What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Grande  (Read 5443 times)

Leigh_in_Toledo

HS Grande
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:34:52 pm »
My husband and I started looking at hot tubs today and were impressed with the HS Grande.  

This is a huge expense and want to make a good decision and I think with this site we might be able too.

I know hot springs has been around for a long time which is good but I read on another site something that concerned me.  The reason I am not taking it at face value is because the person who wrote it I think works for another spa company.

He was claiming that even though HS did have a UL rating that it is incorrect and has caused several fires.  Has anyone else heard about this??

From reading posts, I am assuming that the top spas are pretty much the same and just depends on how they actually feel when you sit in them?

Many of you have mentioned a 'wet" test.  Our dealer does have some that have water in them but not the model we are interested in.  Should we request he fill the model we are interested in?

Price is another issue.  I see there are huge ranges from place to place on the same model.  How much bargaining can you do with a spa store and how can you find out prices?

Thanks for your responses,, I have a feeling I am just beginning to scratch the surface of spas.

Karen

Hot Tub Forum

HS Grande
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:34:52 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: HS Grande
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 10:54:59 pm »
Hi Karen.

The site you are referring to uses scare tactics to persuade people away from any company but his. He's called the "spa deceptionist". Said lovingly of course. ::)

The worst information you will ever receive is from competing dealers and especially when they are so desperate that they'll resort to the sort of lows you read. It's sad really and we wish he would just focus on his product (which needs help in itself) ;D instead of badmouthing every other spa company out there.

You are talking about the largest spa company in the world and they didn't get there by luck. Now, I am a dealer of Beachcomber and I know I said "The worst information you will ever receive is from competing dealers", but forget that for now... ;D

You will find a very complete package in HotSprings and I'm sure you will be very happy. The fire [he] mentioned was years ago and there was a massive recall which cost HS a tonne of money to do. They rose to the problem and delt with it a long time ago. Jim stoill lives in the past. I'm sure if want more info, there's a smart cookie  ;) named Chas who stops by to help out. I'm sure he could offer more details if you require.

Steve

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 10:56:13 pm »
If you are referring to the spadeceptionist,you are assuming correctly,he's an internet spa peddler,pushing a re-branded Phoenix spa. I would highly suggest avoiding him and most internet spa dealers.

There are several good spa manufacturers that I would recommend,and in no particular order,they are......Hot-Springs,Caldera,Marquis,Beachcombers,D-1,Sundance,and Jacuzzi. If possible,wet-test as many of these makers as you can. Not all spas are the same,and the best way of finding that out,is in wet-testing. Avoid the bells and whistles(radios/tv's).

Take your time,and don't be in a rush to make a purchase,and you will do fine :)
GL!

P.S. ... If your spa dealer can't fill a spa for you to wet-test it,I would suggest looking elsewhere. Would make me wonder how customer friendly they would be AFTER the sale too?.?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 12:37:53 am »
Hello Karen,

The Grandee is a wonderful spa. I have owned several of them. I have a Vista right now, but I think we'll do a Grandee next year - I miss the wide-open seating, and I'm buoyancy challenged so I float out of the recliner.

As to the UL listing: For years HotSpring has used ETL (another testing lab) to test and list several of our other spas and several components such as Ozone systems and the like. ETL is every bit as recognized as UL when it comes to building authorities such as inspectors, so you have nothing to worry about. In fact, ETL uses the UL standard to test spas, and the ANSI standards, so you are getting a product that is every bit as safe as it would be if it were tested in the other labs.

Now - as to the site you mentioned: it is in error. HotSpring chose to move to another lab - there was no 'lost' listing. If that were true, ETL - who uses the UL standard - would not have listed our tubs.

As a rule, I tell people that it doesn't make much sense to try to learn about our tubs from a competitor. However, I have amended that recently: if they say something nice about us, you can believe it  ;)

I really do recommend a wet test. There are a lot of really great tubs out there.  I think HotSpring makes a great tub and you can't go wrong with one, but you should let your backside decide.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 06:36:23 am »
Hi Karen.

The site you are referring to uses scare tactics to persuade people away from any company but his.

I guess I've been around awhile now, I knew which site she was referring to  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 07:29:08 am »
Hi Karen,

I have the Vanguard, which seems to me to be the smaller version of the Grandee.  I absolutely love my spa!  I have had it for 8-9 months now and could not imagine my life without it!  You might wet test it, if they have it available.  I am with Auto, though, ask them if they will fill a Grandee.  I believe the main difference (someone correct me if I am wrong) is the Grandee is deeper than the Vanguard, the Grandee has 2 pumps instead of just one, and, if I can remember right, a couple of the seats have different jet configurations.  On second thought, ask if they would fill it for you.  The LA Spa dealer and Sundance dealer both filled spas for me, once they knew I was truly serious about buying.

The folks (dealers and non-dealers) here are the best.  You have gotten wise words from some of the best!  Good luck!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Electro

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 01:40:15 pm »
Chas,

Having worked with folks from both UL and ETL, and having assessed their abilities and competence, I'd say that ETL was superior to UL as an electrical safety testing lab.  I believe ETL does a better job in assessing what really matters.

Also, I feel UL has gone too far in helping their (customer) companies, especially those who outsource products to foreign countries, e.g. China and India.  I've seen UL Listed products made in these countries that are not safe in my opinion.

I also have some experience with a U.S. manufacturer that changed their product line without getting it re-examined by UL.  That company cheated and put the original UL label on its products.  When I and others complained that it was unsafe, UL's primary interest appeared to be that they should be profiting from the manufacturing changes by being paid to re-examine the items.  My employer banned that manufacturer's products, since they showed themselves to be untrustworthy and willing to sell an unsafe product.  But, UL only wanted to be paid again, after the changes that we insisted were fixed in the unsafe products.

However, no one can compete with UL in standards.  They're the best in that regard.  Of course, they are actually developed mostly by others through the ANSI consensus process.

Electro

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 03:05:36 pm »

I also have some experience with a U.S. manufacturer that changed their product line without getting it re-examined by UL.  That company cheated and put the original UL label on its products.  

Electro

Something sounds a little familiar here.  Where could I have possibly heard a story similar to this before?
Brewman
Brewman

mowgli

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 04:10:59 pm »
I am waiting for delivery of my Hot Springs Envoy.  I did alot of homework and to me it comes down to either the Hot Spring or Sundance units.  Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 04:10:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42