What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to me Jetsetter???  (Read 15336 times)

rosewoodsteel

Re: New to me Jetsetter???
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:29:30 am »
Looks like the base and skirting are in good shape.  And, it does look like the base was replaced (nice job, by the way).
I would want to see it running before I laid out 1K.   Where I live, people are giving away old hot tubs. 
Let's say you drop the 1K and then find out you need a new pump.  Then you have leaks to repair.    Combine the initial cost with the cost of parts and the time involved and you would find your self considerably deeper into your wallet.  If you buy a cheap COSCO tub, you can be enjoying it right away.   If you are a Do it yourself guy, you have the free time and you enjoy projects like this, than go for it!   But, I would make the guy an offer.   Just my opinion.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:29:30 am »

Isaac-1

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »
I too have found cheap "give away" tubs in  my area, but most are clearly in BAD condition, and they are usually much larger than I need, and often cheap tubs to begin with.  Operating cost is part of the reason I am leaning towards the jetsetter as it will be just me in the tub the vast majority of the time (my wife has a medical condition where she has to avoid being over heated).  I am a DIY type, not sure about amount of free time, but I am not too concerend about replacing a pump or heater, as those should be quick jobs, leaks under foam may be different.  On a side note if I get the jetsetter, should I do anything to seal the rebuilt bottom?  (I was scheduled to get it today, but the weather did not cooperate, and then the seller called yesterday saying he had to go out of town for a funeral, so things are delayed another 2-3 days.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »
I think I would apply a few coats of Thompson's water seal to the bottom if it were me.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 07:44:51 pm »
I would use Sikkens
Retired

Flyonthewall

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:17 pm »
even paint would work ok on the bottom.  it looks like the new base was attached to the original base.  I doubt they would have done that for structural reasons, except to raise or level it.  the spa appears to be a 98-99.  the motor compartment looks to be in good shape.  that heater is not original issue.  it has been replaced and is a big upgrade over the factory issue. 

Isaac-1

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:21 pm »
Thanks, for the replies, it looks like I will potentially be going to get it this weekend, most likely Sunday morning as that is the next day the seller and I are both going to be available (with luck).  Just wondering how do you tell it is 98 - 99 and not 97?  As I understand it 97 is a one off year on the IQ2000 board.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 07:01:15 pm »
the black oval control panel came into use in 1998.  a big improvement over previous controls, and used for 10 years before it was retired.

Isaac-1

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:46 pm »
Here is an update for those of you that may read this thread in the future,

I bought the Jetsetter, it is home and hooked up, everything is mostly good, condition is as good as it appeared in the photos (also came with hot spring brand cover and lifter in good shape), probably was indoors its whole life, just a few small dings to the wood.  The seller broke the drain valve fitting loading it on to his trailer, so I have to fix that, and it appears the circulation pump does not work, otherwise everything looks good.  Heater gets warm, jet pump operates, I am also replacing the Freshwater II ozonator under the assumption it no longer works, (installing a much smaller Del APG-U).  I have ordered an E5 pump to replace the  Original Silentflo 500, I may try some more to get the Silentflo to operate while waiting the the E5, if I get it going I will have a spare.  It was also connected 240V so I had to reconfigure the jumpers and add cord and GFCI.

P.S. it turns out to be built 4th quarter 1998
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:46:26 pm by Isaac-1 »

Isaac-1

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:34 pm »
A couple of more updates, I think I have it going, at least sort of, after flushing more water full blast through the gray fill tube I was able to get the circulation pump to start flowing.  At first just enough to barely make the intake on the new Del Ozonator hiss, then after a few minutes it got a little faster, but started making a clack, clack clack sound, I am letting it run over night and see how it is going in the morning.  I think flow is still a bit on the low side as no ozone bubbles are making it back to the tub.  Another sign this tub probably did not get much use, the old filters had a 1998 date code on them and looked used, but might still have some life...  Who knows, the original owners may have stocked up on filters when they bought the tub though.

dunecritter

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
Add New filters, New circ pump....No more headaches. Throw them old filters away...far far away! Remember...Low flow on circ pump...low ozone flow and low heat flow= SUCKS >:(

Isaac-1

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:36 am »
I intstalled new filters tonight, have new circulation pump on order (the local, 50 mile away hot spring dealer did not have one in stock, so I ordered an E5 pump off ebay).  Not really looking forward to switching it out.  Oh one more thing, does anyone know of a good / cheap source for replaement spiring style hose clamps, one of mine snapped in half tonight when I bumped it with my thumb, (I put part of a garden hose mending fitting on it to hold for now), the others that I checked seemed ok, but I did not check the ones hidden along the top of the cabinet..

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:53 am »
Sounds like you are making good progress! You will have it running in no time.   

dunecritter

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:54 am »
I personally would just use a good Stainless Automotive style hose clamp you could find at any auto parts store...I dislike the spring style personally
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:09:51 am by dunecritter »

Pers Onal

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
ordered an E5 pump off ebay).  Not really looking forward to switching it out.

Really glad your purchase is working out for you. Unless it is a bitch to get to, the pumps I have switched out were easy peasy except for sometimes awkward positions you have to put yourself in to reach things.

Hopefully, will go smooth without any issues on the pump change out. Just make sure you know what wire goes where before you pull the old one out and things may well work out fine.

Isaac-1

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »
Access is my concern on the circulation pump, as it is wedged in behind the heater and things are rather snug, on some good news, the tub is operating and at 101 degrees F this morning.  The low last night was right at freezing and the heater was turned on, and the tub covered up at about 9 pm last night and by 9 am this morning it had reached the goal temperature and the ready light was lit.  I am somewhat surprised by this since it is connected at 120V and the fill water was around 50 degrees F.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42