What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to me Jetsetter???  (Read 15358 times)

Isaac-1

New to me Jetsetter???
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:50 pm »
As you may know I am buying a used Hot Spring Classic Jetsetter J, I will be picking it up next weekend (it is about 150 miles away), it is about 7-10 years old and has been in dry storage for some time.  I don't have a lot of details about it other than seller claims it was working when stored.  Now I am just trying to get everything ready here before I pick it up, I already have experience maintaining swimming pools, so I assume hot tubs should be fairly similar.  So far I have downloaded the owners manual and read most of it, watched a number of youtube videos showing people doing maintenance on Hot Spring spas (Heater, control panel, ozonator, pump, etc. replacement, etc.).

Now down to the quesitons:

I plan to replace the filters, does anyone know which exact filters I need for this tub, part number?

I don't know if this tub was set up for 120V or 240V, I plan to initially use it in 120V mode, now for the problem.  The owners manual only shows how to convert from 120V to 240V, not the other way around.  Most of it is easy enough reverse, however the jumper configuraiton for the control board simply says, make look like this for 240V mode, and does not show the 120V configuration.  So in case I need it does anyone have the correct jumper configuration for 120V mode?

Do you have any advice on initial start up other than common sense looking for leaks, initial flush out?

On a Hot Spring specific topic, this tub is equiped with FreshWater II Ozone system, is there any way to confirm this Ozonator is functioning properly?  I think it is a CD unit like the current FreshWater III unit is, but I am not sure, and can't find much documentation on it.

Anything else I should consider?

thanks Ike

Hot Tub Forum

New to me Jetsetter???
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:50 pm »

Isaac-1

Re: New to me Jetsetter???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:16:15 am »
Well I have been doing some more research based on the seller's photos, and it looks like this tub is older than advertised, as it has an IQ-2000 controller not an IQ-2020, which appears to make it 1997-2000 vintage :(

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:24:26 pm »
It will use part number 71825 (filters x3.) 

In regards to converting it back and forth, you can do it... it's pretty easy.  You'll need to look at the schematic on the inside of the IQ box to position the jumpers correctly. 

More importantly though... you'll need the right connection.  If it is 220V, Watkins has their own electrical box.  You'll want to take that with you.  If you are converting it to 110, make sure you recieve the standard 15' GFCI cord.  If they don't have that, you'll need that too.

If you can grab the S/N, we can tell you all you want about that hot tub!

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:18 pm »
I am working on getting that form the seller now, it seems he has paperwork on the tub that says it is a 2009 model, but in his photos it clearly shows an IQ-2000 and a Freshwater II ozonator, at first I assumed the Ozonator was just old stock dealer installed option, but it is hard to think that of the IQ-2000, I missed this up until this point as the control panels look the same as on the IQ-2020 and it has the new 2003+ style head rest pillow.

Pers Onal

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:32 pm »
I wouldn't drive 150 miles without having the seller take a pic of the S/N of the tub, and checking date of manufacture. Particularly when you already see what looks like conflicting information in the pics.

My son and I looked at a number of dirt bikes on craigslist in the last year. Every single bike being sold by an individual was being misrepresented as to the year of manufacture. We were looking at stuff supposedly one to two years old. Dirt bikes in my state are not titled, but the serial number codes for yamaha and honda are easy to read the year of manufacture. Most serial numbers indicated the motorcycle was 3 to 5 years old. Without fail, the year model was mistated by a year or two if the bike was in great shape. Not one person gave the correct year of manufacture, and not a single person told us the bike was older than it actually was. We looked at _lot_ of bikes. Finally, we got to where we wouldn't bother going to look if they wouldn't send a pic of the S/N.

I don't think the world is full of liars, I think that people convince themselves they are telling the truth and it just so happens they remember it in such a way as to make it easier to make the sale.

Check the SN before you go.

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:21:43 am »
In this case it seems the seller is an electrician that removed it for a home owner, I don't know the circumstances, but get the general impression it may have been in exchange for doing some other work and the home owner told him it was a 2009, and seem to have showed paperwork form a dealer saying the same thing.  Perhaps the home owner bought it from a dealer in 2009 as a refurbished unit, etc.  I will try to learn more before going to pick up this weekend, weather permitting.

Pers Onal

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »
I don't know the circumstances, but get the general impression it may have been in exchange for doing some other work and the home owner told him

This may work out well for you. But, as someone who has done some buying on Craigslist and whose sons buys and sells so much on craigslist that many people would consider a full-blown hobby, this sale is throwing up what I would consider to be multiple red flags.

Date of Manufacture inconsistent with equipment in pics.   Big red flag.
Seller wasn't original owner.                                    Another red flag.
Seller took in trade for labor done,                           another red flag.
Been in dry storage for some time,                          another red flag.

150 miles away -

It could be a great unit and a great thing for you to buy.

However, the way this is shaping up, proceed with great caution, particularly if you came up with this on craigslist or similar.

If the person selling this is a good friend of your brother-in-law, who is a pretty sharp guy and knows the seller well or similar, that is one thing.

If the seller is in no way know to you, be very skeptical.

Isaac-1

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »
I agree that there are some red flags here, this was an ebay listing, and a rather poorl listed one at that from a seller with few feedback ratings, but one that has been registered for a couple of years.

On the positive points:

This will be a cash purchase

Seller is meeting me in a public place for the exchange, sliding it off his trainer and onto mine (shaving 50 miles off my trip)

Seller has been reasonably responsive to answering questions

Gut feeling is the guy cleaning out his shed and does not really know or care much about what he has

Seller is not in a rush, we have tentatively picked noon saturday as a time to meet when both our schedules are open.

On an economic side at $1,000 as long as it holds water I feel I will still be ahead even if I have to replace a heater, pump or similar.

Pers Onal

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:01 pm »
Here's hoping that it works out nicely for you!

Regards

Ken

Isaac-1

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:40 am »
I will post an update in a few days when I know more, and let you know how it looks

Flyonthewall

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »
at 1000 it will be a good value if it works correctly.  without having seen it run its a gamble I wouldn't take.  at the very least inspect the motor compartment and subframe for anything amiss.   

Isaac-1

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:13 pm »
Here are the photos I had to go by before deciding to buy it, seller says he has the covers also including soft top cover.  Do you see any big issues  I missed?

brillskill

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:09:43 am »
I'd still go with this..and it's on sale...http://www.costco.com/Aquaterra™-Spas-Toscano--17-jet%2c-3-person-Spa.product.11757949.html

brillskill

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 01:11:17 am »
http://www.costco.com/Aquaterra™-Spas-Toscano--17-jet%2c-3-person-Spa.product.11757949.html

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
That base is not factory.  Entire support has been removed and replaced.  Makes me wonder if it had/has leaks.

I know it is long distant, but I would see it running before I bought it.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42