What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: To Coleman or not to Coleman  (Read 9536 times)

MNM53197

To Coleman or not to Coleman
« on: June 04, 2004, 07:54:50 pm »
Thinking about getting a Coleman C480 any info. would be great. goods and bad? I visited many dealers and this seems like the right spa. what do you guys think?

Hot Tub Forum

To Coleman or not to Coleman
« on: June 04, 2004, 07:54:50 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: To Coleman or not to Coleman
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 10:55:32 am »
No experience with Coleman, but it sounds like those who post about them like them.  
I suggest you wet test the Coleman, if you have not already done so, and a couple other brands too.
If you still like the Coleman, go for it.
Brewman
Brewman

superted

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:07:37 pm »
As a biased Coleman dealer, the c-480 is a great spa. Wet test it first! If it fits you it would be hard to find a spa that matches it's features and jet placement. If it doesn't fit try the c-470.

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:51:57 pm »
I am also interested in the Coleman line but there is not a whole lot of discussion about them on this board.  It seems that any negative comments about Coleman revolve around their older spas.  The new ones are made for Coleman by MAXX which I believe is an Austrailian company.  Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong... my info is a bit sketchy..  

The only other question appears to be their Galvalume coated steel structure...  I live in South Louisiana and anything with steel is a concern due to erosion.  Galvanized is fine... Then there is the issue of it not being fully foamed and that lack of insulation costing about 10 bucks more a month in utilities than a fully foamed spa.    I am very interested in the C470 and C480 but my local dealer does not stock those models... which hacks me off.  Both the coleman dealer and the Dimension1 (Nautilus) dealer do not stock the non-lounger models.. they say they are hard to sell.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:46:22 pm »
Great to here from you MNM53197, I’d be more than happy to talk about the Coleman C480 Spa, (or any Coleman spa for that matter. )
Let’s start with the specs
92” X 92” X 35 H, Six persons, 435 gallons, 5.5kw  825  Incology stainless heater, Two 56- frame 3.0  H.P.-2-speed pumps powering  35  Hydrotherapy jets specially designed for Coleman spas by a credited spine rehabilitation institution. All the jets in any 400 series have been placed according to the recommendations of this medical facility. It’s called massage where it matters and targets your pressure points.
Coleman has a lifetime structural warranty on their  galvalume ™  steel frame.
Thermo-Lock ®  patented insulation technology. Keeping the cold air out and warm air in.  Please refer to an earlier thread I posted on “ How to negotiate and buy a hottub Reply # 46> I posted some web addresses  that  specialize in R-values and  publish their independent evaluations. Powerworks ® technology with M7. no more pesky little pressure switches.100 percent filtration pulling every gallon of water top and bottom 4 to 6 times per hour. Factory installed Clean Zone ™ ozone which is premixed in a chamber before entering the spa water reducing the damaging effects ozone can have on your pillows and spa cover.
There are three things that are going to be important to you once you own a spa.
# 1 Comfort of the seating and correct jet placement and pump pressure. That’s why it’s so important to wet test any tub you’re looking at.
# 2 Water clarity. Coleman uses a 75 square foot top loading filter. There is a skimmer basket on the top of that. This is a very important part of our filtration I’ll give you an example. My (Coleman 706) spa is outside along with about 40 trees in my yard. At least half of these are Siberian Elms. This time of the year they lose their seed pods which are smaller than a dime and paper thin. When the wind blows (Which is everyday here) it literally looks like it’s snowing. When you’re sitting in your tub the water is littered with the pesky things. Rather than get the net and fish them all out when I get out, I just shut  the cover. In a short time they get water logged and all end up on the skimmer basket where they are easily flicked off into the trash can. If that skimmer basket wasn’t there I would have to pull the filter and rinse all those seeds out of all those pleats YUCK! We also have the option to use an inexpensive somewhat disposable first filter on top of the skimmer basket. This filter is flat and made of tightly knit microns. It’s easy to put in and take out and can be reused a number of times before throwing away. This is great for when you’ve had heavy bather loads with lots of suntan lotion or bathers with makeup and hair goop in your spa.
#3 Efficiency, as in cost of operation, Coleman uses a unique thermal barrier technology. Thermo-Lock® is a closed cell energy system that recycles radiant heat energy from the equipment and plumbing  giving you faster more efficient heating at reduced costs. Because of the totally sealed, insulated air space, the spas are very quiet when running.
I’ve sold Coleman Spas for 10years and as corny as this sounds, I’m also a coleman customer. I purchased a 411 Horizon in 1994 and just this past Feb. I upgraded to the 706.There are 5 people in my family, my spa gets used heavy. It’s not unusual for it to be used two to three times daily by members of the family and their friends. This is why a good filtration system is so important to me.
There are many exceptional spas on the market. What it comes down to in the end is the technology you feel most comfortable with! Good luck….. Spahappy

Julie

• Sundance Cameo owner
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 10:35:27 am »
 The new ones are made for Coleman by MAXX which I believe is an Austrailian company.  Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong... my info is a bit sketchy..  

