What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Our redneck hot tub  (Read 10116 times)

DoubleEdgedWombat

Our redneck hot tub
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »
It began innocently enough with a glance through the free section of craigslist (which is awesome by the way, to date we've also scored a couch, coffee table, freezer, and above-ground pool).  We had never seriously considered owning a hot tub before.  In fact, we had never considered it all.  But how can you say no to something if it's free!?

So we went and picked it up.  The guy literally paid us $20 to get it off his property.  And there it sat in out front yard for several weeks before we could arrange sufficient manpower to get it off the trailer (which, of course, precluded us from using it to obtain more free stuff - oh, the horror!). 

Here it is, plopped down on the ground.  Not moving it from this spot!  Steps that came with it were broken, so we had to improvise.

We needed somewhere to stow the cover off the ground while the tub was in use.  Already had this table.  All but one of the clasps for the locking cover were broken off during transport.  Note the bungee cord and D-rings.

Ground wasn't level.  Neither of us thought to check this until after filling the tub with water the first time.  Nothing that can't be fixed, but we had to completely drain the tub in order to do so.  Oh well.  Water is cheap in the desert, go figure.

Elecrical.  Spent $400 in parts and about 2 weeks of my time on-and-off to run 220 volts to a tub and I don't even know if it works.  And have no way of knowing if it'll work until it's powered.  Thankfully our location for the tub is right by the electrical panel or this would have gotten very expensive very quickly.  Breathed a huge sigh of relief when the motor came on after I hooked everything up.  Breathed a bigger one when the water began to heat.

Lighting? Check.

Palm tree?  Check.

Tubbing buddies?  Check.

We've tried inviting them in, but so far they're a little bit... well, chicken!

Hot Tub Forum

Our redneck hot tub
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Our redneck hot tub
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »
Shim a spa to level? Shell eventually cracked and leaking, check.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

DoubleEdgedWombat

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »
It was free, but I'd hate to break it.  We may be pouring cement there in the future, then.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »
Yep, you'll get comfortable and the next time you think to drain, make a frame, pour the concrete, put the HT back on, and refill, you'll be looking for another tub. Those things aren't built hold that much weight. The water is very heavy. 400 gals will weigh in at around 3400 lbs, and that doesn't count the weight of the bodies frolicking around inside. It won't last long but I sure wish you the best with it. Those free ones aren't as easy to get concerned over.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

DoubleEdgedWombat

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:37:06 am »
Drained it today.  Will pour a slab this weekend.  Hopefully not too late.  In the meantime it is sitting empty on the dirt.

I know if I don't do it now, I'll never do it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:41:32 am by DoubleEdgedWombat »

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:20:35 am »
Good for you. Post more pics when completed.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »
LOL st
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42