why is so hard to get msrp on spas ?

Hot Tub Forum

spas
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:06 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: spas
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »
Most tubs do have Msrp's.  I don't know of any dealer who sells for full msrp which is probably why you don't see them advertised.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:20:20 am »
If brand A's MSRP is twice the wholesale cost of the spa, and brand B is three times the cost, and brand A dealer sells at 20% below msrp and brand B dealer sells at 40% below MSRP, what's the relevance of MSRP?

MSRP is an arbitrary number that allows for a seller to discount from to make it LOOK like one is getting a good deal, yet the seller still makes a very reasonable profit. As Hottubguy says, I've never known anyone to sell anything at MSRP.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:11 am »
If brand A's MSRP is twice the wholesale cost of the spa, and brand B is three times the cost, and brand A dealer sells at 20% below msrp and brand B dealer sells at 40% below MSRP, what's the relevance of MSRP?

MSRP is an arbitrary number that allows for a seller to discount from to make it LOOK like one is getting a good deal, yet the seller still makes a very reasonable profit. As Hottubguy says, I've never known anyone to sell anything at MSRP.

I've been around long enough to get it, but you know the consumer fears walking out the door and hearing the employees laughing, or calling up their colleaques and telling them, "You won't believe what this guy paid" Come on admit it, you guys have your secret sellers forum and you post pictures of the pigeons right?  ;)

Even the 2nd time going in a little better armed, I was leary. But I think I did ok. (Mike this is where you jump in and reassure me)   I'm sure he was able to supersize his order that night.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:16 am »
I'm sure this was meant tongue-in-cheek, but I have not seen any post that is less deserving of having come from you, Bill.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:06:37 am »
When I was shopping around and calling dealers farther away I discovered a couple of things.  One, a few didn't want to give any pricing over the phone, they wanted me to come in first (and I understand that).  Another observation with the point you raise, I ended up calling a couple of hot tub mfgs direct to ask them what a "list price" would be on a tub, then I called the dealers to see what they were quoting (at least those that did give pricing over the phone).  In a couple of cases, they quoted over the list price; then, proceeded to highlight a different and more expensive model that I wasn't interested in - but I get it, they're pushing what yields them a greater profit margin or perhaps what they have in stock currently, or are more familiar with, etc. - could be a  host of reasons.

My wife's cousin about 10 years ago helped out part time at a place and back then, whatever price they had on a tub, sale or not, there was often close to a 40% mark up on it (that may have changed slightly now).  At any rate, that sounds about right to me; considering all the overhead costs on the part of the dealer and the fact that they typically don't sell large volumes of hot tubs per month and many include delivery and factor-in including steps, cover and start up chemicals, etc.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
I'm sure this was meant tongue-in-cheek, but I have not seen any post that is less deserving of having come from you, Bill.

Yes, tounge in cheek and partially pulled from a comedy skit somewhere, SNL perhaps.  You know that is a perception by a few in any industry that doesn't have a sticker price that you take to the register. Heck, I might even had pulled that idea from an old Saturn Car dealer commercial when they were out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:04 pm »

About the only retail place I see MSRP come in to play is new golf equipment, it's crazy prices.   New drivers that come out retail at 499.00.  Four months later if that they are priced down to 199.00 because a new driver is hitting the market. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »

I've been around long enough to get it, but you know the consumer fears walking out the door and hearing the employees laughing, or calling up their colleaques and telling them, "You won't believe what this guy paid" Come on admit it, you guys have your secret sellers forum and you post pictures of the pigeons right?  ;)

Even the 2nd time going in a little better armed, I was leary. But I think I did ok. (Mike this is where you jump in and reassure me)   I'm sure he was able to supersize his order that night.

whats XYZ product worth?  its worth what someone is willing to pay  :-X

mjb

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:09:16 pm »
Bill, you got a great deal on a great spa. 
Especially with the courtesy towels and robes package.

vangoghsear

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:23 pm »

Did he throw in the complimentary skinny dip bathing suit?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »

especially if they are "branded" towels and robe...not completely sure about jacuzzi/sundance but those towels and robes are not cheap if they have the logo on them

mjb

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
They are the finest Egyptian cotton towels
branded with the Sundance Spas' logo.
The robes feature the logo as well and are
super-soft, warm and absorbent.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »
We sell similar items with the HotSpring logo - for about $100 for a three-piece set!! $150 for two robes.

BUT mine has lasted me years and years.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42