What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: jacuzzi pump seems to be tripping breaker. help needed...  (Read 3797 times)

44blues

jacuzzi pump seems to be tripping breaker. help needed...
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »
We're having a problem with a 7yr or 8yr old 460 series spa. It came with my house, so we didn't buy it new. It has been working fine until this week.

One of the pumps seems to be tripping the GFCI breaker. There are two separate jet pumps in my jacuzzi, one for each side or the spa. The 1st pump will run, but if i turn on the 2nd pump(regardless of whether the 1st one is running) the breaker will trip.  The heater doesn't seem to be tripping the breaker and will heat the water.

Could my GFCI breaker be faulty or weak? Or does it sound like a problem with the spa? If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks for any replies or help....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:27:59 pm by mtnsurf20 »

Hot Tub Forum

jacuzzi pump seems to be tripping breaker. help needed...
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: jacuzzi pump seems to be tripping breaker. help needed...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
You need to find out if the pump is grounded, or if it is drawing too much current.
To see if it is grounded unplug one of the wires that goes to the pump and see if
it still trips the gfi

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

44blues

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:58:57 pm »
thanks. I'll check that out.

clover

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »
Focus on the motor "shaft" going from the body of the electric motor into the wet end of the pump.  This is where you will see not much of anything, IF all is good, otherwise, you may see evidence of a pump seal leak leaving chemical residue, rust or corrosion, or wetness all of which are evidence of a pump seal leak. 

The GFCI tripping indicates water getting back into the pump motor causing an electrical fault.  The solution = new pump/motor.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42