What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gazebo, retractable awning, sail shade or nothing?  (Read 10482 times)

Mike710_0

Gazebo, retractable awning, sail shade or nothing?
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
Hi guys

Got a bit of a dilemma. At the moment I don't have any kind of shelter over my hot tub but am wondering what's the best option. Here's some pros & cons

No shelter
Pros: much better view (Sun/stars) doesn't cost anything
Cons: can't use hot tub when it's raining, cover will weather alt more

Sail shade
Pros: fairly cheap to set-up
Cons: taking it down/up might not be so easy

Retractable awning
Pros: Retractable for sunny days
Cons: can't think of any

Wooden gazebo
Pros: would look good, could go in tub whatever the weather
Cons: expensive, permanent roof ie no Sun/stars

Am just wondering what you guys use or what the best option would be. Don't want to sit in the tub with an umbrella on a rainy day

I did have a retracting parasol but it was no good on windy days and had to be taken down. Don't really want to be paying to much to resolve this

Would just like to hear your thoughts/ideas

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Gazebo, retractable awning, sail shade or nothing?
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Gazebo, retractable awning, sail shade or nothing?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »
What area do you live in? Do you have heavy snow? That would be a huge factor in chosing a shelter.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Mike710_0

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »
Live in Cheshire in the UK

Don't really get much snow

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:32:44 pm »
You can check my thread in "Show Us Your Hot Tub" section. I have the full wrap gazebo but I live in the south so mosquitoes are a big issue and can ruin an evening outdoors. I also like the dark screen that surrounds our tub so we get a little extra privacy. We still fog the yard, but they find their way back. We can't see the stars right up above us, but we still get to use the spa in all weather conditions until it starts lightening during the storm. I would like to see the stars but it's a give and take situation as in most places. Where there's a great deal of snow to contend with, you can't have the kind of setup I have, but then I can't sit in my spa with snow all around me either, which I believe would be pretty wonderful at times.

Hope you figure out what's best for you.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

dakota7557

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »
I live in South Dakota and built a cedar privacy fence around my tub.  Use it all year round and have nothing but the stars above me...In the fall though when I'm picking up leaves from around the tub, I would want one...lol

goneaway

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:37 am »
I'm just over the hill in Gods own country.
We currently have a temporary cheap gazebo from Argos. (£40)

It's a little flimsy, so we have to keep an eye on the wind forecasts, but this is usually an ideal opportunity to wash it anyway.
Not sure if it will hold up in the snow either.
It's basic, but keeps the rain and chill off.

I'm also in a dilemma as to what to erect on a permanent basis.
I quite fancy the idea of a retractable awning, and then some sort of hedge, maybe potted ornamental conifers or something, however, these would either be expensive or take a long time to grow.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:01:06 am by keat63 »

Mike710_0

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:55:17 am »
Thanks for all your replies

I might look into the retractable awning as it seems like the best option.

Just thought there'd be some kind of shelter that would do the job but most of all be weather proof.

I did think of getting one if those cheap gazebos but think it's be a waste of money.

Just need something that's gonna stand up to all kinds of weather without being blown everywhere

I have seen some automatic shelters that do retract but the price of them is ridiculous.

Definitely a gap in the market for something like this

goneaway

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:01 am »
We velcro the sides back when not in use, so any strong winds just blow through.
We were in the tub 2 weekends ago, when it was blustery, and the gazebo was being blown about quite wildly.
So we pinned the sides back, but the battering rain wasn't pleasant, so we got out after 20 minutes.
The biggest problem for me, living in a bungalow, my tub is quite close to two  bedroom windows, so it would be impractical to erect anything solid.

The gazebo will no doubt put us on until i can come up with something more suitable.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:39 am »
Ours seems pretty substantial for what it is. I have all corner posts anchored to the concrete and haven't seen any problems. We actually have two of these in our outdoor area, both anchored, and haven't had any problems with high winds (yet). If wind got too strong, we'd tie our screens back as well, but since we only have a curtain on a half of one side, there's been no major resistance to the wind.

goneaway

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:49 am »
Ours is basically tent poles.
A bout of flatulence would knock it over.

Mike710_0

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 11:46:32 am »
I did think of a gazebo but my other dilemma is my hot tub is only accessible from 2 of the 4 sides. It sits on a 3 x 2.5 m deck. Starting to think the sail shade might be best. It'll definitely be wind resistant and I'm sure adding quick release catches our something should be easy enough

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 04:28:54 pm »
I use a deck umbrella that can swing around. I can just open it up, swing it completely over the tub when raining or partially over it when it is snowing. Nice to have it snowing on you while in the tub but can switch to another seat if it is snowing to much.

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:55 am »
I have a motorized retractable awning over my spa. Nice because you don't have to go out in the rain to extend it.

I only use it when it's raining.

Using the hot tub during a storm is fun, but fiddling with a sail shade in inclement weather does not sound fun.
Some sail shades are just for shade and let water through, you would want to avoid those.

The swing out umbrella also a great idea if you can find one big enough to cover the whole tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42