You're wrong, Cajun_Mike! ;)  Coleman spas are indeed a part of MAXX now, but MAXX is a Canadian company, yes, just north of the border.  They have another line, Elite Spa that is sold by my dealer along Jacuzzi and Sundance.   Dicussing with the spa tech that came home last week, I got good comments on the quality of all 3 products.  The only point right now is the part supplying, since MAXX was just sold to another company in Ontario and they are moving their production facility over there for the Elite.  But the Coleman line in manufactured in the US (correct me if I'm wrong!), so it shouldn't be affected by this.  

I don't have any specific information about the Coleman line.  It seems mostly sold in the US, probably because MAXX had already it's Elite line well established here when they got it.

spahappy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 12:17:34 pm »
I am also interested in the Coleman line but there is not a whole lot of discussion about them on this board.  It seems that any negative comments about Coleman revolve around their older spas.  The new ones are made for Coleman by MAXX which I believe is an Austrailian company.  Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong... my info is a bit sketchy..  

The only other question appears to be their Galvalume coated steel structure...  I live in South Louisiana and
anything with steel is a concern due to erosion.  Galvanized is fine... Then there is the issue of it not being fully foamed and that lack of insulation costing about 10 bucks more a month in utilities than a fully foamed spa.    I am very interested in the C470 and C480 but my local dealer does not stock those models... which hacks me off.  Both the coleman dealer and the Dimension1 (Nautilus) dealer do not stock the non-lounger models.. they say they are hard to sell.

Cajon Mike,
 The galvalume steel structure is protected with a form of galvanized coating. The lifetime warranty of the galvalume should put you at ease.
 Too bad you can't test the C-470 or the C-480 both are simply awesome spa's. Our number one seller is the C-471 which is the very same size as the C-470 but rated for 6 instead of 7 beause of the lounger.
 I wish you the best of luck! Once your in your spa you'll wonder how you ever lived with without one.
                                         Spahappy

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 01:21:26 pm »
maxx also makes the Savanah line that is sold in Home Depot.  How much of that spa technology is in the colemans?   Hopefully not a lot.

MNM53197

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 07:53:59 pm »
Thanks for all the great info.  :D
what kind of pricing should I expect for the C-480?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:56:21 pm by MNM53197 »

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 08:53:39 pm »
I like the size of the 480 but I dont like the ice chest taking up the space of an extra seat.  I think I would like the C470 better because the seat that is where the ice chest is in the 480 looks to be a nice one.  

spahappy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 10:41:44 pm »
Thanks for all the great info.  :D
what kind of pricing should I expect for the C-480?

Our retail on the Coleman C-480 is $7599.00 of course no one pays retail!! Our package includes local delivery, a cover, factory installed ozone, cover lift, chemical package, and personalized training on spa functions and water chemistry.
Prices will vary from dealer to dealer based on the amount of sales they do and the buying level they are at. I hope this helps you out.
            Spahappy

Rboehme

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 10:02:31 pm »
I have a funny story about coleman.

Several years ago I was looking at one of thier brochures, reading about the superior cabinet structure.

There was a sentence claiming that the cabinet could hold up to 2500 lbs.

This was funny because almost all of the spa models filled with water weighed over 3000lbs.

Obviously it was some sort of misprint. That claim was not in the next coleman brochure I saw.

Please do not take this negatively towards coleman. I just thought it was funny.

spahappy

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 12:04:34 am »
I have a funny story about coleman.

Several years ago I was looking at one of thier brochures, reading about the superior cabinet structure.

There was a sentence claiming that the cabinet could hold up to 2500 lbs.

This was funny because almost all of the spa models filled with water weighed over 3000lbs.

Obviously it was some sort of misprint. That claim was not in the next coleman brochure I saw.

Please do not take this negatively towards coleman. I just thought it was funny.

Hey I dont't take that negatively or personally. I'm sure anyone else who's been selling Colemans doesn't either. I have the 706 according to the lit., it has 4 drink holders, it has 1 and a tray for three. No biggy but when  MAAX bought Coleman there were a few misprints on the liturature after the merge. I thought only dealers noticed those things guess I was wrong!
                             Spahappy

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 06:27:13 pm »
NOT!
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

MNM53197

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 01:11:08 pm »
spahappy where are you located? I'm in oregon. If your close i'd come take a look at your product.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 01:11:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42