What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New tub water change ?  (Read 2694 times)

TdiDave

New tub water change ?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:04 am »
I was wondering what the general opinion is for a new tub first water change?

Is it best to run a few weeks then dump and start fresh? Are cleaners needed?

Hot Tub Forum

New tub water change ?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: New tub water change ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »
We have around here what we call "Chas' Law" about that and generally recommend dumping a new tub at around a month. I know some of that is attributed to new tub owners tending to over due things. Perhaps Chas will come along and add any validity to just dumping what is in the tub.  I know some manufacturers fill their tubs with water to leak check and perhaps some old water may be sitting in the tub awhile.  I just dumped my new tub after 4 weeks mainly because it was late November and I may not get another opportunity to do so again if the weather gets cold.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TdiDave

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »
my tub is about 2 weeks old now. It was new from factory but did have some water in it when it got here, it did make my fresh fill look a brown/green color. Its nice and clean now but as you state the weather is going to get cold for the next few months.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
my tub is about 2 weeks old now. It was new from factory but did have some water in it when it got here, it did make my fresh fill look a brown/green color. Its nice and clean now but as you state the weather is going to get cold for the next few months.

Are you in Maryland?  (A guess on my part based on your IP address)  At  2 weeks old, if your water looks good I would try to ride it out watching the 10 day forecast. If you see a prolonged below freezing spell coming, dump before that.  Having owned a tub for 10 years now, and its just my wife and I , I have no doubt I could make it 4 months. 4 months from now puts me in early March. Last year we had our last frost and 70s in March.   2 years ago we had an extended cold snap with a lot of snow.  Fortunately, my newer tub drains in 1/4th the time my old tub did so I can also bring a hose out from the basement and drain and refill in a hurry.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:09 am »
It's true - I have recommended a 30-day refill to all my new owners. Your skin empties it's pores much more completely into a hot tub than any shower, add to that the learning curve of over attention, extra visitors, laundry soap, and general extra use a tub gets while brand new - AND throw in the wet-test from the factory, and you will be pleasantly surprised by how good the water feels and acts after this one-time water change.

Bill will not have the normal oil ring because he went right from his Dynasty to his shiny new spa, but most new owners don't currently have a tub and most are amazed at the water line which forms the first few days...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42