What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Grandee 2008 lost power now no heat  (Read 4757 times)

Chiadrum

Hot Spring Grandee 2008 lost power now no heat
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:37:14 am »
So I drained and re-filled my tub and all was well-temperature came back to normal and then winter storm "PAX" decided to visit Raleigh.We lost power for a few hours and when I checked the tub there were no LED indicators at all.So I turned the breakers off for a bit and tripped them back on.They stay in a normal state for probably less than a minutes and then both steady flash.
I have removed the filters,tried a heater switch bypass that I saw on You Tube and tried an Air Lock unlock that I saw on You Tube all with the same results.
No bubbles from the circ pump.
Anyone that can offer troubleshooting steps that would be much appreciated.
I should mention that when cleansing the spa (I used a citrus based cleanser) there was quite a bit of Algae that I removed before re-filling and the water remains cloudy even after 4 days of shock but it is almost clear and no algae now.The tub was running fine-it was yesterdays power loss that triggered this.
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Grandee 2008 lost power now no heat
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:37:14 am »

Chiadrum

Re: Hot Spring Grandee 2008 lost power now no heat
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:29 am »
I may have found my answer-searching my name failed to find this port which is the first thing that I did!

You need to do a few things to be sure it's the circ pump:
1.remove the cap on the filter for the circ pump (the only one with a hollow grey tub in the filter core).
2.clean the ozone injector. Note: The injector should be a black plastic thing with a 1" vinyl tube running into and out of both ends and a 1/4" tube running out of the middle. Unscrew the fitting the small tube attaches to (with the spa power on, jets off) and it should begin to suck air. If water comes flowing OUT, then you have a bad circ pump.

If doing those two things restores the little bubbles,  then you have a bad heater relay board and the circ pump is fine.

I will report back with results.

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:17 am »
Bubbles are just a sign of flow, a clogged ozonator would not cause the flashing lights and actual loss of flow though.

Instead your problem is likely either clogged filters, a clog in the plumbing / heater / circulation pump, or a bad circulation pump.

The first thing I would try would be cleaning / changing the filters, particularly the one with the gray fill tube, I just went through this myself with the used HS Jetsetter tub I bought last weekend, worked for one day circulation pump made noise, then  blinking lights.  In my case the tub had been in storage for a couple of years and the circulation pump died, so I had to replace it last night.

Chiadrum

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »
Well yeah that is why I completely removed the filters so I may be out of luck.
Wish I had a detailed troubleshooting guide for the circ pump before I spend the money.
Thanks for the input.

Chiadrum

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »
Oh yeah not good-reading this again the Ozone tube is not sucking air,but water is flowing out.
Pretty sure my circ pump is bad.
Any recomendations on where to get the best replacement?

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:07:42 pm »
Local dealer was out of stock so I ordered an e5 hot spring pump off ebay for $171 mine came from a dealer in nc but they may be snowwed in now.

Chiadrum

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »
Ok thanks for that.
Update-while scouring the web I came across a post that suggested pouring Muriaric Acid (Hope I spelled that right){AKA Hydrochloric Acid,available at Lowe's-8 bux} down the gray main filter tube that connects to the Circ Pump.I turned off the tub completely and poured a generous amount-probably too much-down the tube,waited for an hour and fired up the tub again.
To my dismay,the tub went right back to all LED's fast flashing again right away.On my way back inside I tapped the "Clean" button to run the tub's clean cycle but I went to bed ready to order a new Circ pump in the morning.
I went outside this morning to check the tub and to my pleasant surprise both LED's were solid and happy and the tub temp was right at 99 degrees as programmed!
No idea of the long term results of this fix obviously but I will report back occasionally.Very interested to see how much time this buys me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42