What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Limelight Pulse...am I overpaying?  (Read 4750 times)

tjvisions

Limelight Pulse...am I overpaying?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:29 am »
This forum has helped me in the past (lurking ;)) so I wanted to post my question here before purchasing. We live in MD...

I inherited a 2000 Hot Springs Soverign when we bought our house. We have had leak issues since the very start and we finally decided to purchase new. I immediately called the local Hot Springs dealer and he gave me pricing on multiple tubs, one being the Pulse. He offered me a trade in credit of $1400 towards the purchase of a new tub. The Pulse delivered with tax, steps, cradle, and ozone is being offered at $9700 AFTER trade in credit. He also is charging me $200 to remove old tub which is in that price.

After researching on this forum and others, it seems many have received the same pricing without the trade...am I being played?

Hot Tub Forum

Limelight Pulse...am I overpaying?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:29 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Limelight Pulse...am I overpaying?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:25:53 am »
 I wouldn't pay that much! Close to 11,000 before trade in  :o       What are they asking for the highlife series?   

tjvisions

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:52 pm »
They quoted me $9200 after trade in, taxes, cradle, cover, ozonator for a new Soverign

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:56:55 pm »
Its not really like paying $11k for the spa because the reality is a 13 year old used spa with a leak issue is NOT worth $1400, that is very clear. They have overstated the trade value in IMO to make you feel better about that part when I'd have preferred to have offered you FAR less for the trade in and gave you a better price on the spa itself.

Think about it, what if they told you they'd give you $400 for the spa, $200 to haul it away and a new Pulse would be $9700 after trade in with steps, cover lift, ozone, etc.? Does that sound better? Its the same thing really, it all comes down to what that used spa is really worth and I think you'll find its not worth much leaking at that age.

If you're not sure what I mean ask them how much they'd give you just to remove the spa and buy it from you, they may have no interest at all. Then ask them how much if you just buy the new spa itself and say you'll take care of removing the old one yourself (even if you have no intention to do so). Those answers will tell you all you need to know.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:06:06 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »
A 13 year old spa with leak issues? I'd think you'd have a difficult time just GIVING it away on craigslist for FREE.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tjvisions

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:58:48 pm »
Hot Spring Ace - you are right. I guess what I should have asked the forum is which one, $9200 for a new Soverign or $9700 for a Pulse, is the better deal and why. I would then have to determine whether the removal of my old spa factored in the price is worth it.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:35 am »
This is a common occurence.  As a dealer who does not use this tactic, it is very frustrating.  When I tell people that their 15 year old leaking spa has little to no value, they inevitably tell me that the dealer down the street is offering them $2k!  I'm sure that I have lost a sale or two due to this dishonest tactic.

tjvisions

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:46:33 pm »
Yeah, it kind of turned me off to buying from him.....dont know if I can trust his pricing now. Regardless, of the price he gave me, which is the better value?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »
I don't think you could say either is the better value. More about what you want. The pulse has no lounge ad the sovereign has a lounge. If you take out the phony trade n value then they are priced similarly.  The pulse is a title bit bigger hence the higher price.  If you liked the longe n the sovereign get the lounge gain if not go with the pulse. I would also try and schedule a wet test to make sure you are getting what you really want

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42