What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2 year old hot spot  (Read 4484 times)

hwimbrow

2 year old hot spot
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:43:25 pm »
One of my local dealers has a 2 y/o hot spot.

The story is it's a new spa but has been sitting around the show room for a couple years. The dealer is reputable, long-time in business in the area and I have other professional connection with them.

So it's not one of the new models I can research on the internet.

What's sketchy is, they're telling me there's no warranty becasue somehow the manufacturers warranty is expired.

The board seems to be haunted by a few pros and a bunch of yahoos like me.

Thank you all very much for your help here. This forum is turning into my favorite due diligence resource.

Hot Tub Forum

2 year old hot spot
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:43:25 pm »

autoplay

Re: 2 year old hot spot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 06:17:58 pm »
I would be leary of purchasing a spa without a warranty.  What are they asking for the spa? Two,possibly you can purchase a warranty through your dealer(in writing of course).?.

BTW.....the Hot-Spots r a clone of Calderas starter line of spas

Rboehme

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:17:33 pm »
Do not buy a spa from a dealer without a warrantee.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:47:41 am »
A heater for that tub will run ya about $200 installed. Less, actually, but let's keep the numbers nice and round.

If the pump gives you a problem, it will most likely be a seal that needs to be replaced, not the motor. That seal job should be $100 tops.

If a motor does go bad, you're lookin' at $300 installed.

The shell warranty on that tub was only a year or two anyway, and it's a fiberglass-backed acrylic - good history of long life.

So - be sure you're getting enough of a discount, allow for one or two of the above repairs, and you'll be fine. If, in fact, you don't need those repairs, you'll be better than fine.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Rboehme

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 08:31:53 pm »
A heater for that tub will run ya about $200 installed. Less, actually, but let's keep the numbers nice and round.

If the pump gives you a problem, it will most likely be a seal that needs to be replaced, not the motor. That seal job should be $100 tops.

If a motor does go bad, you're lookin' at $300 installed.

The shell warranty on that tub was only a year or two anyway, and it's a fiberglass-backed acrylic - good history of long life.

So - be sure you're getting enough of a discount, allow for one or two of the above repairs, and you'll be fine. If, in fact, you don't need those repairs, you'll be better than fine.

Your prices are half that of the dealer in my area. And they wont usually replace a pump seal. They will replace the entire pump. They charge close to $500, NOT installed.

It is a good idea to ask you dealer about the prices of these items and what they charge in labor and other service fees before you buy a product with no warrantee. Of course, if you do not get the prices in writing you should not be suprised if they go up when something breaks.

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 08:58:00 pm »
Let me guess - you live near a large body of water, and your dealer has a magnificent sailboat.  Right? ;)

Your prices are half that of the dealer in my area. And they wont usually replace a pump seal. They will replace the entire pump. They charge close to $500, NOT installed.

It is a good idea to ask you dealer about the prices of these items and what they charge in labor and other service fees before you buy a product with no warrantee. Of course, if you do not get the prices in writing you should not be suprised if they go up when something breaks.

Rboehme

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:01:30 pm »
Let me guess - you live near a large body of water, and your dealer has a magnificent sailboat.  Right? ;)

No, he is just expensive. ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 09:08:53 pm »

I think you could easily get these jobs done for the price I mention. As to replacing the whole pump over a $10 part - yes, sometimes companies will do that under the warranty. But this tub has no warranty, so call in a good repair guy and have him put in a new seal, and a couple of O-rings and you're good to go.

All of this is only going to matter if the tub has problems - most don't.

Rboehme

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 09:15:58 pm »

I think you could easily get these jobs done for the price I mention. As to replacing the whole pump over a $10 part - yes, sometimes companies will do that under the warranty. But this tub has no warranty, so call in a good repair guy and have him put in a new seal, and a couple of O-rings and you're good to go.

All of this is only going to matter if the tub has problems - most don't.

As a good repair guy, if I was asked to fix this spa in my area I would have to buy the parts from my local dealer. Or I could drive to a different area to get them(also expensive). The sad fact is that if you are in a dealers protected area and they charge alot for thier parts you WILL have to pay alot.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:26:04 pm »
Why? The element in a HotSpot is a standard, off-the shelf flow-through element. Call spa parts express, or go to PoolandSpa.com, SpaBabe.com, Horizon spa parts, or any wholesale supply house. This tub doesn't have the standard HotSpring stuff in it - it's a Gecko pack and heater. The pump takes a regular seal and some o-rings. Standard stuff.

Rboehme

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 09:36:29 pm »
Why? The element in a HotSpot is a standard, off-the shelf flow-through element. Call spa parts express, or go to PoolandSpa.com, SpaBabe.com, Horizon spa parts, or any wholesale supply house. This tub doesn't have the standard HotSpring stuff in it - it's a Gecko pack and heater. The pump takes a regular seal and some o-rings. Standard stuff.

You are correct. I wasn't thinking.

Worst case scenario on this spa is, if you had to replace everything(pump, board, and heater), you are looking at approx $1000.

If you are saving more than that it is a good deal.

If you aren't, spend a little more and buy a new one with a warrantee.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 09:36:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42