What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice on Hot Tub - Canada  (Read 10318 times)

paige

Advice on Hot Tub - Canada
« on: June 22, 2004, 01:48:48 pm »
Hi everyone. I am in Northern Ontario in Canada. I am looking at buying a hot tub and have had lots of fun trying to decide which is the best to buy. We only have four suppliers in my city. The hot tub makes sold here include Sunrise Spas, Hydropool, Tiger River, Hot Springs, and Coleman. We have found the Hot Springs and Coleman to be out of our price range for the type of tub we want and have narrowed our decision to three tubs: The cheapest is the Hydropool Serenity Special Edition at $5600, the Sunrise Odyssey at $7000, and the Tiger River Caspian at $8600.  I am currently leaning towards the Sunrise Odyssey because it has a nice assortment of jets for your back but am a little concerned because I am unable to find much on this company. Does anyone know anything about them? Do they make a solid tub?
I have heard that Tiger River has an excellent reputation - is it worth spending the extra $1600 for this brand? Keep in mind that when we started we were looking at a softub at $3800 and have already expanded our budget to get into a little better tub.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with information.
Thanks,

Paige

Hot Tub Forum

Advice on Hot Tub - Canada
« on: June 22, 2004, 01:48:48 pm »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: Advice on Hot Tub - Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 01:59:05 pm »
Ahhh yes, beautiful northern Ontario.  I am very much looking forward to this year's moose season. Where are you in the great white north?

In answer to your question, I would look at HotSpring, Tiger River (which is made by Hot Spring) and Coleman. I know nothing of the other two brands.  There are some very good posts by others on this board about what to look for and/or ask from a dealer, but I would definetly want a dealer that is reputable and there for you. Finally, wet test, wet test and wet test some more. You will find that all of the tubs are very different in feel and is in the end the most concluding factor in your decision. :) Good luck and let us know how you fare out.

paige

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 02:12:58 pm »
Hi doodoo - I am in North Bay. You probably go further north for moose hunting I imagine. Thanks for responding. I have read a lot from this forum and have checked up on all the advice I found on the site and the Sunrise seems to stand up to the rest although the Tiger River has a better warranty (5 years on parts and labour as opposed to 3 years). I did wet test the Sunrise Odyssey and loved it.
Note that both Hydropool and Sunrise are Ontario manufacturers and that anyone in US will probably not heard of them. Sunrise is from Grimsby and Hydropool is from Mississauga.

Paige

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 07:38:03 pm »
Hi Paige!

I went to school in North Bay!  Canadore - Class of 1993 Med Lab!  Living in North Carolina now, though...

Have you tried any of the tubs that you are deciding amongst?  Do the dealers there let you wet test?

We too are in the midst of research and evaluation, and are close to making a decision.  The one thing that I am so glad we've done is wet test - on paper, so many spas looked great, even getting in them dry... wasn't a true guage of how the tub is when full of water!  We were surprised at how they all felt so different - and tubs that we had sort of ruled out by just looking at ended up being the ones we are trying to decide about!

Anyway - keep us posted!  It's so exciting!  Stressful too - but exciting!

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 10:38:52 pm »
Go for the tub that you like the best. I know you have already expanded your budget, and at the risk of sounding like a salesman, consider this:

$1600 more, for an item that you will most likely own for 16-plus years = about $9 per month. The Tiger is a very good tub, and may very well save you that much in operating costs over a poorly insulated tub, or a tub with over-sized jet pumps.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dano99487

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 04:54:43 am »
HELLO PAIGE,  :)...You said that the hotspring and coleman were out of your price range..if i may ask what where the prices of the colemans that you were looking at...i purchased a 2004 coleman c481 deluxe 2 months ago.Free delivery,deluxe spa cover,spa vac,start up chems,nature 2,clean zone,and cover lifter for $6999 out the door.....oh plus the tax,can't forget that...Just courious on what they are selling for up there......ps-wife and i love the spa... :)

paige

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 11:55:11 am »
Jodi - nice to chat with a former North Bayite. Why would you ever leave such a great place like North Bay?
(you don't have to answer that, I bet you don't miss the -40C winters).
As you know retailers for any specialty product is slim in North Bay, so we have 4 retailers of which three have actual tubs you can test. Unfortunately, they have two tubs each and none are ones I'm interested in buying.
I did wet test the Sunrise Legend which has similar jets to the Odyssey that I am considering and I was impressed with it.

Dano - I did get prices on a few models of the Coleman and was quoted:

C105 - $5799 + tax
             C480/482/472  - all were $8299 + tax

The C105 is in our price range but was not a comparable tub to those of other manufacturers (Hydropool and Sunrise) for the same price, so we ruled them out.

Still considering the Sunrise but concerned that nobody seems to have heard of them before. I know they are a small company. Still researching,

Paige

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 11:55:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42