What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Independent Study - Arctic  (Read 8729 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Independent Study - Arctic
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:55:18 am »
So here's the thing...

I've heard from a couple of dealers and owners talk about this "independent study" but have yet to SEE anything on it.

So let's see it people!! I know that if we conducted an "independent study" and we came out leaps and bounds on top, I would have it plastered all over the web and on every piece of advertising we did! I keep hearing of this but yet nobody can get it. Even customers when they ask for it. They hear the sales pitch, but nothing to show them the results? Hmmmmmmmmm Makes one wonder... :-/

If someone has it, please share. We've been waiting for a study like this for years. And to think that the company that organized this “study” came out on top supposedly.  Whooda thunk it? ::) ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 10:56:57 am by Steve »

Hot Tub Forum

Independent Study - Arctic
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:55:18 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Independent Study - Arctic
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 10:34:06 am »
When ever I shop for a high dollar item I always tell the salesperson "do not claim it, prove it". Cuts a lot of the BS out.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 10:45:22 am »
Yeah, but can you PROVE that you actually say that?  

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 02:56:39 pm »
I would love to see someone reputable like Consumer Reports do a rating on Hot Tubs.

I don't think Consumers digest is reputable as they take money for their ratings.  They do not back their ratings with facts.

I have looked at the engineering of a Spa. It sure differs from make to make,  Pipe sizing, matching the the flow rates  to the number of pumps and jets, Filtration methods, Ozination, re length of contact tube, 24/7 circulation.  Foundation design, Wood,  or  Steel.  Full Foam or thermo pane. Costs of operation, Quality of the Spa Shell, estimates of longevity of the pumps, heater etc.

Then there are the distractions such as fiber optic lighting, I understand that repeaters are expensive and hard to replace, Waterfalls, Stereos, TV's, sperm skimmers etc.

It is very hard to get the hard facts, however every one has an opinion.  Lots of emotional opinions without one iota of backup to substantiate.  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:02:25 pm by ZzTop »

Cajun_Mike

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 12:02:10 am »
I would love to see someone reputable like Consumer Reports do a rating on Hot Tubs.

I

I am a member of consumer reports online and I emailed them a few weeks ago about them doing a report on hot tubs.  I got a response that basically said they would forward my email to the right department, etc. etc....... consumer digest is not nearly as reputable.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 04:15:41 am »

I am a member of consumer reports online and I emailed them a few weeks ago about them doing a report on hot tubs.  I got a response that basically said they would forward my email to the right department, etc. etc....... consumer digest is not nearly as reputable.

Mike I have done the same thing.  Lets see what happens.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 10:52:02 am »
HotSpring spas and many others have also asked for independant studies.

We did hire an independant firm to do an energy study, hoping that others would do the same so at least we could establish a comparison among those makers who had the same tests done, but spa makers are very independant folks....

I have heard that Consumers Digest is reputable, and I have heard that it's not. I tend to think it is, but you have to go with what you know, I guess.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 12:15:17 pm »
I was at a service class a couple of years ago in Atlanta provided by Marquis Spas and operation cost came up. The guy there stated Marquis did a test with three spas in a refrigerated truck. The spas were a Marquis, Hot Spring and Sundance. They had sensors all over all three units and had them hooked to power consumption meters. He said what they found out is they were all three just about equal. The two places on all three spas that they found most heat loss was the hinge in the cover and out the bottom of the spa. Marquis added a product called Low-E around the spa and the bottom and added insulation under the hinge of the cover. Not sure if Hot Springs or Sundance has changed anything to their bottoms and cover hinge.

I have one of the new covers and it did help, the last time I got snow it did not melt across the hinge like my old did.

I feel that most quality spas operating cost are fairly equal. Usage of the spa is the biggest factor in operating cost. The more the cover is off the more it cost.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 12:40:46 pm »
I completely agree. If you took the top 6 manufacturers, I doubt there's a $5.00/month difference in operating costs given the same conditions. It's funny really; people spend $8000.00 on a spa and the dealer will split hairs saying how much more energy efficient their's is. These same people will spend $100.00 on a nice supper out a couple times a month and yet beat themselves to death on a full foamed/thermal pain ;) decision. People are funny creatures really! ;D

I guess that's my frustration in the Arctic study. Not only can't they provide the results (which makes me think they didn't come out on top) and they use it like everyone else is so much more costly without proof of anything. It's a joke and people should really be looking at how their individual dealer promotes their product and decide if they want to give them their business based on moral integrity.

For those of you searching for info on a spa, make these absurd claims silent by telling these dealers to show proof. Base your decision on comfort, therapy, low maintenance and the history of that individual dealer.

It's funny how so many get caught up in things that equate to about 3% of the purchase. They drive for hours and search for months without the real knowledge needed to make a good purchase. It's not about saving $500.00 anymore. It's far more long-term than that. These people want water falls, misters, disco balls hanging over their tub and pop up TV's. It's time to wake up consumers... you would be upset if someone broke into your bank account and stole thousands but you'll buy into these products without question.

OK.. I'll shut up now! :-X  Rant, rant rant.... ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 12:43:29 pm by Steve »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 01:53:44 pm »

I feel that most quality spas operating cost are fairly equal. Usage of the spa is the biggest factor in operating cost. The more the cover is off the more it cost.

Gary

Well stated!  
And I can personally vouch for the cover being off part.  This past winter, when we were in a cold spell, probably in the low teens above zero, I noticed that my spa cover was unfolded half way.  I have no idea how it got that way, or how long it was partially uncovered, but I had to add about 40 or 50 gallons of water (Toting about 4 gallons in a pail at a time) to top it back up.  If I recall, my electric bill was probably $20 or more higher than it should have been.  

Never did solve that mystery.  
Brewman

fedmandoo

• which brand do we buy???? Hummm still looking
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 10:07:09 pm »

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 12:28:48 am »
I must be a serious geek - I'm starting to work on a spreadsheet model comparing heat recovery spas to non heat recovery spas. ::)

When I get it figured out, I'll make it available for comments and messing around with.

Starlight

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 02:06:23 pm »
I must be a serious geek - I'm starting to work on a spreadsheet model comparing heat recovery spas to non heat recovery spas. ::)

When I get it figured out, I'll make it available for comments and messing around with.

Yep--a serious geek ;)  But it's the serious geeks who drive technology forward.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 02:06:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42