What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Metal-Gon / Iron Issues  (Read 8814 times)

TdiDave

Metal-Gon / Iron Issues
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »
I have a bit of dissolved iron in my well water. On my recent fill I used a Pre-filter and one full bottle of Metal-Gon. All looked good for the first 5 days. Today I open the tub to find all the iron has precipitated out and is covering every surface of the tub.
Why would the Metal-Gon sequester the iron for 5 days then quit?

Hot Tub Forum

Metal-Gon / Iron Issues
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Metal-Gon / Iron Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:58 pm »
on the next fill use 2 bottles (assuming we're talking Metal Gon pint size) and make sure in the first 12-24 hours your are 1. hosing your filter(s) off at least a couple times (more if the water is really rusty)

also what type of pre-filter are we talking about? some of those "cheapie" $15-$30 ones work no better than wrapping a standard tube sock around the end of the hose

also, not to state the obvious but make sure in that first 24 hour period (after you have poured Metal Gon in) you are not adding any chemical that can oxidize the metals ie shock, chlorine, etc

TdiDave

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
My water dosent get rusty until you oxidize it.
Though I did not wait 24 hours after adding metal-Gon until I chlorinated.
Just don't understand why it worked for 5 days then allowed the iron to come out. For these first several days had nothing really to rinse off the filters.

Is metal-Gon a ortho-poly phosphate blend ?

This is a bigger mess than I had on first fill where I just oxidized it and filtered from the start. Did have the issue with it coating all the surfaces then. I just hit it with chlorine then some coagulate and filtered for a few hours and had a clean tub.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »
My water dosent get rusty until you oxidize it.
Though I did not wait 24 hours after adding metal-Gon until I chlorinated.
Just don't understand why it worked for 5 days then allowed the iron to come out. For these first several days had nothing really to rinse off the filters.

Is metal-Gon a ortho-poly phosphate blend ?

This is a bigger mess than I had on first fill where I just oxidized it and filtered from the start. Did have the issue with it coating all the surfaces then. I just hit it with chlorine then some coagulate and filtered for a few hours and had a clean tub.

I wonder, since according to you (correct me If I'm wrong) your water has not "tint" or otherwise obvious signs of metal in the water when you fill, but shows up later if you in fact used enough Metal Gon based on the capacity of your tub.  I know customers in my area on well water with our larger models (Grandee/Vista..500gal tubs) use sometimes 2 or 3 bottles of Metal Gon at start-up along with a pre-filter.  Not to turn this into a spa discussion but the Hot Spring's do pull water through the filter 24hrs per day, and in your scenario based on the fact there was nothing to hose off the filters, I'm wondering are you getting enough filtration during that first 24-36hrs? what type of spa? and what speed does it need to run on to achieve maximum filtration if there is no circulation pump?

avesrun

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:30 pm »
I hate to say it but I battled well water for years and finally succumbed to hauling water in from municipal source.  If that is at all an option I recommend it highly before you start cursing your hot tub on a regular basis.  I tried every chemical regimen out there and never found any consistent sucxess dealing with well water.  Good luck.

TdiDave

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:58 pm »
It is a Jacuzzi J-480 almost 500 gallons, so I very well may have not used enuf as I only used 1 bottle (16oz). I did find that interesting that its didn't say any volumes needed per gallon.

I have it set to run a 10 hour primary filter cycle (12am-10a) and a secondary 30 min filter at 4pm.

Correct the water from the tap is crystal clear, and the tub stayed crystal clear for 5 days. 13ppm Cl2 on the 1st day 9ppm on the second day. So I would have figured and iron that was (unsequestered) would have came out in that time.

The tub is all clear and clean now. Filters cleaned it up in about 24 hours.

So you think I should add 2 or more bottles next time?
Any idea what exactly the metal-Gon is?

TdiDave

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:51 pm »
I hate to say it but I battled well water for years and finally succumbed to hauling water in from municipal source.  If that is at all an option I recommend it highly before you start cursing your hot tub on a regular basis.  I tried every chemical regimen out there and never found any consistent sucxess dealing with well water.  Good luck.

Our local muni water would be the same as they use wells, and just use a phosphate sequeserant for the iron and manganese.

Once the iron is filtered out everything is fine, I was just hopeing the metal-Gon would save the time of washing all the iron particulate from the filter several times till its all gone.

Maybe I just need to use more.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:15:41 am »
It is a Jacuzzi J-480 almost 500 gallons, so I very well may have not used enuf as I only used 1 bottle (16oz). I did find that interesting that its didn't say any volumes needed per gallon.

I have it set to run a 10 hour primary filter cycle (12am-10a) and a secondary 30 min filter at 4pm.

Correct the water from the tap is crystal clear, and the tub stayed crystal clear for 5 days. 13ppm Cl2 on the 1st day 9ppm on the second day. So I would have figured and iron that was (unsequestered) would have came out in that time.

The tub is all clear and clean now. Filters cleaned it up in about 24 hours.

So you think I should add 2 or more bottles next time?
Any idea what exactly the metal-Gon is?

I believe the pint size is rated up to 500 gallons...personally I have never had the need to use more than 1 bottle but like I mentioned I have customers on well water who religiously use 2 or 3 bottles at startup.   I've also had customers use products like Bioguard's "Pool Magnet" which is another good product to remove metals and highly concentrated because it is made for use in swimming pools

avesrun

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:09 am »
I believe the earlier suggestion regarding cleaning off the filters religiously in the early going after initial refill is very good advice. 
Anyone have advice on how to avoid sending a cloud of iron into the spa water when unscrewing the filters?

TdiDave

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:19:58 am »
My Iron problems will be gone.

Installing a full iron removal system on my well. Not going to let my $$$ hot tub get all stained up.

avesrun

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:46 pm »
Please let me know how that iron filter works for you. Do you also have a water softener unit?

TdiDave

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
The iron filter worked great, just drained and refilled this past weekend for the first time sense installing the filter on my well water.  I don't have a softener just this filter (it's mixed media: green sand, KDF and brim) it used air to oxidize the iron so it can be filtered out. 
I was crossing my fingers after I dumped in the diChlor and went to bed, the next morning I opened the cover and was very happy to see clear color free water. Was worried filling the entire tub would over load the filter.

As a bonus we can now use some bleach in the laundry and the toilets are looking better than they have in some time.

I would recommend anyone that has iron in there well water to get one of these.  Media should last up to 10 years (based on loadings) for the one I got. It back washes every 3 days.  Nothing really to maintain.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42