What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: toweled bengaled lady has a question?  (Read 5126 times)

drzonker

toweled bengaled lady has a question?
« on: June 20, 2004, 10:11:56 pm »
the saleman who sold me the bengal came over and looked at my hot tub b/c no techs were available on a Sunday.

He said that he did not think that there was anything wrong with my hot tub just the hook up.  My electrician did not use the subpanel sold by the dealership.  He got his own.  Apparently he put a double switch on the 30 amp but only a single switch on the 20 amp.  The salesman thinks that is the problem and he said to call the electrician.

That was around 3pm.  I called the eclectrician and gues what he never called back --but it is a Sunday and father's day.

Just now I looked at the subpanel and pressed both testers and then flicked them back on and the tub started heating up and working again.

What do you all think?  Do you think I need to have the eclectrician come anfd put a double switch on the 20 amp or should they send a service tech.

Either way --watch out-- b/c while it still works Im a getting in.

Hot Tub Forum

toweled bengaled lady has a question?
« on: June 20, 2004, 10:11:56 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: toweled bengaled lady has a question?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 10:25:36 pm »
No problem yet - the Bengal IS supposed to have one single breaker and one double breaker. The larger tubs have two double breakers, but not yours.

Nice of the guy to come over - I hope you behaved yourself  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drzonker

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 10:30:59 pm »
chas,

Do you think that this will happen again?  
Why did the salesman think that I needed a double breaker on the 20 and the 30.  THe salesman said the lack of the double switch on the 20 amp is what caused the power to trip --does that sound right?
Lisa

And I thought it was very nice of the salesman to come look at the tub and I was very behaved.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 10:34:22 pm »
Well, it's not unusual for the tub to kick out a few times during the initial heat up. If it doesn't reucrr, don't worry about it.

As to the breaker, the salesman has probably seen the sub panels of the larger models which do have to double pole breakers.

Now get out there and soak! Drop and give me twenty - minutes of relaxing that is....

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 11:30:36 pm »
Let the dealer know its up and running and you'll call him back if it reoccurs and will need a service person that time. It may have been an innocent hiccup and maybe not but if there really is an issue it will show up again, and probably soon. You've got a warranty from a good spa maker so they'll take care of it if there is an issue.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drzonker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 09:04:55 am »
yes,  I called the dealer this morning (actually I spoke to the service tech)  and he agreed with Chas that the electricity was wired correctly and that it may have been a glitch ect.

He said since it was running again he would not send a tech but if it were to occur aqgian he would send a tech and not to worry because I have a five year warrenty.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's help and input and, although I have not posted here, I have been lurking for a while and you guys helped me decide on a watkin's product.  I have really learned a lot from this site.

Lisa

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
May you soak long and prosper.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 10:24:24 am »
Good answers so far, quick question, Did you also have the air conditioning on, running the microwave and have the tub heating up?   Do you know what your electrical service is rated at?

I've only got 100 amp service, but my heat is gas.   When I first heat up my tub with fresh water and the AC is on in the house and someone hits the microwave, or electric dryer, my spa can drop out occasionally.   I've learned to live with it as it is cheaper than getting wired for 150amps or more.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drzonker

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 01:48:27 pm »
How do you figure out what your electricty is rated at?

I probably did have a lot of things runing ect.  However, doesn't  the tub run on a separate circuit.

The other day my air conditioner stopped working when the washer was on.

Do I have to be worried about what electrical I am using b/c the tub is always using power?  I never even thought of that.  I live in a 1942 house.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 02:32:42 pm »
Look at the "Main" breaker for your panel. It will be a 100, or larger.

Yes, your spa should be on it's own dedicated circuit.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 03:05:01 pm »
How do you figure out what your electricty is rated at?

However, doesn't  the tub run on a separate circuit.

This is what I believe, and may be faulty.   Many breaker panels I have seen have lots of breakers running from 10-50 amps in size, but there is usually one at the top labeled "MAIN" and has the largest size rating, in my case 100 amps.   Yes, the tub is on its own circuit inside your house, but they all go back to the MAIN and if you are near your limit, it might be a straw that broke the camels back kind of thing.    The spa does take power all the time, but uses the most when you are in it, with all the pumps running.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 03:07:51 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 03:05:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42