Sundance tri-fold lift, which adds an additional section to the cover that would normally fit the Cameo or Optima.  The Covermate I works- sort of - but it is clearly not adequate for this cover.  What lifts would you recommend and why?

Tubber - you said the Covermate lifts were not strong enough for the Maxxus.  What do you recommend?

Chas - you included pictures of a number of Covermate products.  What are your thoughts?

I had liked the Covermate II, since the manufacturer indicates it allows for greater leverage than others, and
it appears to allow the cover to rest at a lower level, which provides for a better view.

Electro

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 03:03:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42