What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Geo spa  (Read 60504 times)

brillskill

Re: Geo spa
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »
Yes I understand that, my question was cant I replace 2hp pump with 5.5hp pump if I hard wire to 220?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

Jac-470

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »
I believe on these is the 110v runs the pumps, so it can only go to a 2hp. The 110/220 runs the heater. So by running 220 your only going to make it stay hotter better in cold conditions, but doesn't help the pumps.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »
Yes I understand that, my question was cant I replace 2hp pump with 5.5hp pump if I hard wire to 220?
Yes, possibly. The control head should be able to run a 110 OR 220 main pump, but there must be a jumper or second location to plug the wire to the pump into. Look at the wiring diagram and see if it allows you to run the main pump on dual voltages.

Having said that, you really don't want to just put in a larger pump. It may not give you better action at the jets due to the size of the plumbing. May simply not be big enough to move more water, at least not enough to make it worth the money.

And, for the record, I doubt that the pump marked "5.5hp" is really a five and a half HP pump. They rarely are: only a couple of tub makers use real numbers, the rest mark their pumps with pretty much whatever number helps them sell tubs.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:17 pm »

If you replace JUST the motor, the pump will operate exactly the same as before. You'd also have to replace the impeller, and it's unlikely making such a jump in size the impeller would fit in the existing wet end.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »
I'd stick with what you're getting for now. If you find it too weak and/or the pump fails after warranty (or maybe during if they come up with some loophole to refuse to honor the warranty, sorry its Cal) you can "up pump" it to a higher HP but as was said what you gain may depend on the plumbing. If you do I probably wouldn't up pump it more than an extra half HP for that reason and believe it or not on a spa that size I think you'd notice an extra half HP.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

brillskill

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 05:31:21 pm »
Ok Ty..I was just curious Bruce me I am not changing the pump

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »
Warranty starts on the date of manufacture.  Bogus.  Warranty does not address labor.  Warranty is full of disclaimers.  Not true plug n play.  Requires 20 amp circuit.  425 gallons on 110v?  Not reasonable.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

brillskill

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »
"Requires 15 amp dedicated circuit"

brillskill

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:04 am »
i know you read warranty starts from date of manufacture,i was just sent warranty comfirmation..2 years from my official delivery date...btw when i called to ask about that the first response was "all tubs are built to order so its around 2 years anyway"..needless to say i wasnt having any of that!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 01:00:11 pm »
i know you read warranty starts from date of manufacture,i was just sent warranty comfirmation..2 years from my official delivery date...btw when i called to ask about that the first response was "all tubs are built to order so its around 2 years anyway"..needless to say i wasnt having any of that!

I imagine they keep minimal stock of built units and largely do build to order but its not uncommon for there to be a good month between the date of build and the date its installed, and sometimes longer. Cal does not have a great reputation for honoring their warranty to the dealer and customer and  1 month is a good chunk of time when your warranty is only 2 years so if it ever came to you having an issue where that time difference mattered I'd fully expect them to use it to their advantage, that’s just always been their way and its why they wrote the warranty that way. Again, I think the best thing going for you is this is an entry level spa with a shorter warranty, smaller with less things to go wrong so I'm certainly not expecting gloom and doom its just that when I see they have something that says the warranty starts upon the date the spa is built I'd fully expect that to be what they use when the time comes despite anything some customer rep says on the phone.

brillskill

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 01:06:09 pm »
i agree, whitch is why i was assured on delivery i would have the full 2 year in writing or refuse delivery

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 01:24:02 pm »
i agree, whitch is why i was assured on delivery i would have the full 2 year in writing or refuse delivery

Assured in what way? Will it say that on an invoice? No offense but this is Cal, they do their darndest to avoid paying for warranty claims.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »
Most manufacturers warranties have some type of clause saying something to the effect, that no other warranties, written or implied are valid. So, if the DEALER offers you something different that what the manufacturer has in writing, it would be the DEALERS responsibility to cover it....good luck on that one. I can't even begin to count the number of dealers/retail establishments that have gone under due to offering their own "extended warranties", and not having the resources to cover them when the time comes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

brillskill

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 02:17:06 pm »
not dealing with a dealer,buying from a drop ship internet retailer,cal spas assured me on delivery date i would get a written full  2 year warranty direct from cal spa via email and product registration..on my amex so if this is not the case i aint paying..

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:56 pm »
not dealing with a dealer,buying from a drop ship internet retailer,cal spas assured me on delivery date i would get a written full  2 year warranty direct from cal spa via email and product registration..on my amex so if this is not the case i aint paying..

I think you've done all you can do about this. You won't truly know unless an issue arises where you have a problem with about a month to go with the warranty and I'd fully expect them to initially attempt to deny it but if you have a good paper trail you may just be fine. Good luck and hope all works out well for you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42